LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hmmm i don't know what to think here, i think we could benefit from a bruiser quick back like eddie lacy though, im not sure latimore is the answer but who knows.
Dixon is not part of the answer...
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Game 1: 21 carries, 44 yards (2.1 ypc)

Game 2: 9 carries, 16 yards (1.6 ypc)

Gore has looked slow and has shown very little explosion and wiggle. We may finally be witnessing his decline and I think it's time we give Hunter and Dixon more touches (1 carry each last night).

What do you attribute to Gore's lack of production in the first two weeks. Is it age, or is he just experiencing a slow start?

Dix has 1 carry for 4 yards
Kendall Hunter is 2.4 ypc with 7 carries

I don't think anyone else has had a carry? Never mind Gore being the best pass blocker of the bunch..who is out performing him?
The problem is not Gore the problem is scheme. Need more plays from under center thus also allowing for play action passes. I for one am not sold on the read option unless of course you want to see you Qb get killed at some point. When you rarely pass out of the read option the defense pretty much knows that a run is coming. Gimmick that has already been solved by NFL defensive coaches.
  • Jiks
Guy showed plenty of explosiveness on that play in preseason. It's still there just no room to run.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Game 1: 21 carries, 44 yards (2.1 ypc)

Game 2: 9 carries, 16 yards (1.6 ypc)

Gore has looked slow and has shown very little explosion and wiggle. We may finally be witnessing his decline and I think it's time we give Hunter and Dixon more touches (1 carry each last night).

What do you attribute to Gore's lack of production in the first two weeks. Is it age, or is he just experiencing a slow start?
its the god damn line, they have forgotten how to run block, all gore needs is a small window,, he can not even get that. this is not hard to figure out, the run blocking is horrid, they just got pushed around last night and that is not gores fault. vic washington could not have run behind that line
Guys, come on. It was an 8 man line, screaming out for ....WCO passes....dinks and dunks. Anything to get 8, and sometimes 9 guys off LOS. NOBODY runs thru an 8 man line...nobody. And that includes Frank. Why roman and Coach were so pigheaded about not throwing short quick hitters to back those guys off is a puzzlement.
Wasn't hard to see, half the board saw it. So that has nothing to do with Frank, but all to do with an 8 man line....which WCO is geared to defeat. They back off the line, frank makes yards. 8 or 9 guys on the LOS and frank makes 16 yds on 9 carries.

The math is simple : 8 guys on 5 guys. How do fans watching on TV and not the coaches see this? So cc, I think frank was fine, just got some really bad game calls , exactly like last game in SEA. Same song, second verse.

What I really am afraid of? Is roman being so enamored of kap's big cannon, that he won't call short stuff, slants and outs, which would have eaten up SEA. on an 8 man line. Do that and they back up....then you run frank...not before. 8 guys rushing, 5 guys defending....doesn't work out.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
hmmm i don't know what to think here, i think we could benefit from a bruiser quick back like eddie lacy though, im not sure latimore is the answer but who knows.

Lattimore is strong and slippery. His vision is a thousand times better than lacys too.
Somehow I feel we've been down this road before.....
Franks burst looks slower and less explosive. put on the superbowl and then put on these last games. I wonder if he is hurt? He just looks different.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Guys, come on. It was an 8 man line, screaming out for ....WCO passes....dinks and dunks. Anything to get 8, and sometimes 9 guys off LOS. NOBODY runs thru an 8 man line...nobody. And that includes Frank. Why roman and Coach were so pigheaded about not throwing short quick hitters to back those guys off is a puzzlement.
Wasn't hard to see, half the board saw it. So that has nothing to do with Frank, but all to do with an 8 man line....which WCO is geared to defeat. They back off the line, frank makes yards. 8 or 9 guys on the LOS and frank makes 16 yds on 9 carries.

The math is simple : 8 guys on 5 guys. How do fans watching on TV and not the coaches see this? So cc, I think frank was fine, just got some really bad game calls , exactly like last game in SEA. Same song, second verse.

What I really am afraid of? Is roman being so enamored of kap's big cannon, that he won't call short stuff, slants and outs, which would have eaten up SEA. on an 8 man line. Do that and they back up....then you run frank...not before. 8 guys rushing, 5 guys defending....doesn't work out.

Frank ran through 8-9 man boxes for years. watch pretty much any game in the nolan singletary era.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:

Frank ran through 8-9 man boxes for years. watch pretty much any game in the nolan singletary era.

Ever since he has neen a 49er. We never had a QB teams had to stop. Now we do but SEA has DB's that can play straight man.

So because he can run through a 9 man box with no holes and being met by a defender as soon as he gets the ball, he's declining? I wouldn't dare say that he's in 2006 form. But he's still a good back. Keep in mind he was coming off statisically the second best season of his career.

In a situation like this, you can't simply look at numbers to tell the entire story. Look at Alex Smith for example. It seems he always hovers around 200 yards passing. But no one would argue that Alex Smith is in 2006-2009 form now, despite still hovering around 200 yards passing.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
So because he can run through a 9 man box with no holes and being met by a defender as soon as he gets the ball, he's declining? I wouldn't dare say that he's in 2006 form. But he's still a good back. Keep in mind he was coming off statisically the second best season of his career.

In a situation like this, you can't simply look at numbers to tell the entire story. Look at Alex Smith for example. It seems he always hovers around 200 yards passing. But no one would argue that Alex Smith is in 2006-2009 form now, despite still hovering around 200 yards passing.

I have said many times I love frank. Im concerned there is a fall off from last year to this year. If he struggles against the colts I will be really worried. Maybe he is hiding an injury or something. I don't know. But like I said watch the superbowl, and then watch these last 2 games. He looks different to me. All that said I hope he drops 200 yards on the colts this week and proves me wrong.
Originally posted by pd24:

Ever since he has neen a 49er. We never had a QB teams had to stop. Now we do but SEA has DB's that can play straight man.

and we have bargain bin receivers besides Boldin for right now. i think our most glaring need is receiver. they should have had packages ready for Harper and Baldwin against seattles huge secondary
Share 49ersWebzone