There are 152 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by Sugar_Rush:
I guess this situation and the final possession was a sign of inexperience in these types of situations when it comes to reading defenses and figuring out the best options. I remember a lot people saying that Kaep's inexperience would be our downfall. I know we had a QB on the roster that has been in these types of situations and came through in the clutch. Ugh, those guys were right!

Except that the 49ers would more than likely not have been in the Super Bowl to begin with the other QB on the roster.

There's a 50/50 chance you are wrong with that statement, but the guys were 100% right about his inexperience being our downfall.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I guess this situation and the final possession was a sign of inexperience in these types of situations when it comes to reading defenses and figuring out the best options. I remember a lot people saying that Kaep's inexperience would be our downfall. I know we had a QB on the roster that has been in these types of situations and came through in the clutch. Ugh, those guys were right!

Except that the 49ers would more than likely not have been in the Super Bowl to begin with the other QB on the roster.

There's a 50/50 chance you are wrong with that statement, but the guys were 100% right about his inexperience being our downfall.

That wasn't our downfall. And the chance is not 50/50 that I'm right. The way the defense played in the playoffs makes it highly unlikely, based on the way Smith plays, that we would have been in the Super Bowl with him.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Kap can't throw a fade to save his life. I love the dude and I'm excited about his as the future QB for the next 5-10 years but this play and the play at the end to Crabtree were the same thing I've seen all season - he can throw it 60 yards but can't throw that fade

This stems more from lack of experience/chemistry with the receivers than ability. -Aaron Rodgers couldn't throw a vertical fade to save his life without staring down the receiver, going into his first year as a starter (4th career year).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Feb 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM ]
This was an alarming trend in the RZ. Unblocked defenders. All the more reason we shouldn't have gone so spread in those situations.
It is wrong to say Alex wouldn't have got us into the SB, or wouldn't have brought the team back from a deficit. Smith plays differently when the team is behind. When it is ahead and the defense is doing well, he plays conservatively, which drives some of you crazy. But I thought he was coached to play this way. Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps H told him to play aggressive, but Alex refused. Perhaps that is why he was benched. But if that was the case, Alex had pretty good success with his philosophy - 14-4 in 2011, and 6-2 in 2012 - best NFL team W-L record during that time span.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
This was an alarming trend in the RZ. Unblocked defenders. All the more reason we shouldn't have gone so spread in those situations.

Thats the thing that upset me as well. Why not go with what got us through the season. I would have expected Miller or Walker back there also to pick up a blitz and give the Ravens a thought that we might run.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by excelsior:
It is wrong to say Alex wouldn't have got us into the SB, or wouldn't have brought the team back from a deficit. Smith plays differently when the team is behind. When it is ahead and the defense is doing well, he plays conservatively, which drives some of you crazy. But I thought he was coached to play this way. Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps H told him to play aggressive, but Alex refused. Perhaps that is why he was benched. But if that was the case, Alex had pretty good success with his philosophy - 14-4 in 2011, and 6-2 in 2012 - best NFL team W-L record during that time span.

Who cares what Alex would have done
3 things:

1. BAL was definitely offsides
2. The RB is always taught to get the closer defender which Gore was correct in getting the one closer to Kaep.
3. Staley may have went after the wrong player.

Either way, it should have been offside.
Originally posted by excelsior:

And Kap was 7-3 as a starter. Let's not forget, though, that Alex benefited from a great defense and very good special teams play. He had a hard time coming back in both games we went down this season. At Minnesota, even though the deficit was never all that great, Alex had a terrible game and was never able to bring the team back. Against the Giants he had a total meltdown. To think that all of a sudden he would be able to come back from large deficits is, in my opinion, not based on reality.
let's not turn this into Alex vs Kap, it'll get locked QUICK

The offense scored a grand total of 6 points against the Ravens with Alex Smith running it. The offense scored 29 points against the Ravens with Colin Kaepernick running it. What you're implying is that Alex Smith could have brought the Niners back from 22 points down against the same team. What makes you think the guy who got six points could have done better than the guy who got 29 points?
Originally posted by vrabbit:
let's not turn this into Alex vs Kap, it'll get locked QUICK

Talk to Sugar Rush about that. If he wants to keep posting b***hy little innuendos about how everything would have turned out right if Alex Smith was in there, you should expect some of us to respond with reasonable arguments about why that's b.s. In absence of Sugar Rush's posts, I'd have nothing to say on the matter.
Baltimore was horribly offsides. Gore should have taken the outside guy, regardless. He was going to reach the QB sooner. CK could have been shiftier. Do a pump fake, get the defender off his feet. Tenth start, whaddya want....
The thing that irratated me about the 2 pt attempt was it seemed Kap just threw it and gave up on the play when Reed came free.

Throw it and at least give your guy a chance, even if its a pick the play is dead right there so no worries about that. He just seemed to rifle past everybody and nobody had a chance at it.
Originally posted by rondoman:
The thing that irratated me about the 2 pt attempt was it seemed Kap just threw it and gave up on the play when Reed came free.

Throw it and at least give your guy a chance, even if its a pick the play is dead right there so no worries about that. He just seemed to rifle past everybody and nobody had a chance at it.

Tenth start, it's okay.
Share 49ersWebzone