There are 281 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by cciowa:
you are right, f**k york,, it was good enough to get within five yards of a super bowl trophy, no need to try to win the game, it was good enough just to get there

That was a wasted opportunity and as a report I read recently stated a blemish to our organization. The report stated that numerous 49er alumni were pissed we lost that game because w don't lose Super Bowls. That loss ruined perfection. Now some fans here will excoriate me for saying this but I felt exactly that way and I am glad our alumni felt the same way. We could always say we never lost a Super Bowl just like MJ but now we can't! Smh

of course this is the truth,, the bathwater drinkers of the former coaches run around here shrilling we should be happy just to get there because lots of teams lose super bowls.. what kind of mentality is that,, we do not go to super bowls to lose them,, that may be fine for other teams but not for this team. of course you should feel the way you do, of course the alumni should feel the way you do. we were betrayed by the very people, coaches, that are supposed to do what is best for the team. and to this day i laugh my ass off at those who say had eddie been here , he never would have done away with the x coach and would have handled it in a classy way,,,,, let me tell you something and good posters like pill, nc, doc, whoever else know this to be true,,,,,,,, had eddie been the owner he would have DEMANDED someone get fired five minutes after the super bowl,, he would have DEMANDED those responsible for the that comedy of f**king errors on second and goal be fired. anyone who thinks different knows NOTHING about niner history and the tradition, the expectations of perfection and victory when you are in a super bowl.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
you are right, f**k york,, it was good enough to get within five yards of a super bowl trophy, no need to try to win the game, it was good enough just to get there

That was a wasted opportunity and as a report I read recently stated a blemish to our organization. The report stated that numerous 49er alumni were pissed we lost that game because w don't lose Super Bowls. That loss ruined perfection. Now some fans here will excoriate me for saying this but I felt exactly that way and I am glad our alumni felt the same way. We could always say we never lost a Super Bowl just like MJ but now we can't! Smh

of course this is the truth,, the bathwater drinkers of the former coaches run around here shrilling we should be happy just to get there because lots of teams lose super bowls.. what kind of mentality is that,, we do not go to super bowls to lose them,, that may be fine for other teams but not for this team. of course you should feel the way you do, of course the alumni should feel the way you do. we were betrayed by the very people, coaches, that are supposed to do what is best for the team. and to this day i laugh my ass off at those who say had eddie been here , he never would have done away with the x coach and would have handled it in a classy way,,,,, let me tell you something and good posters like pill, nc, doc, whoever else know this to be true,,,,,,,, had eddie been the owner he would have DEMANDED someone get fired five minutes after the super bowl,, he would have DEMANDED those responsible for the that comedy of f**king errors on second and goal be fired. anyone who thinks different knows NOTHING about niner history and the tradition, the expectations of perfection and victory when you are in a super bowl.

This is all true. Eddie nearly fired Walsh on several occassions, and it took Carmen Policy to keep him from doing that. Harbaugh ran the team like he was the owner, and that just is not going to fly when you are unwilling to adapt. Look all the way back to the Thanksgiving game against the Ravens. That was the game, Harbaugh's philosophy was exposed. After that point, every team that beat us used the same exact formula. When teams can rip off what you are doing (Hard-nosed running, and ball control), and do it better than you, with lesser talent, you need to do something to fix that. Instead of fixing it, he stayed the course, and it ended up with him packing his khakis into his walmart luggage.
I was just reading an old ESPN mag. An article about aging RBs who are going to hit the wall. They targeted Frank and Lynch. With 816 carries between 2011-2013 franks projected out to 180 carries for 666 yards in 2014, 3.7 ypc. The metric was based on RBs of his age who had gotten a similar workload.

No one beats Father Time but not all RB are created equal. Most bell cow backs were leaned on more heavily than Gore at 28 - 30. I think his window of production was expanded by "saving" him. Those 25 carry games were few and far between in the Harb era. I hope the FO can appreciate his uniqueness when it comes to mileage and Frank can appreciate he's 32.

It's all what others will offer. In 2015, I think we should pay for 200 car 800 yds and most importantly, what Frank does for stability, veteran leadership and his playability. After all, he has the current active streak for most consecutive games started by an RB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
i think one of the most important runs he ever had, aside from all of the invaluable third downs and short to get big first downs at the end of games ,, was the run vs the seattle at home in the last game we ever won over those people,, esp the way he fell down on purpose in order to let the team burn up more clock time. it also made aikman and buck cry because we won the game

I agree, what I also liked about that game is Boldin made Sherman his b***h.

Did they re-sign Frank Gore WTF is taking them so godt damn long!!!!
They are going to let him walk
if he wants more than three million, then let him walk.. and i have a hard time with three million to be honest

Why not $8 mil for 2 years, he's definitely earned it.
Its clear we are desperate for cap space. I think its time to move on. Retire his number as a Niner great, but we just can't afford him.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Its clear we are desperate for cap space. I think its time to move on. Retire his number as a Niner great, but we just can't afford him.

Agree. This is a deep RB class too. Let Hyde and Hunter run the ball and draft a guy in the middle rounds to groom.
How quickly people forget what this team was before Harbaugh. Now they think any coach can come in and take this team to a Super Bowl victory. SMH.

Let's see what tune you're singing when we turn in a 6-10 season in 2015. Then will you still be chastising Harbaugh for "blemishing" the organization with a Super Bowl loss? Do you remember just wishing with everything you had that the team would secure a playoff spot from '03-'10?

In terms of Gore, he's my favorite player since Rice. That's why I started this thread so many moons ago. But in fairness to him, I'd rather see him suit up elsewhere and get a ring than close a storied career in SF on the same low point he began his career here with.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
How quickly people forget what this team was before Harbaugh. Now they think any coach can come in and take this team to a Super Bowl victory. SMH.

Let's see what tune you're singing when we turn in a 6-10 season in 2015. Then will you still be chastising Harbaugh for "blemishing" the organization with a Super Bowl loss? Do you remember just wishing with everything you had that the team would secure a playoff spot from '03-'10?

In terms of Gore, he's my favorite player since Rice. That's why I started this thread so many moons ago. But in fairness to him, I'd rather see him suit up elsewhere and get a ring than close a storied career in SF on the same low point he began his career here with.

Harbaugh changed the culture by bringing in an assured confidence. He couldn't sustain that confidence within the team because he was either unwilling or unable to adapt his offense to the adjustments defense made to stop it. Joe Staley is a loyal guy. When he calls your scheme "dumb" during the season, you've been screwing up.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Harbaugh changed the culture by bringing in an assured confidence. He couldn't sustain that confidence within the team because he was either unwilling or unable to adapt his offense to the adjustments defense made to stop it. Joe Staley is a loyal guy. When he calls your scheme "dumb" during the season, you've been screwing up.

People keep saying that Harbaugh couldn't sustain his winning formula. They act as if he had a few losing seasons in a row. He went at least as far as the NFC championship game in his first three years. He then had only ONE year where we were mediocre and there were a whole lot of factors that played into us going 8-8. He was undermined by his own owner who leaked a bunch of s**t to the media, we had an injury plagued season, the offensive line was awful, Kap regressed, and the list goes on. Yet this is all Harbaugh's fault? And it was one season! He had one .500 season with all of this drama and suddenly he doesn't know how to sustain winning. There is absolutely no evidence that he couldn't remain successful.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

People keep saying that Harbaugh couldn't sustain his winning formula. They act as if he had a few losing seasons in a row. He went at least as far as the NFC championship game in his first three years. He then had only ONE year where we were mediocre and there were a whole lot of factors that played into us going 8-8. He was undermined by his own owner who leaked a bunch of s**t to the media, we had an injury plagued season, the offensive line was awful, Kap regressed, and the list goes on. Yet this is all Harbaugh's fault? And it was one season! He had one .500 season with all of this drama and suddenly he doesn't know how to sustain winning. There is absolutely no evidence that he couldn't remain successful.

In the words of the immortal Snoop Lion (formely dog), "Church!"
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM ]

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Starting in 2013, the offense was in decline. There was no evidence that improvement was on the horizon. Two years of decline in your area of specialty is evidence against sustainable success, in my book.

I agree.

With the way the team is now, an 8-8 season was a bunch of underperforming/bad luck/bad schemes. Compare that to Sing and Nolan era, 8-8 was as good as it gets.

So Harbaugh should be congratulated for bringing back a winning culture to SF. It's pretty impressive because he had two good seasons of offense, and then the defense was still able to get it done enough in 2013 to manage a 12-4 record and an NFCC visit despite offensive woes. This last season I'd probably put on factors outside of Harbaugh, but I don't think we get to the SB with his offensive system if we couldn't the year before.

The key here is that our OC and offensive coaches need to know what the hell they are doing. Also, while lesser a concern, hopefully the defensive coaching staff is at least a push from last season.

I trust that Tomsula can replace Harbaugh effectively as a player's coach. Tell me this, if the ONLY change we made this offseason was swapping Harbaugh for Tomsula while retaining Roman, offensive staff, Fangio and defensive staff, would any of us be so worried??

I wouldn't. Tomsula in some ways can be an improvement in the player's coach aspect while not having the a**** part that comes with it (sorry....now that JH is gone, we can start to acknowledge rival's beefs with him). Could he be smarter with challenges? Maybe. We know he won't piss off refs the same way, so maybe we catch a few more breaks than last year.

Bottom line is the team knows it's still elite. Harbaugh might have a special gift for turning teams around better than any other coach in the NFL, but we don't need that service anymore.

Unless the team falters for at least another year or two. But I doubt that will happen and remain too optimistic to see it happening.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Feb 28, 2015 at 3:56 PM ]
Gore needs two average seasons to crack the top 10 in rushing yards. If that doesn't happen I will be pissed. Win with class does not mean ditch your franchise rb that will be remembered probably forever.

Where do some of you guys get your great predictions from? Is there an 800 number I can call to get these things too.
A question about Gore. His career seems comparable to Curtis Martin or at least close to it so far. CM never won a Super Bowl (made a few conference championships and maybe an SB), but made the HOF pretty quickly when eligible. Is Frank more than 70% future HOFer?
Share 49ersWebzone