There are 163 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Frank is gonna break 1000 yards again this season!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's done. He needs to reduce his salary or be cut. Hopefully Latimore is ready and we can part ways with him. Totally ran out of gas in the playoffs.

Yeah, he was missing HUGE holes left and right . . . . NOT
Gore played well enough recently (past 2 seasons) to deserve one more shot. But it certainty occurs with a pay cut
Originally posted by socalniner:
Baalke just said he doesn't HAVE to ask Gore, doesn't mean he isn't. I love Gore, it just makes sense to trim his contract for the good of the team.

I think Gore already sacrificed for the good of the team by not trying to break the bank during his prime years. I think they should ask him to create a little more cap room, but it would speak well of the organization if they don't.

On the other hand, considering his contract expires next season, perhaps they just want to let 2014 play out and hope we win the Super Bowl with Gore retiring, which is probably the best case scenario for all parties involved.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BobS:
Selected viewing of stats, you must be talking total rushing yards. His ypc went from 4.7 (2012) to 4.1 (2013) if history with 30+ year old top level running backs is any example that number will fall to 3.8 or lower in 2014. Last I checked Frank is human and not a robot, NFL running backs do not out run father time. Even the 30+ crowd that did ok in their later years fell off quite a bit from their late 20's. Pull up Football Reference and look at the numbers on running backs Frank's age. You have to ask yourself if Frank Gore was a free agent how much would somebody pay him? The salary cap forces the business side of the game, you can't over pay players on sentiment.

I want to know what his YPC was once Crabtree came in through the playoffs. B/c THAT is our real offense. Prior to that Gore WAS our offense. We need to account for the fact that he was probably pretty worn down the last quarter of the season and through the playoffs and the play calling could not be more predictable BUT this stat could give us a better gauge of real production and expectations going forward.
136 carries 513 yards 3.77 ypc. Actually lower than the whole season average, why? NFL running backs have an expiration date tattooed on them, like a cartoon of eggs, Frank is past his. Sometimes the eggs will still be good a little past the expiration date, but they will spoil soon. Like I said before everybody loves Frank, so do I. I would like to see him come back at a reduced salary and be a third down back, that might squeeze another useful 2 years out of him. That 50 yard run against Seattle where he severely ran out of gas was father time catching Frank. I didn't like seeing it, but I cannot be in denial like most of you. You cannot pay guys on sentiment, he is worth what someone else would pay him. You need to start giving reps to his replacement, now!

This is about what I expeced. Partially b/c he was worn down, partially b/c play calling sucks and is predictable, partially b/c we were playing great defenses the final quarter of the season and throughout the playoffs and partially b/c Gore has slowed down and is always battling little nagging injuries. And what I've seen, in bigger games, HaRoMan don't lean on Gore like a Seattle does with Lynch. We lean more on CK's legs and arm. Period. This says a lot b/c there is nothing more this coaching staff would love but to run it down a defenses throat...it how they are hard-wired. And for them to instead, lean on CK and the intermediate (and risky passing game) esp. during the critical moments of games (Superbowl and NFCCG), says something. Again, people ignore this, but Harbaugh's own comments after the NFCCG was by design...to usher in Lattimore and mentally prepare our fan base for a transition away from Gore being the bell cow.

Ideally, if we need him too, I'd love for him to restructure his contract for another year, save us some cap space (again, only if needed) and split carries with Lattimore, Hampton, Hunter, James, etc. and coach them along into a FT transition. The running game is absolutely critical to our entire offensive foundation and it needs to be hitting on all cyclinders esp. come playoff time.

I'd love to see this option, not only of limiting his carries (15 a game), but also featuring other runners more depending on the defense we are using. Use that "go with the hot hand" logic with some of the other backs. I believe Kendall Hunter could surprise people if given the opportunity and LaMichael James proved at the end of 2012 he is a capable #2.
The question isn't weather frank can still play. Its are we holding back the devolpment of KH and LmJ to the point it is detrimental to our teams success. In 2011 KH was starting to look like MJD and although I don't think LMJ has one me over yet I still would like to see some plays designed around his skill set.

I'm just hoping that the niners are still a meritocracy to the point that they will field the BPA that gives us the best chance to win. I really don't want to see lattimore get the LMJ treatment
I dont care what anyone says Frank Gore is a beast and needs to retire as a 49er. I dont want to ever see him in another teams jersey.
Thank you. The universe is a better place due to your actions. The karmic balance has been improved.

Double dorji for everyone!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's done. He needs to reduce his salary or be cut. Hopefully Latimore is ready and we can part ways with him. Totally ran out of gas in the playoffs.
i am sorry but i just can not defend san diego anymore.
yeah, cc, ditto.
let's pay him 20 million as a retirement gift.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
yeah, cc, ditto.

This. The evidence just continues to mount against SD.
I realize that a lot of people are on the draft bandwagon for Mr Hyde but I wanted to take a moment to appreciate Frank "the Tank" Gore. He is my favorite 49er. He has so much heart and determination it inspires me. If you see this thread Marvin, I hope you make an updated video of Frank's highlights. Gore is not gone... Lets show him some love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWCpNHzRasM

Share 49ersWebzone