There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Frank Gore Thread

Originally posted by fryet:
The Sac Bee had an article on Frank Gore and they mentioned that he had a YPC in 2013 of 4.1 (I think Hunter was 4.7). The Bee argued that they should keep Frank Gore because he is so well loved in the locker room. However, I think that is a bad way to run a team. Walsh would get rid of players while they still had a little bit left in the tank (Montana, Lott). It is the way to field the best football team TODAY and compete for a championship. Will Gore's YPC improve in 2014? Most likely not - it will probably regress more. Will the offense stall without having a 4.1 YPC running back? Most likely not. Boldin at 6 mil per year had a much greater impact on the game than Gore will. We could ask Gore to come back for a vet minimum, however it is probably best to just part ways, and let Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore duke it out to determine who gets the carries. The coaching staff hasn't worked out the other RB enough for us to know what they have, and it is time to rip the band-aid off now and find out. If they can't replace Gore, then we know what to draft in 2015.

Walsh didn't get rid of Montana or Lott. You're right, he would tell players they were done before they thought they were done, but Walsh wasn't there when Montana and Lott were traded.
Originally posted by socal1632:
No, not better than Craig.Sorry. Not even close as both a power running and pass catching disruption out of the backfield. (Of course Craig had Montana) Gore does have a quarterback with horseblinders on back there most of the time by comparison. You hit his age and it's just the way it is. He looks like he belongs in a wheelchair now compaired to any other current best in the game.Can still take a several step burst through initial holes and seams here and there. Safety's don't need to play shallow with him out there. If we had Lynch back there on last play, Crab's is prob open by several more yards at least. Gore has been a beast for us. We need a backfield that Seattle and other good teams will have to pay much more attention to by safety's, etc. With HarRoman's apparent lack of game day offensive flexibility and adjusting foresight. God, I am starting to really miss having a Walsh or a Belechik type mind on the sidelines. Obvious now that Harb's is a good to maybe very good head choach who was able to ride a titlewave of momentum into the NFL by Andrew Luck. I hope we get over the hump here with him as head coach, but getting out coached/gameplanned by most of the good teams we have faced for 3 years now is getting old

Well that had nothing to do with Gore since it was Hunter in on that last play. And I doubt that if Lynch was back there Crabs would have been open "by several more yards at least."
Sometimes i read these let's-put-Frank-out-to-pasture posts and I wonder, damn, do these people know anything about football? Have they ever watched a football game? Frank helps on so many levels I have to wonder what kind of fantasy land people must be living in to give him up for the perfect running back that doesn't exist.

I get the speed thing. I really do. But honestly, he makes so many crazy plays look easy, I can't get worked up about it.

I never get the sense that if Frank were faster, he could be turning a 5 yard gain into a 7 yard gain. That would be a problem. A big problem.

But, it never works out that way when I watch him. I never get the sense he's leaving those two yards on the table.

If he were faster, sure, the 40 yard runs he might take to the house for 60 yards. No question. But, that doesn't really bother me. I'm pretty happy with 40.

And, the 11 carries for 14 yards thing, well, he's getting hit practically before the ball gets there, so that's not on him either.

I'm just glad he's a 49er.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Feb 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM ]
Gore probably best back at pass blocking in football, hard to replace that, but this year probably last year
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Gore probably best back at pass blocking in football, hard to replace that, but this year probably last year

This would be more valuable if Kap could actually hit his target in stride

Gore still has some left in the tank, but Lattimore would have to be a complete bust for there to be a loss in production. I've seen some highlights of Lattimore catching passes that were similar to Gore drops.

Last years RB class was pretty solid, and when healthy Lattimore is supposed to be better than them all. When healthy, which he appears to be, start him. I love Gore, but his production isn't exactly irreplaceable.
[ Edited by senseimatt on Feb 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by senseimatt:

Gore still has some left in the tank, but Lattimore would have to be a complete bust for there to be a loss in production. I've seen some highlights of Lattimore catching passes that were similar to Gore drops.

Last years RB class was pretty solid, and when healthy Lattimore is supposed to be better than them all. When healthy, which he appears to be, start him. I love Gore, but his production isn't exactly irreplaceable.
lol, he's the best back in the HISTORY OF THE 49ERS ORGANIZATION! Statistically speaking, he had one of his finest years last year, he's the best pass protection back in football. I know he's almost 31, he doesn't have the speed he used 2 but you guys are all nuts if you don't think Gore is still extremely valuable to this team. Everybody wants to just put Lattimore in there, what if he gets hurt again? What if he's not the same? What if he comes in and although healthy isn't the guy we saw in college (meaning his game doesn't translate like that to the NFL?).

This is a running team that has relied heavily on Frank Gore, yes I believe we should rotate our backs more (especially in the early part of the year/end of wins) yes I think Gore will eventually need to be replaced, but dude is coming off a Pro-Bowl year of over 1100 yards with 2 quality playoff performances. I just don't get this sentiment.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
The only negative I've ever had with Frank is he usually runs out of gas on his long runs and gets caught from behind.Its like playing NBA Jam and using up all your Turbo before you cross half court.
Originally posted by matt49er:

lol, he's the best back in the HISTORY OF THE 49ERS ORGANIZATION! Statistically speaking, he had one of his finest years last year, he's the best pass protection back in football. I know he's almost 31, he doesn't have the speed he used 2 but you guys are all nuts if you don't think Gore is still extremely valuable to this team. Everybody wants to just put Lattimore in there, what if he gets hurt again? What if he's not the same? What if he comes in and although healthy isn't the guy we saw in college (meaning his game doesn't translate like that to the NFL?).

This is a running team that has relied heavily on Frank Gore, yes I believe we should rotate our backs more (especially in the early part of the year/end of wins) yes I think Gore will eventually need to be replaced, but dude is coming off a Pro-Bowl year of over 1100 yards with 2 quality playoff performances. I just don't get this sentiment.

No he didn't.
What if Gore gets hurt?
Then they draft another RB who will come with the same "what if?"
1100 is towards the low end for a RB with his workload. His YDS/G and YDS/A were the lowest among full time backs and near the bottom of the league overall.
He struggled against GB and Seattle.

He may be the best in the 9ers organization, but AP has more yards in 3 less seasons. He's towards the bottom compared to his peers, and his production has Statisically declined each year. So again, his production isn't exactly irreplaceable, and could possibly be improved with players we have.
His running is irreplaceable. The way he runs.

Except for a few chunk runs, our running game struggled the last 6-8 weeks. because we had no credible short passing threat. SO teams played the second level right on the line, often. That's not really Franks fault. If we traded Frank for AP, AP would also have a had a pretty frustrating 6 weeks because the same thing would have happened to him.

What Frank brings to the table you don't really measure with stats. You need your eyes to see it.

These discussions are so weird.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
His running is irreplaceable. The way he runs.

Except for a few chunk runs, our running game struggled the last 6-8 weeks. because we had no credible short passing threat. SO teams played the second level right on the line, often. That's not really Franks fault. If we traded Frank for AP, AP would also have a had a pretty frustrating 6 weeks because the same thing would have happened to him.

What Frank brings to the table you don't really measure with stats. You need your eyes to see it.

These discussions are so weird.

It's certainly not his fault the passing game sucks, but his inability to break a long run allowed defenses to play that formation more often. AP has the ability to break an 80 yard run, and a loaded box becomes more risky against him. I believe his first run of the season was a 70 yarder. Gore just ran into like a wall for no gain most of the time with a few 20 yarders and the run against Seattle. Chancellor wasn't in position and they got burned. Frank isn't able to keep the defense honest.
It's certainly not his fault the passing game sucks, but his inability to break a long run allowed defenses to play that formation more often. AP has the ability to break an 80 yard run, and a loaded box becomes more risky against him. I believe his first run of the season was a 70 yarder. Gore just ran into like a wall for no gain most of the time with a few 20 yarders and the run against Seattle. Chancellor wasn't in position and they got burned. Frank isn't able to keep the defense honest.

I don't really see that. I think that's a small, teenypart of a DC's thinking -- let's play soft cover-two in case so and so breaks it past the line. We'll be able to catch him for 20 instead of 40.

I don't think that influences the pre-snap placement and movement very much like that. I think more of it might be things like us coming to the line with Tukuafu, Snyder, McDonald and Gore in the backfield and one wideout. Ok. Who's getting the ball? DC's don't need a ouija board to figure that out. That is more of an influence on a defense crowding the line than a runners 4.3 vs 4.8 speed IMO.

ANyway don't worry. You will get your wish in a year or two. Frank'll stop holding us back then.
The Sac Bee had an article on Frank Gore and they mentioned that he had a YPC in 2013 of 4.1 (I think Hunter was 4.7). The Bee argued that they should keep Frank Gore because he is so well loved in the locker room. However, I think that is a bad way to run a team. Walsh would get rid of players while they still had a little bit left in the tank (Montana, Lott). It is the way to field the best football team TODAY and compete for a championship. Will Gore's YPC improve in 2014? Most likely not - it will probably regress more. Will the offense stall without having a 4.1 YPC running back? Most likely not. Boldin at 6 mil per year had a much greater impact on the game than Gore will. We could ask Gore to come back for a vet minimum, however it is probably best to just part ways, and let Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore duke it out to determine who gets the carries. The coaching staff hasn't worked out the other RB enough for us to know what they have, and it is time to rip the band-aid off now and find out. If they can't replace Gore, then we know what to draft in 2015.

Most of the important big plays last year involved a key block from Gore. This team would be a lot worse without him.
I think the reason people are making a case to cut The Inconvenient Truth is because they're trying to rationalize what we've all been thinking: The time is near.

You have to be realistic...Frank isn't going to be around much longer. Whether that's a couple months or 1-2 more seasons, the time is coming. Time to wrap your minds around that.

I love Frank, I really do. But if Marcus Lattimore comes out and is a complete monster in training camp, you GOTTA know that Harbs will have a decision to make. He had no problem making the tough decision with Alex/Kap.

With that said, there's been reports/banter about "if Frank doesn't take a paycut he'll be gone." That very well may be true, but remember who we're talking about here. FRANK F'N GORE. He'll take a paycut if that's what it takes. That's just who Frank is.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on my cherry red throwback Gore jersey.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by real9erfan:

Walsh didn't get rid of Montana or Lott. You're right, he would tell players they were done before they thought they were done, but Walsh wasn't there when Montana and Lott were traded.
That was Seifert and Carmen Policy's watch, Walsh was retired when Lott was let go and coaching Stanford when Montana left.
The man was a top ten running back last year and is still considered the 49ers main weapon on offense.

Against continually stacked boxes, Gore delivers in the clutch. Does he sometimes run into a wall? Sure. But that's not his fault. Any RB would run into a wall when the offensive coordinator calls for a between-the-tackles run against 11 guys in the box.

He's blocking is impeccable and a huge asset in the passing game. His vision, initial burst, and anticipation are second to none--that's what makes him the running back that he is and that's what makes him conducive to success as a 30+ year old running back.

Of course Gore is going to slow down some soon but he's definitely still got another solid year in him, especially if this stubborn coaching staff finally allows players like Hunter and Lattimore to start sharing the load.

I can't see Gore fighting a contract restructure if the 49ers come to the table with that. He's a team-first guy and has made plenty of money. He deserves to still be the focal point of this offense and he deserves to retire a Niner but most of all... he deserves a ring.

The Niners must get that man a ring!