There are 237 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
As someone who watched great 49ers move on usually before their time was through (e.g., Joe, Jerry, Ronnie, Roger, Woody, etc.), I strongly believe we'll be releasing Gore, freeing up $6.4M worth of needed cap room and going with Hunter, James, Lattimore and a rookie RB. I suspect the front office feels the same way. Yes, fans will go nuts wondering/fretting how we'll replace Gore's production and leadership, but this won't be the first time in professional football an aging veteran gets replaced, and it won't be the last. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gore's contract was set up for just this moment (huge roster bonus and $3M+ salary for a 31 year-old RB is code for "Goodbye").

This team (as most teams almost always do at the RB position) will find a way to cover what Gore brings to the table, whether it's with the RBs on the existing roster, one that's drafted or signed via free agency. One will either emerge as the main starter or it will be a RB by committee like most teams these days...bottom line, this team will be fine. And to paraphrase Coach Walsh, it's better to let a veteran go a year too soon than a year too late.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't be happy about it nor do I even want it to happen. I just think it will given all the variables here.

And that is why he is Ghost, he brings it every time, even when he doesn't want to deliver the message.

Originally posted by fropwns:
As someone who watched great 49ers move on usually before their time was through (e.g., Joe, Jerry, Ronnie, Roger, Woody, etc.), I strongly believe we'll be releasing Gore, freeing up $6.4M worth of needed cap room and going with Hunter, James, Lattimore and a rookie RB. I suspect the front office feels the same way. Yes, fans will go nuts wondering/fretting how we'll replace Gore's production and leadership, but this won't be the first time in professional football an aging veteran gets replaced, and it won't be the last. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gore's contract was set up for just this moment (huge roster bonus and $3M+ salary for a 31 year-old RB is code for "Goodbye").

This team (as most teams almost always do at the RB position) will find a way to cover what Gore brings to the table, whether it's with the RBs on the existing roster, one that's drafted or signed via free agency. One will either emerge as the main starter or it will be a RB by committee like most teams these days...bottom line, this team will be fine. And to paraphrase Coach Walsh, it's better to let a veteran go a year too soon than a year too late.

Let me be clear, I wouldn't be happy about it nor do I even want it to happen. I just think it will given all the variables here.

And that is why he is Ghost, he brings it every time, even when he doesn't want to deliver the message.

I realize what you're saying comports with the way most coaches and GMs look at things, and maybe I've got too much of the 1970s rattling around in my head, but I think good RBs are rare. Any time I see a productive RB Committee, I think to myself, "But that team would be MORE productive if it ditched the committee and gave the ball to the best guy." Old or not, Gore is better than any other RB we're likely to see on the Niners next year. I say keep him around and feed him the ball until he cries UNCLE!
^^ The dilemma of course is that the only way to find out if Gore TRULY is or is NOT the best RB on the team next year is to allow others to get extensive touches. You never know what these other guys are capable of until you give them more opportunities, and that won't happen while Frank is on the roster. It's a difficult decision and I don't envy Baalke when it comes to making this call.
Originally posted by thl408:

I hate this scenario, but you raise excellent points.

i could see it happening before the '15 season. but not this off-season.

Why wouldn't they ask him to restructure. Gore is a team guy and I firmly believe he would do what it takes and maybe take a financial hit to stay with SF. He's made a lot of money over his career.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Why wouldn't they ask him to restructure. Gore is a team guy and I firmly believe he would do what it takes and maybe take a financial hit to stay with SF. He's made a lot of money over his career.

Definitely makes sense to do that IF the front office wants to keep Gore for another year and if he's willing to play for around $2.5M per year. The question is, does the front office feel they need as much 2014 cap space as possible and that the current crop of RBs + a draft choice can make up the difference for losing Gore? If the answer to both is yes, they'll release him and use that $6.45M cap space to address other areas of need.
Not only is frank our best running back, he's our best open field runner of any skill position player. He's one of if not the best blocking halfback in the NFL.

He can be doing much more for us than he is being asked. You don't let guys like that go. It's a fantasy to think that we will get a better performer in the draft or free agent.

What he brings to the table is not replaceable. And, it's our coaching culture and dorky playcalling that chokes other runners from getting touches on the ball -- not Frank's ego or anything like that.

You should be waterboarded for even suggesting an irrational, foot shooting move like cutting Frank for salary cap reasons. He will restructure anyway.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Not only is frank our best running back, he's our best open field runner of any skill position player. He's one of if not the best blocking halfback in the NFL.

He can be doing much more for us than he is being asked. You don't let guys like that go. It's a fantasy to think that we will get a better performer in the draft or free agent.

What he brings to the table is not replaceable. And, it's our coaching culture and dorky playcalling that chokes other runners from getting touches on the ball -- not Frank's ego or anything like that.

You should be waterboarded for even suggesting an irrational, foot shooting move like cutting Frank for salary cap reasons. He will restructure anyway.

We try not to make derogatory comments about other posters for their opinions. You see that is what separates us from the Raider fans. He doesn't want it to happen, but is suggesting it is entirely possible.
I'm being facetious. Do I have to say that?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I'm being facetious. Do I have to say that?

go to the all time 49er team thread and see if you approve

That's because Frank Gore is a true 49er!

Frank is absolutely our best blocking back and one of the best in the league. But our best "open field runner?" Come on man! I love Frank, but even though he might be able to juke me on the first move, I could probably chase Frank down from behind!

What Frank does beautifully (and usually later in the game when the defense is worn down) is make that perfect cut to break through the 2nd/3rd level for the huge gain...what he doesn't do so well is actually take it to the house, which any of our other backs could. And, talk about an open field runner, did you ever see LaMichael James play at Oregon??? Btw, Hunter was one of the better blocking backs at his Senior Bowl, constantly stoning guys in their tracks. He's got excellent technique and is a strong little dude, he just needs more opportunities to show it at this level.

Bottom line, Frank has been a special back for a very long time (in terms of RB years), but he's not the only one with skills on this team or on this planet for that matter. Much of what he does is in fact replaceable, and some of it is not. The point is, he's either leaving next year or this year, and a greater football mind than yours or mine was an advocate of letting guys go at least a year before their time. There was a reason he believed that.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]

Frank is absolutely our best blocking back and one of the best in the league. But our best "open field runner?" Come on man! I love Frank, but even though he might be able to juke me on the first move, I could probably chase Frank down from behind!

What Frank does beautifully (and usually later in the game when the defense is worn down) is make that perfect cut to break through the 2nd/3rd level for the huge gain...what he doesn't do so well is actually take it to the house, which any of our other backs could. And, talk about an open field runner, did you ever see LaMichael James play at Oregon??? Btw, Hunter was one of the better blocking backs at his Senior Bowl, constantly stoning guys in their tracks. He's got excellent technique and is a strong little dude, he just needs more opportunities to show it at this level.

Bottom line, Frank has been a special back for a very long time (in terms of RB years), but he's not the only one with skills on this team or on this planet for that matter. Much of what he does is in fact replaceable, and some of it is not. The point is, he's either leaving next year or this year, and a greater football mind than yours or mine was an advocate of letting guys go at least a year before their time. There was a reason he believed that.

There isn't anything you said that is without merit, however I doubt they let Frank go this offseason. Frank's contract isn't hindering the team from doing anything, especially considering he only has one year left and 2015 is the big offseason where our major names will be up for new contracts. I think the bigger factor is will they let him go into 2014 with only one year left. If they do, then it's his last hurrah, unless he is willing to play for a fraction of that amount in 2015. I may be in the minority, but I'd like to see Gore restructure and extended 1 or possibly 2 years. Any new money he receives outside of the restructure in 2015 and 2016 would be based on playing time, number of starts, etc. The 49ers would have a lot of leverage seeing as how he will be turning 31 in May. There isn't a team in the NFL that would sign Frank Gore after this season and pay him anymore than what we would. We can use 2014 as a year of transitioning. Decrease his number of offensive snaps to about 60-70% of the team's total. Those final two years, I see him as more of the back we use in the second half to pound away at defenses with, and hopefully run when we have a nice lead. In a perfect world, we win back to back Super Bowl's and Frank Gore retires with his 2nd title at Levi's Stadium .
If his contract is not hindering our future at all I would say to prob keep him.Currently we are badly out talented by Seattle in the backfield with Lynch back there. Can't repeatedly punch D lines in the mouth anymore to wear them down. Last several seasons Frank's legs have gone mostly dead last few games. Kaep was our running weapon in that second half against Seattle. The Dline just needed to contain him and then T off on Roman's pathic 1970's passing tree plays without multiple backs flooding the flats or diving through the line. By the way, on that last play, the back, not sure if Gore or hunter? broke free of linebacker coverage on the side Kaep was looking at. A little soft eight yard pass to clear linebacker and RB may also have made the endzone. Pass to Crabs was not completely the wrong throw but by far the lowest percentage play on the field that down(Crabs has great hands but why the F wasen't VD climbing the ladder in the corner fade on that play)???????.Also Kaep needs to shut his mouth about Sherman and learn how to really play the qb position. Dude seriously, U cost us the game in the 4th quarter with repeated mistakes from last year and even games this year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
For many years, the demise of Frank Gore has been predicted, That demise has not yet occurred.

Frank Gore has been an excellent running back for the 49ers--arguably the best the team has had.

Nevertheless, his projected value to the team has to match his cap cost.

I do not pretend that I am capable of making this evaluation, but I do know that the team does seem to be excellent at making this type of evaluation.
Share 49ersWebzone