LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 333 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cant wait to see Marcus Lattimore split carries with Gore the kid does NOT fumble the next great back
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The same could be said for Marshawn Lynch. That's how it goes for many running backs. Gore is probably done as a running back that can CONSISTENTLY make something out of nothing. That doesn't mean he's done as a running back, which are two different things. See Kevan Barlow in 2-2005 for an idea of what it means to be done as a running back. Get us a good center where we can consistently get us a push up the middle and he can continue to be productive. What I would like to see that we have not seen yet is for his carries to be decreased. He shouldn't be getting more than 15 a game. Many people think that Kendall Hunter isn't the answer but we haven't seen him carry the ball enough to know that for certain. How many times have we seen Frank Gore (or even Marshawn Lynch for that matter) do TERRIBLE on their first 5 or so carries, only to get it going later on? Hunter needs to be given the ball 10 times a game on a regular basis and in some cases, even be the feature back (particularly where his speed can an asset).

We've seen Kendall Hunter carry the load before and it was almost like Gore was still there. Gore is for sure a better all around football player, especially when it comes to what RB's do without the ball in their hands, but Kendall Hunter is a pro and has proven to be able to get the job done in Gore's absence.

When he gets a chance he does well. The only game he had 10+ carries this season he had a 4.5 ypc average on 11 carries, a TD, and a 9 yard reception to boot.

Last year he had two games with 10+ carries, one where he had a 7.4 ypc average on 11 carries and another where he had a 4.3 ypc on 10.

His rookie year, when he had to start in place of Gore because of the broken hip, he had three games with 10+ carries. His first one was pretty rough, a 2.5 ypc on 11 carries against AZ, a 6.1 ypc on 12 carries against Seattle, and a 4.8 ypc on 16 carries to close out the regular season.

He's also done quite well in the playoffs when given the chance.

Not sure why he barely got any snaps this year and Gore had one of his highest carries totals ever. Hunter IS NOT Frank Gore, but he's not too far off either.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Jan 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Gore,Hunter,LMJ,Dixon

one of these guys is leaving, maybe two

Probably only one. And maybe none. They COULD keep them all if they cut a special teams only player like Ventrone (who I want to see stay), making room for Boobie to stay. But he is a free agent and is most likely moving on.

The rest of them are under contract (very reasonable contracts, yes, even Gore's considering how much he does for this offense) and probably going to stay, unless of course they draft a LMJ replacement and he outperforms LaMichael in camp/preseason. I could see them trying to trade James in that case. There has to be a GM out there that would give up a5th or a 6th to see what they can make of him.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
The same could be said for Marshawn Lynch. That's how it goes for many running backs. Gore is probably done as a running back that can CONSISTENTLY make something out of nothing. That doesn't mean he's done as a running back, which are two different things. See Kevan Barlow in 2-2005 for an idea of what it means to be done as a running back. Get us a good center where we can consistently get us a push up the middle and he can continue to be productive. What I would like to see that we have not seen yet is for his carries to be decreased. He shouldn't be getting more than 15 a game. Many people think that Kendall Hunter isn't the answer but we haven't seen him carry the ball enough to know that for certain. How many times have we seen Frank Gore (or even Marshawn Lynch for that matter) do TERRIBLE on their first 5 or so carries, only to get it going later on? Hunter needs to be given the ball 10 times a game on a regular basis and in some cases, even be the feature back (particularly where his speed can an asset).

We've seen Kendall Hunter carry the load before and it was almost like Gore was still there. Gore is for sure a better all around football player, especially when it comes to what RB's do without the ball in their hands, but Kendall Hunter is a pro and has proven to be able to get the job done in Gore's absence.

When he gets a chance he does well. The only game he had 10+ carries this season he had a 4.5 ypc average on 11 carries, a TD, and a 9 yard reception to boot.

Last year he had two games with 10+ carries, one where he had a 7.4 ypc average on 11 carries and another where he had a 4.3 ypc on 10.

His rookie year, when he had to start in place of Gore because of the broken hip, he had three games with 10+ carries. His first one was pretty rough, a 2.5 ypc on 11 carries against AZ, a 6.1 ypc on 12 carries against Seattle, and a 4.8 ypc on 16 carries to close out the regular season.

He's also done quite well in the playoffs when given the chance.

Not sure why he barely got any snaps this year and Gore had one of his highest carries totals ever. Hunter IS NOT Frank Gore, but he's not too far off either.

I definitely agree that he has done well here and there, but I'd like to see that much more frequently and I put the blame for that not on Kendall Hunter, but on the coaching staff. If Marcus Lattimore comes through, I see us having two bonafide backs in Hunter and Lattimore with a very capable change of pace/back up running back in LaMichael James who proved he can handle the load towards the end of 2012.
I definitely agree that he has done well here and there, but I'd like to see that much more frequently and I put the blame for that not on Kendall Hunter, but on the coaching staff. If Marcus Lattimore comes through, I see us having two bonafide backs in Hunter and Lattimore with a very capable change of pace/back up running back in LaMichael James who proved he can handle the load towards the end of 2012.

Probably what we see in 2015. if James doesn't end up elsewhere first.
I hope we don't go 80/20 or 70/30 whatever it was this year. I thought we would be lessening Gore's carries each year and we did more. Hunter just isn't the same as was in 2011 and almost all of his big runs come when we are blowing the other team out. Most go 0 yards or negative yards. I don't know if he has a future past next year when he is a FA. Hopefully Lattimore does well and we are seeing a 50/50 or so split on him and Gore for the main workload. That or 40/40/15/5 and get James some carries and catches out of the backfield. Don't see Hunter getting many carries next year. James is signed through 2015 so he should be around after 2014, hopefully we start using him out of the backfield to catch passes. Hunter and Gore might be gone after this year. I'd start by having Gore restructure. If we want we could cut him and save like 6.4 million and have a 0 dollar cap hit. I'd have him restructure to like 2-3 which I think he will and then if we want add 2015 on at like 2-3 mil. Can wait too and just restructure this year, leave 2015 alone and then if Lattimore doesnt seem like he's ready to be the #1 then you could re-sign Gore 1 last year.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I hope we don't go 80/20 or 70/30 whatever it was this year. I thought we would be lessening Gore's carries each year and we did more. Hunter just isn't the same as was in 2011 and almost all of his big runs come when we are blowing the other team out. Most go 0 yards or negative yards. I don't know if he has a future past next year when he is a FA. Hopefully Lattimore does well and we are seeing a 50/50 or so split on him and Gore for the main workload. That or 40/40/15/5 and get James some carries and catches out of the backfield. Don't see Hunter getting many carries next year. James is signed through 2015 so he should be around after 2014, hopefully we start using him out of the backfield to catch passes. Hunter and Gore might be gone after this year. I'd start by having Gore restructure. If we want we could cut him and save like 6.4 million and have a 0 dollar cap hit. I'd have him restructure to like 2-3 which I think he will and then if we want add 2015 on at like 2-3 mil. Can wait too and just restructure this year, leave 2015 alone and then if Lattimore doesnt seem like he's ready to be the #1 then you could re-sign Gore 1 last year.

I'm not conceding that "most of his runs go for 0" but even if that was true carries that go for 0 yards are almost never the RBs fault.

The proof is in the numbers. When he gets more than a token carry here and there he is successful. He's had 10+ carries 8 times in his career and 7 of them were very good days for him.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
I'm not conceding that "most of his runs go for 0" but even if that was true carries that go for 0 yards are almost never the RBs fault.

The proof is in the numbers. When he gets more than a token carry here and there he is successful. He's had 10+ carries 8 times in his career and 7 of them were very good days for him.

Ok maybe not most but way way too many are going for 0 or negative yardage. I can only remember a few sweeps not going for 0 to -10 yards. Yeah could be the OL's fault Gore get's stopped for 0 or 1-2 way too often as well but I think part of it's Roman too. That's another good point though we don't let Hunter get any kind of rhythm where Gore stays in long enough gets enough carries he eventually breaks on. With Hunter he only carries 1 or 2 times and he's out. I think Roman is a big part though what happened to our 2011 creativity in runs and run formations and shifts?
They need to phaseout Frank. He's one hellluva runner. His ability to break one out late in the game is unmatched. But he's another year older. We need new talent on offense. Give Hunter and James more touches. And if Lattimore can be what we all think he's capable of, then the transition maybe less of a drop off.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Chris Johnson apparently isn't worth 8 million to the Titans. There is no way Frank is back at his current salary.

Frank is an all timer but he has nothing left in the tank and especially at his current rate.
We can't afford 6.4 million on Frank. As good as he can be, he also disappears in games for large chunks of the season. I'm not saying its all him, but for 6.4 million we need a lot more consistency. I don't think the drop off from Gore to Hunter is that great. Hunter did very well when Frank went down last season (or was it 2001?) and I can only imagine he'll be even better with more time in the system and fresh legs. Hunter should be close to his prime for a RB. We need to sign Boldin and Gore's salary would go a long way to help that cause. I'm not saying cut him, but maybe slice it in half.
Gore isn't going anywhere
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

i hope he takes a paycut.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

i hope he takes a paycut.

Even if he doesn't he's not going anywhere. He has meant too much to this organization
Share 49ersWebzone