LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 365 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The line play was a joke last night and they underperformed all year. Gore is on his last legs, but the lines needs to be better.
I have a feeling we trade gore. He's done
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
As much as I love Gore and what he has done for this team for years, he simply doesn't have it anymore. He has declined really fast this year and it is sad to see.

he not a consistant running threat anymore, he breaks off a big one here and there but just isn't consistant anymore, if we re-sign him it should be 1-2 year deal max and a reasonable price.
Originally posted by Broseph6:
I have a feeling we trade gore. He's done

hes a free agent isnt he lol?
i can see new england jumping on him if we dont
Originally posted by YungAce:
Gore has one more year left as a starter but we'll be mixing in Lattimore and Hunter for sure.
We have to...I don't want to see this one-trick pony again.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We are not going to cut Frank Gore. We may ask him to restructure to help resigning our future core guys, but we won't release him.

I bet there's a higher chance he retires than actually gets released.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
While he would be worth a league minimum deal, I think it would be better to just cut him. To be honest, I think it is too hard for the staff to not start him. It would be viewed as disrespectful in the locker room, plus it always seems to end up that he gets the lion's share of the carries. Cut him, and the staff will be forced to determine who is the best between Lattimore, Hunter, and LMJ.
frank gore is not going to get cut IMO. hunter and james are not every down backs and lattimore is just a name at this point. its quite likely he is never the player he was in college.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
While he would be worth a league minimum deal, I think it would be better to just cut him. To be honest, I think it is too hard for the staff to not start him. It would be viewed as disrespectful in the locker room, plus it always seems to end up that he gets the lion's share of the carries. Cut him, and the staff will be forced to determine who is the best between Lattimore, Hunter, and LMJ.

i rather us go after a eddie lacy type of back in the draft to be honest.

• titan
  • Veteran
LMJ can go and we need to add a speedy WR that can be used for PR/KR. That spot can be Lattimores spot.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
He still has his vision but he is too slow and goes down at first contact. The 49ers are limited to slow developing runs between the tackles when he is in the game. He makes the 49ers offense predictable and easy to defend. He's not worth anything near 6 million next year. He's been a great 49er but his time is finished.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kap2crab:
Originally posted by Disp:
I think Gore is pretty much done. Yes, he had a couple huge clutch runs the last 6 or so games, but you take those out and he's averaging 2-3 yards per carry. I love the guy and what he's meant for the team, but I think he's holding the offense back at this point.

This is such a dumb argument. You can say that about any back. If you take the best runs away from any back they will average a lot less yards per carry. If you take Lynch's 40 yard run away, he only would have averaged 3.3 yards per carry tonight.

It was mostly to point out his average runs. I don't see other backs getting constantly stuffed for 0,1,2 yard gains like Gore has been over the second half of the season and playoffs. Lynch was getting 5 yard gains consistently in the 2'nd half.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kap2crab:
This is such a dumb argument. You can say that about any back. If you take the best runs away from any back they will average a lot less yards per carry. If you take Lynch's 40 yard run away, he only would have averaged 3.3 yards per carry tonight.

True, but Gore's numbers are down this year. The 49ers rushing attack, which he is the main component of, was not as dynamic as it was last year and much less consistent. There are some other factors, the OL was not as good or as healthy and teams stacked the box a lot, but it looked at various times throughout the season and especially last night that Gore has lost a half a step so he is getting caught in the hole or what used to be an 6 yard run is now a 3 yard run, etc. Yes, he can still occasionally pop a big run but the consistent runs putting the 49ers in 2nd and 3rd and shorts just are not there as often as they were in prior years.

He will be back next year but it will be a transition year and my guess is that by the end of the year, it is much more of a RB by committee approach with Latimore getting the most carries on a game by game basis.
Lattimore and Gore need to go 50/50 next year, IF he is close to the same level he was at before the injury.

If not, Roman needs to pull his head out and get creative with how to use RBs.. screen pass anyone?
Share 49ersWebzone