LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Gire starts
As much as I love Gore and what he has done for this team for years, he simply doesn't have it anymore. He has declined really fast this year and it is sad to see.
give gore 1-2 more years so we can get him a ring.
Hunter looked alright tonight but Gore will start, it's the final year on his current deal. They loaded the box and forced us to try and beat them downfield. Many times the defenders were already in the backfield when Gore received the ball. I hope Lattimore is fully recovered and can spend next year learning from Frank. Frank isn't done yet, he had another very solid year and we've had him on a reduced workload, which should be reduced even further next season, keeping him fresh.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I think Gore is pretty much done. Yes, he had a couple huge clutch runs the last 6 or so games, but you take those out and he's averaging 2-3 yards per carry. I love the guy and what he's meant for the team, but I think he's holding the offense back at this point.
The 49ers DO NOT owe no one anything! if they have to make a change at a position so be it.
Unfortunately the truth is here.....at least against the very elite defenses (and maybe just Seahawks in Seattle)....

But this offense revolves around Gore and unless we get 4.0+ ypc from him we cannot beat the really good teams. There was a stat from the 2011 season 49er media guide that said that the 49ers were undefeated since 2005 when he carried it 30+ times. I doubt we have fed him the rock that many times since then, but you can imagine that when his carries are 20+ we are still extremely dominant.

No issue with Gore, it just is what it is. The reality though is that with 4.0 ypc today from Gore (maybe even 3.5), we most likely win....4.5-5.0 and we would have dominated the crap out of Seattle.

That's the biggest frustration. Kinda feels like an inverse of 2011 with the passing game.

Lynch had 4-5 ypc and they barely won. Gore gets that and we would have dominated.

Either that or we have to find ways to attack these defenses with the short passing game. At the very least you soften up the box a bit, plus you get Gore involved more with catches which I'm sure will make his rushing better.

Bottom line is that this has to be fixed with this offense. Last year the read option mitigated this issue a lot, and we saw how dominant Kaepernick could be.

It'll get figured out if it's taken seriously enough. With an offensive line as good as ours, we gotta get a lot better in the running game.
I think Gore still plays a role on this team, I definitely think he wore down as the season went on. He's still a good player but he'll have to share more carries with Lattimore and Hunter next season.
Double post.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jan 19, 2014 at 10:04 PM ]
Gore has one more year left as a starter but we'll be mixing in Lattimore and Hunter for sure.

Originally posted by Disp:
I think Gore is pretty much done. Yes, he had a couple huge clutch runs the last 6 or so games, but you take those out and he's averaging 2-3 yards per carry. I love the guy and what he's meant for the team, but I think he's holding the offense back at this point.

This is such a dumb argument. You can say that about any back. If you take the best runs away from any back they will average a lot less yards per carry. If you take Lynch's 40 yard run away, he only would have averaged 3.3 yards per carry tonight.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
This is such a dumb argument. You can say that about any back. If you take the best runs away from any back they will average a lot less yards per carry. If you take Lynch's 40 yard run away, he only would have averaged 3.3 yards per carry tonight.

But you cant take it away. He was Seattle's meal ticket tonight. Gore doing that is behind him, the team wasted his best years. Sad.
One more year.
Gore has a year left on his contract; definitely let him play it out and compete with Lattimore or anyone the front office might draft. But I can't see extending him for a year or two, even if it alleviates his cap number, as suggested in the pinned salary cap thread.
I'm torn...I guess let him go to training camp and duke it out with the other RBs and let the chips land where they land. I think he has one more year in him but it'll be a decline year..kinda like emmitt smith when he went to AZ.
Share 49ersWebzone