LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
he was thinking about goodburgers when gore ran past him

He was actually being held by VD
I'v been in a wheelchair for 24 years and at that moment for the first time ever, I kicked myself in the nuts. omg i loved every second of it!!!!!!

GO NINERS!!!!!!
How annoying was it when Aikman kept talking about Frank getting hurt at the end of the play when in reality Frank gave himself up, stayed inbounds causing the clock to continue to run ?! Very smart play by Frank that he didn't get credit for.
Gore is not fast but he is quick and agile and he has impeccable timing, vision and instinct. You just don't run for as many yards vs the second most 8 man fronts outside of AP in the NFL unless you are as good as Frank Gore. This stuff really shouldn't be so hard to understand
Itz alway great to see gore walk around tha backfield then pick a hole/find a hole then take off ...i swear hes in slow motion til he see tha right hole open up ..when his time is over with us whoever takez over will have GREAT shoez to fill ....
i know it was a good call to kill the clock but if that was the intension he couldve gotten inside the 10 or something. gore never had the break away speed, hes just a great back with good vision but hes got no top speed. he is better at ball control lately but he held it out a few times yesterday that made me nervous and he fell really awkwardly on that run

It took us another first down after that run in order to kill the clock. Had Gore got inside the 10, all we would have had was 3 more plays plus a FG attempt with Seattle having two TOs left so no, it wouldn't have been smart to get inside the 10 yard line. He put us in FG range and another first down territory. Perfect location in my opinion. That 3rd down run that got us the first down after that 51 yarder is what iced the game because Seattle was out of TOs and all they had left was the 2-minute warning with us having 3 more plays and a FG attempt left.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Look at what he is doing when he slows down. He turns his head to look at the defenders. Have you ever tried running at full sprint while turning your head around? It's impossible not to slow down. It's hard enough to run with a football in your arm.

Many years ago, Gore fumbled when someone caught him from behind, ever since then, he turns around to look for defenders as he is running. He's missed out on a lot of touchdowns through the years because of it. It would have been close, but he probably would have made it to the endzone if he tried to make the sprint.
Then again, they might have made him fumble on the two yard line, knocking the ball out of the endzone, causing a touchback turnover. So perhaps Gore is doing the right thing.

very true but so does practically every person who breaks away and does not have a jumbotron in front of them to look at. They still score. Gore will get caught 9 times out of 10 when he breaks a long run. So be it, I've accepted it. His vision is almost unmatched by any back in the league so I'm content with the trade off (although I wouldn't mind more TDs instead of having to rely on our offense to go out there and finish what Gore started)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I said, Go, Fwankie!, Go, Fwankie, go!
Originally posted by bigwads:
OFFICIAL: FRANK GORE NEEDS TO GO

I really don't care about the backlash anymore, but Frank's time as a 49er needs to just end already. Frankly, if he were trying out as an undrafted FA, he would not even make an NFL roster. He would also run a 40 time over 5 seconds, seriously.

A big part of the problem with our running game is Frank simply does not threaten the edges of a defense at all and it is killing our running game. After reviewing the Seattle game again, there are a number of runs that Gore could have easily broken to the outside for huge gains, but he so damn slow he doesn't even try-and rightly so.

I know this topic is simply taboo for a lot of fans, but it is reality. The irony is I think that Gore is so good at squeezing through tight holes that it masks a lot of the deficiencies in our running game too, so this is a double edge sword. The fact is our interior line play $ucking sucks and has all year. They get no push at all...none of them. Goodwin is downright horrible. Snyder never could run block and he still can't. Iupati was horrible all year. The advanced stats on ProFootball Talk validate all of this too, so this is just factual. Kap artificially inflates our running numbers every game also masking the realities of our dire running game.

I'm sorry gents but our running game is horrible. Against playoff caliber teams our running game is not going to work at all. It didn't work last year, but the new read option saved us in the playoffs...that won't happen again. This problem is bigger than Gore, but Gore is a part of the problem. His lack of speed is simply embarrassing.

I get posts like this. They come up now and then about Frank. I get the vibe. But like Fred Dean once said about weight lifting, you have to lie down and wait for the feeling to go away.

Frank has a gift. As long as he can hobble hop crawl and bunny hop his way around the line of scrimmage he will help his side win football games.

Frank has gotten buried plenty of times this season but because other teams read our run sets like a cheap dime store novel. There's often three players through gaps by the time Frank receives the ball. I suppose barry allen or clark kent could still turn the corner. But most humans are going to be happy with losing as little as possible and keeping the rock.

I actually laugh when I read these posts. The OP's are in complete disbelief of Frank's abilities. That's because you can't see what he has -- the vision thing.

OP has the Kevin McHale syndrome -- watching a guy who performs but without any idea how or why. Here is some goofy unathletic guy averaging 25 ppg putting up unadulterated garbage. How is that happening? I mean, if you put up that crap in a local ymca you would be banned. But here he is doing it, week after week at the highest level of competition. Jumping 3 kneeknocked inches off the ground, putting in weird half twisty bank shots and swichsy fallaways.

You just don't believe it. You keep not believing it for three years. Then, after the third year of watching him put in the garbage, you just accept it.

Just accept Frank. You will sleep better. And we will win more.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM ]
I'll get crucified for this....

Gore has been the best player on crappy teams...

Looking at the history of the 49ers I don't even want to think about frank gore lead teams.

Glad the 49ers had him...hate that the team wasted his youth, but the guy is number 3 maybe 4 in my era of 49er running backs.

Guys like watters and Craig had to be accounted for in the running game and really had to be watched in the passing game.

Hearst and gore bring up 3 or 4 depending how I feel and what time of day it is

Originally posted by Dshearn:

Looking at the history of the 49ers I don't even want to think about frank gore lead teams.

Glad the 49ers had him...hate that the team wasted his youth, but the guy is number 3 maybe 4 in my era of 49er running backs.

Guys like watters and Craig had to be accounted for in the running game and really had to be watched in the passing game.

gore is the king. those other backs had other weapons to take the heat off of them. gore had nothing and faced ridiculous odds for years and still put up great numbers.

gore is the king. those other backs had other weapons to take the heat off of them. gore had nothing and faced ridiculous odds for years and still put up great numbers.

Exactly. I love Ricky Watters as a running back (particularly the way he was used in San Francisco vs later in his career), but I don't think he literally carries an offense the way Gore did. I do believe both he and Watters would put up some numbers, but I don't see either doing what Frank has done. When you look at the yardage and his career averages verses the fronts #21 has had to face, it's ridiculous. It's safe to say he is the number 2 running back (behind Adrian Peterson) of this era.

Forget numbers.

LOOK at what he is doing.

NO ONE has done that stuff.

EVER. Not gale, walter, barry, eric, emmit, jim, curtis, thurman, oj.

NO OTHER great back GOT YARDS the way FRANK does!

You will NEVER see his running style again! He is a FREAK of nature.

That is WHY he is still HELPING US at 30 years old with two knee operations.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Frankie, go!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Forget numbers.

LOOK at what he is doing.

NO ONE has done that stuff.

EVER. Not gale, walter, barry, eric, emmit, jim, curtis, thurman, oj.

NO OTHER great back GOT YARDS the way FRANK does!

You will NEVER see his running style again! He is a FREAK of nature.

That is WHY he is still HELPING US at 30 years old with two knee operations.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone