There are 216 users in the forums

Manny Lawson's Weight Gain

Shop Find 49ers gear online
bump
Originally posted by WestCoastNut:
Every facet of every part of the team needs to be more aggressive--including the pass rush. That's more important than anything else he does, IMHO.

Manusky was certainly more aggressive with the pass rush when he was in San Diego. I'll bet we see the same kind of schemes this season.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by WestCoastNut:
Every facet of every part of the team needs to be more aggressive--including the pass rush. That's more important than anything else he does, IMHO.

Manusky was certainly more aggressive with the pass rush when he was in San Diego. I'll bet we see the same kind of schemes this season.

I sure hope so that will make this defense top 10 for sure & also very exciting to watch!
He's got more than enough speed to rush the passer. He just needed a little more strength to deal with blockers. My guess is that Lawson's weight gain is muscle.
It's make or break year for Manny this year.

He wasn't 100 percent yet at the start of last season,but he has no excuse this year.
I agree. If Lawson's going to turn into a difference maker, it has to be this season with their emphasis on his pass rushing. If he is productive rushing the passer, Haralson will also get more sacks, the backfield will get more ints, and the entire defense will move into a top-10 squad.
Interior pressure !!!! This is what Manny and Parys must get from the others to be more of a factor !!!!

... and I know that this will be found laughable, but if he can stay healthy for a change, don't give up hope for Jay Moore as a good backup if needed.
I think we all hope Manny proves to be a Pass Rusher this season...the 9ers are certainly providing him the opportunity this season.

I'd also like the 9ers to let loose Patrick Willis more as a Pass Rusher. I recall in the limited chances they sent Willis last season on a middle linebacker blitz...Willis got there!
Originally posted by BigMar:
I think we all hope Manny proves to be a Pass Rusher this season...the 9ers are certainly providing him the opportunity this season.

I'd also like the 9ers to let loose Patrick Willis more as a Pass Rusher. I recall in the limited chances they sent Willis last season on a middle linebacker blitz...Willis got there!

Because thats what he does

Wow, I second that. Willis is just so freakishly quick. More pressure from the two outside guys should open up some holes in the middle. Plus, in the past, Manusky has used these tricks where the D-lineman slants into a hole and tries to shoot it and as soon as an O-lineman moves to help, the middle LB shoots in behind him. I'm hoping we see Willis do that this year.

Wow, I second that. Willis is just so freakishly quick. More pressure from the two outside guys should open up some holes in the middle. Plus, in the past, Manusky has used these tricks where the D-lineman slants into a hole and tries to shoot it and as soon as an O-lineman moves to help, the middle LB shoots in behind him. I'm hoping we see Willis do that this year.

Hopefully we see Singletary use the D to create lots of pressure,he did it after he took over last year,I can't see why he can't do it again this year...
  • nekst
  • Info N/A

I see other teams do this all the time and I always wondered why we never did it. I hope to see it often this year. The Seahawks did it against us constantly in the past. Worked every time.
Two things: 1. Manny Lawson has a great sense of humor. 2. There has been a lot written about the new Niners off-season weight and strength-training regimen. They've evidently got a new guy and the players are liking his program because it's challenging. A number of players have added muscle mass. There was an article about how much Balmer has added.

I'm guessing Lawson actually HAS added muscle weight. I'm guessing he's serious enough about his career to not waste his time sitting around stuffing his pie hole with junk food. Something tells me there's not a lot of Cheetos eating with Singletary stalking around the building. So I wouldn't get to worried about his little offhand comment.

I agree

What is Willis' height and weight?
Originally posted by nekst:
Here is an excerpt from Manny Lawson's recent blog:

Quote:
After minicamp some of the reporters picked up on the fact that I’ve put on some weight. It wasn’t a focus of mine and I don’t think it will ever be a focus of mine. If it happens, it happens. Yes, I have gained a little bit of weight. But I won’t gain so much to where it hinders me. Once I start to see my performance drop, I have to start slimming down. That might be tough for me, because I love food. I love sweets and I love snacks.

As a matter of fact, I’m eating M&M’s right now!

Link

Feel free to temper your enthusiasm about Manny's weight gain and how he's going to become a force as a pass-rusher.

Gaining muscular weight should help... but Manny needs to put it all together if he ever is to prove he is a legit NFL Pass Rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone