There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Manny Lawson's Weight Gain

  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Here is an excerpt from Manny Lawson's recent blog:

Quote:
After minicamp some of the reporters picked up on the fact that I’ve put on some weight. It wasn’t a focus of mine and I don’t think it will ever be a focus of mine. If it happens, it happens. Yes, I have gained a little bit of weight. But I won’t gain so much to where it hinders me. Once I start to see my performance drop, I have to start slimming down. That might be tough for me, because I love food. I love sweets and I love snacks.

As a matter of fact, I’m eating M&M’s right now!

Link

Feel free to temper your enthusiasm about Manny's weight gain and how he's going to become a force as a pass-rusher.
I don't mind that he's not the elite pass rusher that we drafted him to be, because he turned out to be amazing in coverage. He's not a terrible pass rusher either.

It'll be nice to see how Singletary will use him this year, I don't think Nolan knew what the hell he was doing with Manny.
Originally posted by Apples:
I don't mind that he's not the elite pass rusher that we drafted him to be, because he turned out to be amazing in coverage. He's not a terrible pass rusher either.

It'll be nice to see how Singletary will use him this year, I don't think Nolan knew what the hell he was doing with Manny.

exactly, for a converted DE he has turned out to be a nice surprise coverage linebacker, and i think a lot of people look past the fact that the guy is also a sure as crap tackler...willis may be the only more sure tackler on the team..
I wasn't thrilled with his comments either. When I first heard about his weight gain, I thought he had bulked up in muscle or something. Then I read this today and its evident its probably mostly fat. How is a guy making millions, who is considered a professional athlete, letting his body go like that? Where is the self motivation?
Originally posted by Apples:
I don't mind that he's not the elite pass rusher that we drafted him to be, because he turned out to be amazing in coverage. He's not a terrible pass rusher either.

It'll be nice to see how Singletary will use him this year, I don't think Nolan knew what the hell he was doing with Manny.

You think he'll still be "amazing in coverage" with the extra body fat?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Apples:
I don't mind that he's not the elite pass rusher that we drafted him to be, because he turned out to be amazing in coverage. He's not a terrible pass rusher either.

It'll be nice to see how Singletary will use him this year, I don't think Nolan knew what the hell he was doing with Manny.

You think he'll still be "amazing in coverage" with the extra body fat?

O hell yeah! Fanny aka "Fatty" Lawson!
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,517
It was the freaking off-season. Almost all players will come into mini-camp and training camp with a little baggage which Manny can easily shed.

Even Carlisle mentions this in one of the videos for those who follow TV49.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I wasn't thrilled with his comments either. When I first heard about his weight gain, I thought he had bulked up in muscle or something. Then I read this today and its evident its probably mostly fat. How is a guy making millions, who is considered a professional athlete, letting his body go like that? Where is the self motivation?

Yeah at first I thought it was going to be muscle that he gained, but it must be fat since he's saying he's eating M&M's.
It sounds like the weight gain isn't from working out, unless you count his chewing muscles. If he was getting bigger and stronger and still retains his speed, that would be one thing. But, weight gain from overeating or indulging in the wrong foods, esp when you've been a bit of a disappointment in the role initially envisioned for you, that's perhaps cause for concern, and maybe he needs a Singletary slap of reality?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I wasn't thrilled with his comments either. When I first heard about his weight gain, I thought he had bulked up in muscle or something. Then I read this today and its evident its probably mostly fat. How is a guy making millions, who is considered a professional athlete, letting his body go like that? Where is the self motivation?

There was a picture of him and the Niners held that mini camp before the draft. He looks solid and it's not fat at all.

So you read that he likes sweets and immediately thought that he gained fat?
Based on reports from Barrows and Maiocco, it sounds like he's put on real muscle mass and not fat. I'm pretty sure Manny's joking for the most part here.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,517
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Based on reports from Barrows and Maiocco, it sounds like he's put on real muscle mass and not fat. I'm pretty sure Manny's joking for the most part here.

Unfortunately not many people know that Manny Lawson and Joe Staley have a comedic side to them.
Originally posted by nekst:
Here is an excerpt from Manny Lawson's recent blog:

Quote:
After minicamp some of the reporters picked up on the fact that I’ve put on some weight. It wasn’t a focus of mine and I don’t think it will ever be a focus of mine. If it happens, it happens. Yes, I have gained a little bit of weight. But I won’t gain so much to where it hinders me. Once I start to see my performance drop, I have to start slimming down. That might be tough for me, because I love food. I love sweets and I love snacks.

As a matter of fact, I’m eating M&M’s right now!

Link

Feel free to temper your enthusiasm about Manny's weight gain and how he's going to become a force as a pass-rusher.

lol, how can anyone come to a conclusion based on that. It doesn't even say in that excerpt wether he gained muscle or fat or both. And a person can have m&ms and still not be fat.

And as one poster mentioned, Bee-rows and Maiocco mentioned the he seems to have gained some muscle mass.
Originally posted by nekst:
Here is an excerpt from Manny Lawson's recent blog:

Quote:
After minicamp some of the reporters picked up on the fact that I’ve put on some weight. It wasn’t a focus of mine and I don’t think it will ever be a focus of mine. If it happens, it happens. Yes, I have gained a little bit of weight. But I won’t gain so much to where it hinders me. Once I start to see my performance drop, I have to start slimming down. That might be tough for me, because I love food. I love sweets and I love snacks.

As a matter of fact, I’m eating M&M’s right now!

Link

Feel free to temper your enthusiasm about Manny's weight gain and how he's going to become a force as a pass-rusher.

Hope it comes with 12 sacks this year too!!!
  • yoyo49
  • Info N/A
My girlfriend loves M&M's and she weighs 105,

does that mean she's fat too now...