LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Ahmed Brooks moved to OLB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Obviously there have been good reports about Brooks out of Mini-camp, I wonder what his weight is right now. I doubt hes still 260, weren't there reports that he was close to 300 pounds?? Hope he does good, this might be his last chance.

He is close to 370 now. . . runs a 6.6 40, but will make up for that with "Flubber"+
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Caption? I wonder what he is thinking lol

Ahmad: Jeff looks so yummy when his boobs start to sweat
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I remember when we got Brrok last year and everyone was declaring that we had found our future TED linebacker. Just sayin'

Wasn't that way before Takeo Spikes showed he can handle the Ted position?

Just Sayin.

What does Takeo Spikes have anything to do with the boards over infatuation with Brooks last year.

Just sayin'
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I remember when we got Brrok last year and everyone was declaring that we had found our future TED linebacker. Just sayin'

Just Sayin.

What does Takeo Spikes have anything to do with the boards over infatuation with Brooks last year.

Just sayin'

Well you mentioned how the board thought Brooks was the Future Ted. But you disregarded that was way before Spikes went on to have a good season at the Ted. Which is why he's here another two years.
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
Haralson Lawson
Harris Moore/Brooks
Right now brooks just has to beat out Moore for a roster spot. Shouldnt be that hard considering the only reason Moore is on the team is because he got hurt at the end of training camp.
The only other OLB is Briggs
From Maiocco- NFLdraftscout ranks him as the 41st-best outside linebacker. Kiper has him at 33rd.
His future - Everybody is looking for a pass-rusher. If Briggs impresses, the 49ers will consider keeping him on the practice squad.
I think Brooks is going to make the team and i hope he starts to realize his potential

Just Sayin.

Just sayin'

Well you mentioned how the board thought Brooks was the Future Ted. But you disregarded that was way before Spikes went on to have a good season at the Ted. Which is why he's here another two years.

People were all over the guy when we got him. People thought he was an absolute steal and that Cinci was dumb for letting him go. After a year of doing absolutely jack sh*t people now are going apesh*t over a few good comments made by our defensive coordinator in the offseason. This is nothing about Takeo Spikes, this just feels like deja vu.

While I hope for the guy to do well, and prove me wrong just remember last year.
  • r28884
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by r28884:
Originally posted by mebemused:
Looks like Singletary is trying out Brooks at OLB this training camp. Previously he was backing up P-Willey. Don't know how he will fair, but at 6'3" 260 lbs, 4.69 40, and a Butkus finalist, he has the athleticism to compete at OLB.

I like that Singletary is moving athletes that were riding the pine, into positions where they might actually make plays in a game. Reggie Smith at FS is another example.

Not to nit pick but R. Smith has been at SS

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/1831000.html?mi_rss=49ers

• Despite drafting a safety, Curtis Taylor, in the seventh round, the 49ers will continue to play Reggie Smith at safety. Smith was drafted in 2008 as a cornerback, but he's played strong safety in the 49ers' two minicamps.

I thought Smith was playing SS because Lewis and Roman weren't part of the first 2 OTAs, and they didn't have enough bodies for the SS spot...did I miss something?

Honestly I dont know....I just read this yesterday havent really heard anything else about it. Although having watch him play at OU...SS does suit his style of play.
Actually, MadDog is correct in saying that A Brooks hasn't produced at all.

For myself, I think Ahmad has the athletic potential that has yet to be focused into achievement. Remember that great YouTube video of Brooks diving over the line of scrimage on the snap and crushing the QB? Never seen anything like it.

The hype I am buying into is Mike Singletary's ability to salvage disgarded players. Whether Mike can work wonders on Ahmed, only time will tell. But it is that Brooks + Singletary may equal something good that I am working on. Not Brooks is special.

And, if you haven't noticed, we have a number of players that are being rehabed by Singletary:
Ahmed Brooks
Jimmy Williams
Alex Boone (when he didn't get drafted, his agent pointed him to the 49ers cause of Singletary's reputation.)
Jean Francios ?
Kory Sheets

I don't think there is another HC in the NFL that has a reputation for rehabing players' identities.

PS: MadDog, I knew you do right by your kids!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Old news.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/03/the-hard-work-begins.html
Brooks has some things going for him besides his physical tools...first is Singletary, who can motivate him to "bring it", another's Manusky, who's obviously got the coaching skills to use Ahmed the right way. He could be a beast or a bust...let's hope it's the former.

Realistically, unless we pick up another OLB, Ahmad Brooks, crappy play or not, has a VERY good chance at making the roster.

We are thin at LB and that is why this is even a topic. After Parys and Manny, who's next in line at OLB?

I just don't understand people who deny the reality of our OLB situation and depth but wanna call people dumb for thinking this guy has a chance.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd use the term "Fool's Gold" on him, but I've already reserved that title for Vernon Davis.

A ton of hype, and very little to show for it. People, do not buy the hype!!!!

werent you the one that was hypeing liruanis(sp) saying he was the best LB and at one point should have been a top 5 pick. vernon davis was a lot of hype but he had production in college. you cant blame his lack of production all on him when he hasnt been used correctly all the time.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd use the term "Fool's Gold" on him, but I've already reserved that title for Vernon Davis.

A ton of hype, and very little to show for it. People, do not buy the hype!!!!

werent you the one that was hypeing liruanis(sp) saying he was the best LB and at one point should have been a top 5 pick. vernon davis was a lot of hype but he had production in college. you cant blame his lack of production all on him when he hasnt been used correctly all the time.

I still believe today that Laurinaitis is the best MLB in his draft class, and was the first selected for this position, before Maualuga.

As for a top 5 pick, I would never draft a MLB in the top five picks. We were very lucky to hit on Willis at 11, but the reality is that the top 5 picks should be focused primarily LT's, QB's, WR's.

Davis was a good, not great college player, but was drafted high due to his measurables.

As for Brooks' production, he simply has not been a very good pro football player. He does not have a great work ethic, has struggled at times to maintain a decent weight and stay in shape, does not have great football intelligence, and is being shifted around for one primary reason: everyone is experimenting to find a position where he can play in the NFL.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Realistically, unless we pick up another OLB, Ahmad Brooks, crappy play or not, has a VERY good chance at making the roster.

We are thin at LB and that is why this is even a topic. After Parys and Manny, who's next in line at OLB?

I just don't understand people who deny the reality of our OLB situation and depth but wanna call people dumb for thinking this guy has a chance.

Harris would be next in line. But I think we could potentially keep Jay Moore and Ahmed Brooks on the active roster for special teams usage.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mebemused:

And, if you haven't noticed, we have a number of players that are being rehabed by Singletary:
Ahmed Brooks
Jimmy Williams
Alex Boone (when he didn't get drafted, his agent pointed him to the 49ers cause of Singletary's reputation.)
Jean Francios ?
Kory Sheets

I don't think there is another HC in the NFL that has a reputation for rehabing players' identities.

You are right that no coach in the NFL will stake their reputation on the players you mentioned above. However, the 49ers are in a position right now where they are investing relatively little time, energy and money into these players with the hopes the one or two of them can turn things around.

The very worst scenario is that we release them. The very best scenario is that we find a starter among them.
Share 49ersWebzone