LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

ESPN Sportsnation gives the 9ers an A for the draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Meaningless grade....I'm high on Crabtree and love that we got him but his selection was nothing more than a random pick b/c he happened to be there at #10 rather then the result of a carefully orchestrated plan to build a pass-first powerhouse around a potential star player.

One could argue that it was a horrible pick that didn't make sense considering MS announced to the entire football world that he was going to focus on the run yet they took the best WR in the draft. Some would say they would've been far better served by bolstering the grossly problematic OL if they're planning on a smash-mouth, run-first scheme.

I'm 100% sure that MS said that we want to be able to run it at will on our opposition. He never once said that it will be run first. Actually he said we have to have a balanced attack and Crabs will make that much easier.

Nowhere did Singletary use the word "smash-mouth." He has said he wants to run when he needs to and wants balance between run and pass. Fans like 49wyztoscore need to go to their own training camp.

I'm not sure why even our more mentally-challenged participants don't get this yet. It's been said over and over. Let's go through it again and I'm guessing this won't be the last time: Singletary and Raye want to be able to run the ball when they want to run the ball, even if the opposition knows they're going to run the ball. Nowhere in there is the promise that the team will "run first" or even run a lot more than throw the ball. After watching Martz' offense last year from the sidelines, it should be obvious what Singletary and Raye have in mind: when they're sitting on a lead in the 4th quarter, they want to grind it out on the ground and run out the clock. Look at the OL they're putting together and think early-to-mid-'90s Cowboys.
Meaningless grade....I'm high on Crabtree and love that we got him but his selection was nothing more than a random pick b/c he happened to be there at #10 rather then the result of a carefully orchestrated plan to build a pass-first powerhouse around a potential star player.

One could argue that it was a horrible pick that didn't make sense considering MS announced to the entire football world that he was going to focus on the run yet they took the best WR in the draft. Some would say they would've been far better served by bolstering the grossly problematic OL if they're planning on a smash-mouth, run-first scheme.

You're correct that Sing has said that he wants a run first mentality. He wants to meddle and interfere with the offensive philosophy. He's straight up stone age.

The moves were meant to create stability, as Singletary said he did not consider Martz's scheme a long-term solution for the 49ers' offense.

"I think sometimes you have to take a step back, in order to go forward,"
Singletary said.

The 49ers will have the franchise's seventh offensive coordinator in seven seasons. But Singletary felt the best way to create continuity was to part ways with Martz. Singletary said his philosophy is different than Martz's. Singletary said he wants the 49ers to adopt a run-first mentality.

http://sfo.scout.com/2/830009.html

Wow, at least he acknowledges that we are taking a step back with him at the controls. He couldn't find an offensive coordinator that would work for him and had to finally give the job to Raye out of, what had to be, flat out desperation on Raye's part. Nobody was going to hire this guy for offensive coordinator position at any level. He jumped at the chance to be a yes man. Sing needed somebody in there that would allow him to control the offensive game plan. Raye has a history of being willing to be an offensive coordinator in name only and allow the head coach to call the game.

McCloughan had no business drafting Crabtree and pairing him with these two. It was a pick to make the analysts happy, but not a pick that made sense. Shanahan would get some use of Crabtree. He's pretty much wasted with Sing.
Is there anyone other than the twins here that believes having a "run-first attitude" means a team is always going to run first? The Giants, Titans and Steelers have at various times described their attitude as "run-first." So what? Again, last season, the Titans averaged 26 passes and 28 runs a game. This complaint against Singletary's attitude is simply bunk. It has no basis in fact. It's just a product of the fact that some fans don't like Singletary, that's all.

Every single statement I've seen coming out of OTA's from media and players alike has been positive. The players obviously like playing for Singletary. Some have even said he's the reason they're here. The offensive players like Raye's schemes. Both of the QB's have been performing well. This is all good stuff, people. I'm not sure why any of this wouldn't give Singletary's detractors pause. I'm not sure why a Niner fan who didn't like Singletary wouldn't at least give him a little benefit of the doubt after seeing the way the players take to him. As usual, I can't wait for the season to start.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Is there anyone other than the twins here that believes having a "run-first attitude" means a team is always going to run first? The Giants, Titans and Steelers have at various times described their attitude as "run-first." So what? Again, last season, the Titans averaged 26 passes and 28 runs a game. This complaint against Singletary's attitude is simply bunk. It has no basis in fact. It's just a product of the fact that some fans don't like Singletary, that's all.

Every single statement I've seen coming out of OTA's from media and players alike has been positive. The players obviously like playing for Singletary. Some have even said he's the reason they're here. The offensive players like Raye's schemes. Both of the QB's have been performing well. This is all good stuff, people. I'm not sure why any of this wouldn't give Singletary's detractors pause. I'm not sure why a Niner fan who didn't like Singletary wouldn't at least give him a little benefit of the doubt after seeing the way the players take to him. As usual, I can't wait for the season to start.

You know, you're right. We probably shouldn't believe what he says . That would be a good defense for another factually incorrect post of yours. What's it going to be? You either believe him or you don't. And don't bring other teams into this. They have nothing to do with what Singletary wants to do. Those other teams have Coughlin, Fisher and Tomlin. Those guys led teams to Super Bowls. Singletary isn't in their category. Singletary is a motivational prop.
Could you be specific? How was my post "factually incorrect?"

And, please get a clue man. Singletary hasn't even coached a full season yet so of course he's not in the same catagory as a coach who won a SB. But just for the sake of argument, if you take Fisher's SB away and go back to when he began as a coach, why wouldn't you have felt the same way or worse about him than you do now about Singletary - former player, assistant coach, same thing, but with less personality.
Originally posted by singfan:

You're correct that Sing has said that he wants a run first mentality. He wants to meddle and interfere with the offensive philosophy. He's straight up stone age.

The moves were meant to create stability, as Singletary said he did not consider Martz's scheme a long-term solution for the 49ers' offense.

Singletary said.

The 49ers will have the franchise's seventh offensive coordinator in seven seasons. But Singletary felt the best way to create continuity was to part ways with Martz. Singletary said his philosophy is different than Martz's. Singletary said he wants the 49ers to adopt a run-first mentality.

Wow, at least he acknowledges that we are taking a step back with him at the controls. He couldn't find an offensive coordinator that would work for him and had to finally give the job to Raye out of, what had to be, flat out desperation on Raye's part. Nobody was going to hire this guy for offensive coordinator position at any level. He jumped at the chance to be a yes man. Sing needed somebody in there that would allow him to control the offensive game plan. Raye has a history of being willing to be an offensive coordinator in name only and allow the head coach to call the game.

McCloughan had no business drafting Crabtree and pairing him with these two. It was a pick to make the analysts happy, but not a pick that made sense. Shanahan would get some use of Crabtree. He's pretty much wasted with Sing.

I think you have too much sand in your vagina

I'm 100% sure that MS said that we want to be able to run it at will on our opposition. He never once said that it will be run first. Actually he said we have to have a balanced attack and Crabs will make that much easier.

Great, my point remains the same. If he wants to run it at will against the opposition I would think he would do far more to bolster the problematic OL. An OL that has greatly contributed to Gore's fall from his elite 2006 status to the mistake-proned, non-factor he is today.

From what I've read on this site, the majority of the fans here were quite content with the current WR corp prior to Crabtree's selection and nobody was screaming that taking a WR was top priority. Only AFTER Crabtree's random selection did some fans attempt to justify it and provide countless reasons why it was a great pick.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Nowhere did Singletary use the word "smash-mouth." He has said he wants to run when he needs to and wants balance between run and pass. Fans like 49wyztoscore need to go to their own training camp.

Thanks, Paul. What insight. I actually used the word smash-mouth all by myself if that's ok with you. My point remains the same so feel free to use whatever word you'd like to describe MS's tough-minded, run-first philosophy.

Singletary said.

Great post and thank you for confirming for the supporters what I already knew -- that MS did indeed say "run-first." He was very clear about his intentions even though the supporters have been trying to side-step that fact for a long time now. I was not going to waste my time finding the specific link to prove it.

Certain fans here have been busy trying to convince us that MS wants a "balanced" offense and only wants to run in the 4th qtr if/when they have a lead when MS clearly stated that he wants to simply "run-first." He wants a more "conventional" offense focused on the run.

I love how MS thought he was qualified to state that Martz's scheme was not a long-term solution to the 49ers offense esp after the improvement we all witnessed. lol..embarrassing. Mr. know-nothing thinks he's qualified to pass judgement on the famous scheme of a famed qb guru and proven SB winner. Wow. He probably bashes Walsh's schemes too....lol Pretty much says it all.

Yeah, taking a step back with MS as HC is an understatement.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 5, 2009 at 12:10 AM ]

Singletary said.

Extrordinary. So according to you although one of the best couple of players in the entire draft fell to us, taking him didn't make sense. This hits a new low, I think.

I can't even be bothered to rebutt this bunkum

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Esco:
We have the most homers

this

So is that an A as well?

A++
Originally posted by BobbyDrake:
Not that it means anything because the draft is all about "wait-n-see", but it's still nice to see....
LINK

BTW it was the only "A" they gave out. (A few "A-" but no other "A"s)

Go Figure..
Originally posted by RonMexico:
We have the most homers

this

We got an "A" for being homers too! YEAH!!! We are kicking butt this offseason.
We have the most homers

The Raiders have way more than we do. If they win the opening game of the season, they're going to the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
We have the most homers

The Raiders have way more than we do. If they win the opening game of the season, they're going to the Super Bowl.

I'm sure they'll be some people in Niner Talk saying we're going to the Super Bowl if we win three or four preseason games.
Share 49ersWebzone