There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ESPN Sportsnation gives the 9ers an A for the draft

Not that it means anything because the draft is all about "wait-n-see", but it's still nice to see....
LINK



BTW it was the only "A" they gave out. (A few "A-" but no other "A"s)
[ Edited by BobbyDrake on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM ]
wow, they got the highest grade. The highest with only one first day pick, wow.
Originally posted by BobbyDrake:
Not that it means anything because the draft is all about "wait-n-see", but it's still nice to see....
LINK



BTW it was the only "A" they gave out. (A few "A-" but no other "A"s)

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by 1251alex:
wow, they got the highest grade. The highest with only one first day pick, wow.

That's cause our trade with Carolina was MONEY.

(Cue the fans who still want us to go after Peppers)
  • Milesngo
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BobbyDrake:
Not that it means anything because the draft is all about "wait-n-see", but it's still nice to see....
LINK



BTW it was the only "A" they gave out. (A few "A-" but no other "A"s)

Long time reader, but first post here!

It's really nice to see the contingent of 49ers fans slowing coming up and supporting our team. True, it was luck that Crabtree fell to us at 10th; but it was our lack of pick in the 2nd round which in my opinion, earned us such a high grade among other football fans across the country. Trading that 2nd round pick for a player we really didn't have a roster slot for, Everette Brown would have been nice; but I'm glad we decided on building Manny and Parys. Solid picks with McKillop, Coffee, and Davis definitely don't hurt us either.

I can't wait for the 2010 draft, as with two first round picks, we'll be in a prime position to get a few more blue-chip players in what is widely regarded as a much deeper draft.

Very nice job by the 49ers management; I know it's just a sportsnation grade, but it's nice to see regardless.
Coffee is the key. If you like that pick then its hard not to give an A. If you think the Coffee pick was bad and/or an unnecessary pick, it wold probably be a C.
Originally posted by jones49:
Coffee is the key. If you like that pick then its hard not to give an A. If you think the Coffee pick was bad and/or an unnecessary pick, it wold probably be a C.

What do you think of the pick Jonesy?I like Coffee even though as a Vol fan I hate Bama.He is a hard nosed runner that I think will help us to wear down the defense in the fourth quarter.
It is nice to see some love from espn! Last yrs draft grade was pretty low. And the highest grade! Wow im surprised!
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 22,353
We have the most homers
Originally posted by Esco:
We have the most homers

this
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Esco:
We have the most homers

this

So is that an A as well?
Meaningless grade....I'm high on Crabtree and love that we got him but his selection was nothing more than a random pick b/c he happened to be there at #10 rather then the result of a carefully orchestrated plan to build a pass-first powerhouse around a potential star player.

One could argue that it was a horrible pick that didn't make sense considering MS announced to the entire football world that he was going to focus on the run yet they took the best WR in the draft. Some would say they would've been far better served by bolstering the grossly problematic OL if they're planning on a smash-mouth, run-first scheme.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Meaningless grade....I'm high on Crabtree and love that we got him but his selection was nothing more than a random pick b/c he happened to be there at #10 rather then the result of a carefully orchestrated plan to build a pass-first powerhouse around a potential star player.

One could argue that it was a horrible pick that didn't make sense considering MS announced to the entire football world that he was going to focus on the run yet they took the best WR in the draft. Some would say they would've been far better served by bolstering the grossly problematic OL if they're planning on a smash-mouth, run-first scheme.

I'm 100% sure that MS said that we want to be able to run it at will on our opposition. He never once said that it will be run first. Actually he said we have to have a balanced attack and Crabs will make that much easier.
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Meaningless grade....I'm high on Crabtree and love that we got him but his selection was nothing more than a random pick b/c he happened to be there at #10 rather then the result of a carefully orchestrated plan to build a pass-first powerhouse around a potential star player.

One could argue that it was a horrible pick that didn't make sense considering MS announced to the entire football world that he was going to focus on the run yet they took the best WR in the draft. Some would say they would've been far better served by bolstering the grossly problematic OL if they're planning on a smash-mouth, run-first scheme.

A random pick rather than a carefully orchestrated plan? Perhaps you could explain how you could have a carefully orchestrated plan to draft a star player when 9 other clubs draft ahead of you.

If the team put their hands into a bag to select the player your criticism would have validity. But they did not. They selected the best player remaining. Which is what they should have done. Sorry if this isn't negative enough for you.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Meaningless grade....I'm high on Crabtree and love that we got him but his selection was nothing more than a random pick b/c he happened to be there at #10 rather then the result of a carefully orchestrated plan to build a pass-first powerhouse around a potential star player.

One could argue that it was a horrible pick that didn't make sense considering MS announced to the entire football world that he was going to focus on the run yet they took the best WR in the draft. Some would say they would've been far better served by bolstering the grossly problematic OL if they're planning on a smash-mouth, run-first scheme.

I'm 100% sure that MS said that we want to be able to run it at will on our opposition. He never once said that it will be run first. Actually he said we have to have a balanced attack and Crabs will make that much easier.

Nowhere did Singletary use the word "smash-mouth." He has said he wants to run when he needs to and wants balance between run and pass. Fans like 49wyztoscore need to go to their own training camp.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Jul 4, 2009 at 8:06 AM ]