LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Shawntae Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
He took Bly's spot when he went out.

I wasn't impressed at all at Clements play tonight. Got that horrible P.I. call then burned for a TD. What's the opposite of lock down?

Way to talk s**t during practice then get burned multiple times during the game. Has this guy really lived up to his big contract?

Why you trying to thread hijack? I thought this was supposed to be about Spencer.

yeah i'm watching the raider's horrible broadcast that is making me too tired to start a new thread
Clements is starting to worry me. He hasnt played very good lately.
Originally posted by RaiderHater90:
Clements is starting to worry me. He hasnt played very good lately.

"I felt we played at a level that they could not match," Clements said.

Both Clements and Bly credited Shawntae Spencer, who had some words while being matched against Raiders rookie receiver Louis Murphy in one-on-one drills.

"A Florida guy," Bly said of Murphy. "They've got two national championships, so I guess you feel like you can dome into this league and talk. I was telling one of the guys, national championships on this level is equivalent to a high school state championship. Nobody cares. That's in the past.

"Murphy got things going, and from that point on, we just dominated practice."

Obviously, Spencer did not back down. He "set the tone for practice," Clements said. "That got my blood flowing."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/a-day-for-the-defense.html

Murphy got his revenge twice tonight.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I wasn't impressed at all at Clements play tonight. Got that horrible P.I. call then burned for a TD. What's the opposite of lock down?

Way to talk s**t during practice then get burned multiple times during the game. Has this guy really lived up to his big contract?

Why you trying to thread hijack? I thought this was supposed to be about Spencer.

yeah i'm watching the raider's horrible broadcast that is making me too tired to start a new thread

Seriously though, I know Greg Papa does Bay Area sports but he's freaking annoying as hell as a Raiders announcer. He sounds like he's having a freaking orgasm out there, yelling on the top of his lungs like a little kid who just got his muffin stolen at school for every 5 yard gain. Someone tell him that it's only preseason and the Raiders are going to 2-14 for their 7th consecutive losing season.
[ Edited by B650 on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM ]
Clements sucks
He had a quiet night last night.
  • CoffeeMachine
  • Info N/A

Did you watch the game?

That PI call was a LOT better than giving up a TD. I applaud him for the smarts to do that.

He didn't get burned on that TD either. He was playing zone coverage. It was the safety that blew the play and gave up the TD when he didn't shift over to cover the receiver. You are aware of the difference between man and zone coverage, right?
hope spencer steps up, hope brown gets back from his injury, and I hope eric green plays like he did last yr at least
A good article on Spencer. Looks like no one has caught a pass against him yet.

Quote:
To my knowledge no one has caught a ball on him; and he's forced quarterbacks to turn away from his receiver to spy other opportunities. Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky has called Spencer's play, "clean;"

The Surprise of Shawntae Spencer
Spencer has been quietly taking care of business ------ we are gonna look good in our nickle and dime.

My question is, if he has been so good why hasn't he got a crack with the ones?
Originally posted by scoobyduu24:

He did crack the one's... back in 2005 and 2006. He was replaced by Walt Harris when the Niners picked up Nate Clements in free agency.

Since then, he's been hurt and inconsistent. I think he's a "good" corner, but often I wonder if Donald Strickland was just as good in similar situations.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

He did crack the one's... back in 2005 and 2006. He was replaced by Walt Harris when the Niners picked up Nate Clements in free agency.

Since then, he's been hurt and inconsistent. I think he's a "good" corner, but often I wonder if Donald Strickland was just as good in similar situations.

My recollection is a bit different: SS was touted as an up and comer a few years ago after a solid year just before he signed his new contract. Since then, he has been perpetually injured. However, I do not recall any recent inconsistency.

I think that, if he can stay healthy, he'll be quite solid this year.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

My recollection is a bit different: SS was touted as an up and comer a few years ago after a solid year just before he signed his new contract. Since then, he has been perpetually injured. However, I do not recall any recent inconsistency.

Two years ago he tried to play through an injury and got beat on a few occasions. However, when healthy, he had been a solid player. Before his injury last season he was supposedly pushing Harris for a starting slot.

If he comes back to form, he could be a very ample replacement for Harris.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Two years ago he tried to play through an injury and got beat on a few occasions. However, when healthy, he had been a solid player. Before his injury last season he was supposedly pushing Harris for a starting slot.

If he comes back to form, he could be a very ample replacement for Harris.

Let's hope. We could use some bounces going our way for a change.
Share 49ersWebzone