There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Originally posted by carl:
Battle is Captain 3rd Down Conversion.

So is Brandon Jones.
Battle has never broken 700 yards. He's 29 already. Played 9 games last year. This guy screams mediocre. I would much rather give the spot to Ziegler or a young draft pick. Lets just move on from Battle who played hard for us when we had crap talent but never could shine on his own when he started.
As fans, we shouldn't get attached to mediocre players on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.
I hope he is ready to play this season, but maybe we should grab another WR with a mid round pick, bring in another fast WR and lets keep the best 5 WR's and go from there ...

He is a key "Role Player" Now we need a few stars to emerge! (yes Josh I am talking to you!)
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

He is a key "Role Player" Now we need a few stars to emerge! (yes Josh I am talking to you!)

For depth/potential special teams purposes, it's important to keep Battle around for another year. Not sure about 2010 and beyond though, especially as Morgan, Hill, Jones and any incoming rookies become more prominent in the offense.
Keep him for depth, lets not forget what happened to the seahawks receivers a few years ago. So if a similar event happened to us, and we had 3 injuries, at least we would have him (battle) and zeigler to come off the bench.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by VA49er:
Every off season people ask about cutting battle. I'll eat a five dollar bill if he doesn't make the team.

I hear you, but If we're gonna also draft a WR, then someone will have to go( Bruce, Hill, Morgan, Jones, Zeigler, Rookie) That's 6 WR's. and we have to be aware of the numbers. Most teams keep only 5 WR's, but if we keep 6, Battle will have to send one of the above to the un-employment line.

Looks like Z will hit the unemployment line then.
I am really torn on this at this point. Battle was a key contributer, but it was on bad teams. Maybe he was just the best of what was around which is not a ringing endorsement. However, I do feel that he is the type of role player that could produce in certain situations. He is injury prone, but he will play hurt. I am actually literally 50-50 on this. I think that if either Hill or Morgan step way up in the preseason then Battle will be cut. Tough life, but it is the business.
Because he played well on a terrible team to me means that he could play even better on a good team. We need to keep our veterans who have been loyal members of the team.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

For depth/potential special teams purposes, it's important to keep Battle around for another year. Not sure about 2010 and beyond though, especially as Morgan, Hill, Jones and any incoming rookies become more prominent in the offense.

When healthy Battle is a good #3 WR and PR/KR. He might be gone though. I have always hoped he would have a situation where he had a dependable O to feed him the ball or wasn't injured. Actually, he could be a trade sweetener for a team needing WR depth. Doesn't Denver's Brandon Marshall face some potential suspensions...
How could anyone want Zeigler over Battle? That is just rediculous. If you think we are a better team with Zeigler then Battle then your crazy.
Originally posted by sfgo2fivewin5:
sorry but im one of those who thinks that battle is expendible at this point, he played well on terrible teams end of story. For now he is just taking up a roster spot that we can use on developing a young player. battle will be 30 next year and is beginning to become injury prone. This is not to bash him its just the business side of the thing he is making 1.49 mill in 2009 and that is too much for his production. And with Bruce now back we have that veteran presence that would have justified Battle staying if bruce had not.

Come on you guys this guy has done a lot for us weather you like it or not BATTLE IS A NINER and the kind of players we want around....He never complains about anything he dosnt want more money...heck i even think he would take a pay cut if it ment we would win a game....you guys Sing wants more BATTLE kind of people here and im sure somehow hes ganna stay.....im out
I don't care about Battle.

If he stays or goes, I won't care.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
I don't care about Battle.

If he stays or goes, I won't care.

Me neither. I just hope that Morgan gets a true shot at showing if he can be a #1 WR.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. I believe that Battle is well "worth a roster spot at this point."

Next to Isaac Bruce, Battle is the most experienced and reliable WR on the roster.

Battle has proven, time and again, to be a dependable slot receiver who finds ways to get open at times of need, typically on third down. He has great hands, and underrated speed, and is a willing and capable blocker. He's also a terrific special teams player, and a solid, veteran presence in the locker room. What's not to like?

So, unless injuries force him to retire, or someone is drafted who beats him out of his spot(s), I look forward to watching him continue to contribute to whatever success the team has this year, as he has in years past. Hopefully, even more so.

Go Niners.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home