LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

If we carry 6 WR Battle will probably make the team. Brings leadership, good blocker, caught everything near him in 2007 last year dropped a few last year.

Will be fascinating to watch tipping point might be what he does on special teams.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Still no reply:

I don't know MD. It looks good the way you explain it but in 6 years as a pro, he has never started all 16 games.

Only two years has he started 15 games out of the 6 years. In those 2 years of starting 15 games, he still hasn't broken the 700 yard mark.

Here's how bad our receiving corp has been. In those 2 "full" Arnaz seasons, he hasn't even broken 59 catches.

I would feel the same as you if our receiving depth was crap as it has been in the past few years, but Bruce jumped on and immediately surpassed Battle with 61 catches and over 700 yards. Now, even Bruce has competition in some up and coming receivers.

I don't see Battle here very long.

First, Battle was transitioning to the game in his first two years. He then started to settle into the starters role.

Who cares if he started 15 or 16 games? You raised the issue over health, and I have stated that his string of 40+ consecutive games played does not show a pattern of injuries which some claim.

As for the 59 catches, you do remember our vaunted passing attack the past couple years, correct? It was really bad, if my memory recalls. And, although his numbers seem small compared to other top receivers around the league, they were still better than other Niners receivers. So, be nice and give the guy some credit, eh?

As for Bruce surpassing Battle with 61 catches, let me ask this question: Who had more catches through 8 games last season? Battle. Who was the backup, and still had the most catches? Battle.

I'm not claiming that Battle will make this roster. Maybe father time will catch up to him. But to dismiss his productivity and consistency in previous years would be folly, and to automatically dismiss the possibility that he could be the top receiver after 8 games this year is also silly. He has proven nearly everyone wrong so far in his career: Transition from WR to QB, starting as a WR, leading the team in statistics. I wouldn't dismiss this guy for one minute.

Now, if we could only change his name to Ahmad Brooks, well then, he'd be a lock to be on the team.

Cheers.

No one is dissmissing his productivity. We are just saying, unlike Ahmad Brooks, Battle is in a long list of receivers in contention for playing time. This is what you fail to understand about Brooks and Battle comparison. One is in a position where "better" players keep getting brought in year after year where the other has no one to compete against.

Since Brooks virtually has no one to compete against for a backup spot, odds are he makes the team over Battle.

Battle was learning his first two years but you still fail to recall that Battle was hurt his 1st or second year. He has only 2 full seasons out of 6: that's Jonas territory.

I think he's a damn good receiver and our second best but I'm a realist and his affect on the team is not reliable because he's consistently banged up more than he has been healthy.

I can argue that we should've kept Jonas because, when he's on the field, he's our best tackle, but...you know the drill.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 4, 2009 at 9:40 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
quote From Maddog

Quote:
I'm not claiming that Battle will make this roster. Maybe father time will catch up to him. But to dismiss his productivity and consistency in previous years would be folly, and to automatically dismiss the possibility that he could be the top receiver after 8 games this year is also silly. He has proven nearly everyone wrong so far in his career: Transition from WR to QB, starting as a WR, leading the team in statistics. I wouldn't dismiss this guy for one minute.

Very concise and precise!!!
[ Edited by buck on May 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
quote From Maddog

Quote:

So, Battle, a player who only plays about a half a season and leads the team in stats gets MD's bonfied sticker but Shaun Hill, who has also proven almost the same thing gets crap?

As "we" do with Battle, MD, you are doing with our QB situation. Of course, this is pending what you actually think about Shaun Hill because I have no idea. If you support him as you do Battle, then I stand corrected, but I have a feeling that you don't.

The difference is that Hill has a better chance to make the roster.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM ]
Still no reply:

I don't know MD. It looks good the way you explain it but in 6 years as a pro, he has never started all 16 games.

Only two years has he started 15 games out of the 6 years. In those 2 years of starting 15 games, he still hasn't broken the 700 yard mark.

Here's how bad our receiving corp has been. In those 2 "full" Arnaz seasons, he hasn't even broken 59 catches.

I would feel the same as you if our receiving depth was crap as it has been in the past few years, but Bruce jumped on and immediately surpassed Battle with 61 catches and over 700 yards. Now, even Bruce has competition in some up and coming receivers.

First, Battle was transitioning to the game in his first two years. He then started to settle into the starters role.

Who cares if he started 15 or 16 games? You raised the issue over health, and I have stated that his string of 40+ consecutive games played does not show a pattern of injuries which some claim.

As for the 59 catches, you do remember our vaunted passing attack the past couple years, correct? It was really bad, if my memory recalls. And, although his numbers seem small compared to other top receivers around the league, they were still better than other Niners receivers. So, be nice and give the guy some credit, eh?

As for Bruce surpassing Battle with 61 catches, let me ask this question: Who had more catches through 8 games last season? Battle. Who was the backup, and still had the most catches? Battle.

Now, if we could only change his name to Ahmad Brooks, well then, he'd be a lock to be on the team.

Cheers.

No one is dissmissing his productivity. We are just saying, unlike Ahmad Brooks, Battle is in a long list of receivers in contention for playing time. This is what you fail to understand about Brooks and Battle comparison. One is in a position where "better" players keep getting brought in year after year where the other has no one to compete against.

Since Brooks virtually has no one to compete against for a backup spot, odds are he makes the team over Battle.

Battle was learning his first two years but you still fail to recall that Battle was hurt his 1st or second year. He has only 2 full seasons out of 6: that's Jonas territory.

I think he's a damn good receiver and our second best but I'm a realist and his affect on the team is not reliable because he's consistently banged up more than he has been healthy.

I can argue that we should've kept Jonas because, when he's on the field, he's our best tackle, but...you know the drill.

And the WR position is not exactly "battling in the trenches" either. Most WR's that are injured so often during their 1st half of their careers don't even get half as many chances as Battle does. For a guy that seems to always have some kind of nagging injury issue, what makes these pro-Battle guys think his injury issues will get better?

I honestly think his allegiance is due to a subconscious liking to his last name. If his last name was not Battle (no wonder so many people think he's a warrior), then we probably wouldn't even be discussing this topic.
[ Edited by kronik on May 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM ]
Battle was money on 3rd downs last year for you like 3 people in this thread who actually watched 49ers games last year....
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by carl:
Battle is Captain 3rd Down Conversion.
  • weikit168
  • Info N/A
No no no, don't cut Battle. If anyone deserves to get a look at being cut it should be Jason Hill or Dominique Ziegler.

When are we going to stop looking at "potential" and look at results? Battle's been money for the past three years.

Remember what happened when we decided to cut Jeff Garcia cause he wasn't the flashiest guy?

Jason Hill vs. Arnaz Battle is sort of like Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill. On one hand you've got a guy who's been money every time he's on the field, but maybe he's not the prettiest or doesn't have the most "potential." On the other hand you've got someone who's got the physical abilities, and has shined in very few situations, but has more "upside." Who do we want? Hell, I say win now and go with the guys who produce.

Arnaz Battle all day.
  • Faithful6
  • Info N/A
I answered YES because there is no point in cutting him now. He has EARNED the right with his play and effort to compete for a roster spot. If he can't cut it in camp competition then by all means let him go. But he's earned the right to have a shot at making the team.
Still no reply:

Cheers.

Doesnt it seem like we go through this debate every year??? And every year, Battle makes the team and turns out to be one of the more valuable and clutch receivers on the squad... And now with Singletary's offensive tendencies, you can pretty much assure yourself that he is going to want a receiver who blocks as well as battle on the team to serve as an example.

Not to mention the fact that he still profiles as the most effective slot receiver due to his hands, quickness, and run after the catch ability - well 2nd most effective with Crabtree now on the team... Oh yea, and BTW - Im willing to bet that if Jones, Morgan, and Crabs turn out to be our top 3 WRs on the depth chart, it will be Crabtree in the slot when we go three wide, for the reasons I just mentioned.

lol @ the responses
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by ezrider:
No. Bruce is Captain 3rd down conversion. Battle is Captain Insignificant.

Ziegler is Captain Can't Block and very likely will not make the team

battle has dropped 1 pass in his entire career nuff said

Originally posted by buck:
quote From Maddog

Quote:

So, Battle, a player who only plays about a half a season and leads the team in stats gets MD's bonfied sticker but Shaun Hill, who has also proven almost the same thing gets crap?

As "we" do with Battle, MD, you are doing with our QB situation. Of course, this is pending what you actually think about Shaun Hill because I have no idea. If you support him as you do Battle, then I stand corrected, but I have a feeling that you don't.

The difference is that Hill has a better chance to make the roster.

I like Shaun Hill a lot. He's been very good at lifting our team up at critical moments the last couple of years, and I would not dismiss his consistency and productivity. That is why I advocated to not draft a QB in this draft. Hill and Smith are enough for me right now.

We'll see how the Hill vs. Smith battle works out, but Hill has shown himself to be a gamer, in the same vein as Battle.
The difference is that Battle has very little chance to make this roster.
MadDog49er ------ I am happy to see to see that you have A. Battles back again by pointing out Battles productivity until his injury. It would be nice if only some poster could acknowledge just some of what he has done for the team when we were very weak at WR and then just let the competition play out in camp. Every year the competition at WR goes up and Battle has surprized ------ this year the competition bar has been raised again , it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Share 49ersWebzone