LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 146 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Still no reply:

I don't know MD. It looks good the way you explain it but in 6 years as a pro, he has never started all 16 games.

Only two years has he started 15 games out of the 6 years. In those 2 years of starting 15 games, he still hasn't broken the 700 yard mark.

Here's how bad our receiving corp has been. In those 2 "full" Arnaz seasons, he hasn't even broken 59 catches.

I would feel the same as you if our receiving depth was crap as it has been in the past few years, but Bruce jumped on and immediately surpassed Battle with 61 catches and over 700 yards. Now, even Bruce has competition in some up and coming receivers.

I don't see Battle here very long.
Need an option saying "It depends."
i could see battle staying with us.. he's been a productive receiver for us when healthy, and we're not saving any $$$ by cutting him.. he'll be a productive rotational receiver (6th)
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by King49er:
Battle was money on 3rd downs last year

Agreed. LOL @ Anyone wanting to cut Battle and then saying Ahmed Brooks is a future player in this league when he hasn't done s**t.

LOL @ you. We're pretty deep at Wr and we're very thin at OLB. What the hell does Brooks have to do with Battle?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Need an option saying "It depends."

Yeah it's not as black and white as everyone is making it.
  • young49ersp
  • Info N/A
I forgot where I read it a few years back but it said that the receiving corps would be at its best when battle was the worst of all our receivers.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
What does he provide? He has been hurt a lot, but keeping him on the roster keeps guys like Hill and Ziegler on the sideline. I am not saying either is going to be great, but at least they have some upside. Battle used to be the 3rd down sure hands guys, well I think Bruce takes care of that plus way more.

I like him, he has been one of the few bright spots on this team the few year but he gives us nothing really.

Last year with the first year he had any significant injuries in any NFL season. Prior to '08, he had appeared in 32 consecutive games. His ability and experience won't hamper any of the youth on the team. On the contrary, his leadership will provide the team with experience should a receiver go down with an injury.

I am undecided. I respect his guts, commitment and ST abilities. But as the roster fleshes out, particularly at receiver, I am unconvinced. You say that his ability and experience will not hamper any of the youth on the team and this is, of course, true. But he will take a roster spot which could be used for a young and developing player. Zeigler springs to mind, possibly.

Here are a few stats:

In 6 years he has never started all 16 games. He has started 38 games out of a total of 96. His best figures for yardage/season was 686. His average per season is around 350. These figures have to be balanced, of course, by the fact that it took a couple of seasons to change his position. Even so .....

Fortunately, my opinion on the subject will have no impact on what actually happens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Zeigler??? Really? He will take Zeigler's spot? Good riddance then.

In three years Zeigler has not cracked the starting lineup ONCE.

Not because the spot was GIVEN to Battle but because Battle OWNED it.

Why don't he have a thread saying that Zeigler should be cut? He's a young guy he can bounce back IF he is as good as people keep pedaling around on this board.

If Zeigler cannot take the spot away from Battle then why is that Battle's fault?

Some here say they don't get the love for Battle.

I don't get this love for Zeigler who has never shown anything in the 3 years he's been here.

*Sheesus*

~Ceadder

Ceadder, do you read the emails you emote at? I said Zeigler springs to mind, possibly. Nothing more.

And you boil over. Well, our opinion on Battle differs. Sue me. Last time I checked, people were entitled to their opinions

First Eng, they are posts. Given that this is a post board and not an email site. Okay?

Secondly I'm sorry that you were the recipient of my ire. It was not directed at you but at all the others who just blatantly throw out names of players who have done nothing to warrant the cut of a solid player. I'm not saying and have NEVER said that Battle should not be cut. But I have to see a damn good reason for the cut. Zeigler has done nothing to show the Coaches that Battle needs to go. I would even say that if he showed them this, Battle would have been gone before OTAs'.

But that's just me. I know I woulda been gone if I were Battle.

Anyway sorry to boil over on you but that's what happens when someone throws the sacrificial blond into the volcano. It erupts.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Still no reply:

I don't know MD. It looks good the way you explain it but in 6 years as a pro, he has never started all 16 games.

Only two years has he started 15 games out of the 6 years. In those 2 years of starting 15 games, he still hasn't broken the 700 yard mark.

Here's how bad our receiving corp has been. In those 2 "full" Arnaz seasons, he hasn't even broken 59 catches.

I would feel the same as you if our receiving depth was crap as it has been in the past few years, but Bruce jumped on and immediately surpassed Battle with 61 catches and over 700 yards. Now, even Bruce has competition in some up and coming receivers.

I don't see Battle here very long.

First, Battle was transitioning to the game in his first two years. He then started to settle into the starters role.

Who cares if he started 15 or 16 games? You raised the issue over health, and I have stated that his string of 40+ consecutive games played does not show a pattern of injuries which some claim.

As for the 59 catches, you do remember our vaunted passing attack the past couple years, correct? It was really bad, if my memory recalls. And, although his numbers seem small compared to other top receivers around the league, they were still better than other Niners receivers. So, be nice and give the guy some credit, eh?

As for Bruce surpassing Battle with 61 catches, let me ask this question: Who had more catches through 8 games last season? Battle. Who was the backup, and still had the most catches? Battle.

I'm not claiming that Battle will make this roster. Maybe father time will catch up to him. But to dismiss his productivity and consistency in previous years would be folly, and to automatically dismiss the possibility that he could be the top receiver after 8 games this year is also silly. He has proven nearly everyone wrong so far in his career: Transition from WR to QB, starting as a WR, leading the team in statistics. I wouldn't dismiss this guy for one minute.

Now, if we could only change his name to Ahmad Brooks, well then, he'd be a lock to be on the team.

Cheers.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 4, 2009 at 5:41 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
If Alex Smith wins the Qb comeptition then Battle should be kept on. Also with Hill and Morgan and maybe Crabtree all with injuries than we may need the depth
I have an idea. Cut all the receivers and start Ahmad Brooks and Thomas Clayton at WR. That would solve all our problems.

Originally posted by ezrider:
No. Bruce is Captain 3rd down conversion. Battle is Captain Insignificant.

Ziegler is Captain Can't Block and very likely will not make the team

battle has dropped 1 pass in his entire career nuff said
Originally posted by carl:
Battle is Captain 3rd Down Conversion.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by carl:
Battle is Captain 3rd Down Conversion.
When this team was quitting during its 8 game losing streak, Battle was one of the few that still played hard every play. We need more players like him. If he can play special teams, give him a chance.
Wow...you guys are talking about Battle like he's a pro bowler....I mean he's been a solid contributer but give me a freakin break...yeah he was the best receiver on the team at one point in time because our other recievers sucked.....I mean is it really hard to out perform Brandon Lloyd, Cedrick Wilson, Ashly Lelie...?? the only qaulity reciever we had was A. Bryant and he only lasted one season.....

When he gets cut are you guys still going to be fans of the Niners?? Just curious. I mean obviously you guys know more than the coaching staff right...he's so valuable that we drafted Crabtree in the first round....signed Bruce last year and signed Jones this year...That sounds like he's really has the confidence of his coaches...
[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on May 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone