There are 246 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
What does he provide? He has been hurt a lot, but keeping him on the roster keeps guys like Hill and Ziegler on the sideline. I am not saying either is going to be great, but at least they have some upside. Battle used to be the 3rd down sure hands guys, well I think Bruce takes care of that plus way more.

I like him, he has been one of the few bright spots on this team the few year but he gives us nothing really.

Last year with the first year he had any significant injuries in any NFL season. Prior to '08, he had appeared in 32 consecutive games. His ability and experience won't hamper any of the youth on the team. On the contrary, his leadership will provide the team with experience should a receiver go down with an injury.

I am undecided. I respect his guts, commitment and ST abilities. But as the roster fleshes out, particularly at receiver, I am unconvinced. You say that his ability and experience will not hamper any of the youth on the team and this is, of course, true. But he will take a roster spot which could be used for a young and developing player. Zeigler springs to mind, possibly.

Here are a few stats:

In 6 years he has never started all 16 games. He has started 38 games out of a total of 96. His best figures for yardage/season was 686. His average per season is around 350. These figures have to be balanced, of course, by the fact that it took a couple of seasons to change his position. Even so .....

Fortunately, my opinion on the subject will have no impact on what actually happens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Zeigler??? Really? He will take Zeigler's spot? Good riddance then.

In three years Zeigler has not cracked the starting lineup ONCE.

Not because the spot was GIVEN to Battle but because Battle OWNED it.

Why don't he have a thread saying that Zeigler should be cut? He's a young guy he can bounce back IF he is as good as people keep pedaling around on this board.

If Zeigler cannot take the spot away from Battle then why is that Battle's fault?

Some here say they don't get the love for Battle.

I don't get this love for Zeigler who has never shown anything in the 3 years he's been here.

*Sheesus*

~Ceadder

It's been a few posts on here that I agree with, but I had tor espond to this one. I don't get the love for Zeigler either. He's shown some potential, but this potential has amounted to about 9 or 10 catches if that many. We shouldn't be handing over Battle's spot, who has been the most reliable receiver we've had for years, to some kid who barely has enough career catches that would equal to one good game.

If Zeigler proves to be clearly superior to Battle, then go for it. However I'm all for keeping Battle, because of his reliability as the 5th receiver and sticking Zeigler on the practice squad if he is eligible. If someone else signs him, oh well. It's not like we are short on young, talented and potentially good/great receivers. EVERY receiver on our roster fits that description with the exception of Battle and Bruce.

With the talk of some fans, you'd think that Zeigler was going to rise like a phoenix and become the next Jerry Rice.
What does he provide? He has been hurt a lot, but keeping him on the roster keeps guys like Hill and Ziegler on the sideline. I am not saying either is going to be great, but at least they have some upside. Battle used to be the 3rd down sure hands guys, well I think Bruce takes care of that plus way more.

I like him, he has been one of the few bright spots on this team the few year but he gives us nothing really.

Last year with the first year he had any significant injuries in any NFL season. Prior to '08, he had appeared in 32 consecutive games. His ability and experience won't hamper any of the youth on the team. On the contrary, his leadership will provide the team with experience should a receiver go down with an injury.

I am undecided. I respect his guts, commitment and ST abilities. But as the roster fleshes out, particularly at receiver, I am unconvinced. You say that his ability and experience will not hamper any of the youth on the team and this is, of course, true. But he will take a roster spot which could be used for a young and developing player. Zeigler springs to mind, possibly.

Here are a few stats:

In 6 years he has never started all 16 games. He has started 38 games out of a total of 96. His best figures for yardage/season was 686. His average per season is around 350. These figures have to be balanced, of course, by the fact that it took a couple of seasons to change his position. Even so .....

Fortunately, my opinion on the subject will have no impact on what actually happens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Why don't he have a thread saying that Zeigler should be cut? He's a young guy he can bounce back IF he is as good as people keep pedaling around on this board.

If Zeigler cannot take the spot away from Battle then why is that Battle's fault?

I don't get this love for Zeigler who has never shown anything in the 3 years he's been here.

*Sheesus*

~Ceadder

Ceadder, do you read the emails you emote at? I said Zeigler springs to mind, possibly. Nothing more.

And you boil over. Well, our opinion on Battle differs. Sue me. Last time I checked, people were entitled to their opinions
Let's settle this. Both Battle and Zeigler will be cut. End of story.
Yeah, let's cut our leading receiver after 8 games last season (in a non-starting role), before he went down with his injury. Let's cut the most consistent receiver over the past 3 years.

Haven't we already gone down this road about 500 times?

I think the better question is:
"Is Jason Hill really worth a roster spot at this point?" The guy was the number 4 WR on our roster last year, and now we've added two more guys in Jones and Crabtree.

Before Battle's injury, he had a 40+ game consecutive streak going. Injuries happen. It is part of the game.

In other words, a person would have to be foolish to dump Battle at this point. And he's proven a lot of people to be fools over the past three seasons. Let's let this play out.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yeah, let's cut our leading receiver after 8 games last season (in a non-starting role), before he went down with his injury. Let's cut the most consistent receiver over the past 3 years.

Haven't we already gone down this road about 500 times?

I think the better question is:
"Is Jason Hill really worth a roster spot at this point?" The guy was the number 4 WR on our roster last year, and now we've added two more guys in Jones and Crabtree.

A final note: Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough? Every summer, since 2006, people have been calling for Battle to be cut. And every year, he makes a fool out of these people.

And, yet, on another thread, the most useless player in recent Niners history, Ahmad Brooks, who has done nothing for this team, is lavished with praise.

All I can do is bang my head on the wall a few more times.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 4, 2009 at 2:19 PM ]
A final note: Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough? Every summer, since 2006, people have been calling for Battle to be cut. And every year, he makes a fool out of these people.

And, yet, on another thread, the most useless player in recent Niners history, Ahmad Brooks, who has done nothing for this team, is lavished with praise.

That's not true. Every year, he doesn't get cut and does exactly what we predicted he would do: get injured and not be a very effective factor on the offense. I think the only year he has done anything was just before he got a contract extension: hmm, sounds like he's dogging it the other years.
Originally posted by Joecool:

That's not true. Every year, he doesn't get cut and does exactly what we predicted he would do: get injured and not be a very effective factor on the offense. I think the only year he has done anything was just before he got a contract extension: hmm, sounds like he's dogging it the other years.

Now, Joe, you know I like you, but that is seriously the dumbest thing you have ever written. I say this with a smile on my face. Come on, brother.

Battle was injury free in the last portion of 2005, all of 2006, all of 2007, and half way through 2008. He sits out some practice sessions in camp, but when the game is on, he's in the game. And he produces.

Battle had more receptions than any WR last season until he was injured mid-way through the season, he led the team in receptions in 2007, and was the most consistent receiver in 2006.

As for the dogging it, you will probably be the only person in the planet to buy into that statement. That claim is flat out crazy.

My brother, please go back to review his stats over the years (games played, catches, etc.). I know you will recant your statements.

Here are a few stats:

*Sheesus*

~Ceadder

Totally agree. If he stays healthy though. I've always thought that if he could have been healthy all these years he would have developed into a Hienz Ward type receiver.
Battle was money on 3rd downs last year

Originally posted by Joecool:

Now, Joe, you know I like you, but that is seriously the dumbest thing you have ever written. I say this with a smile on my face. Come on, brother.

Battle was injury free in the last portion of 2005, all of 2006, all of 2007, and half way through 2008. He sits out some practice sessions in camp, but when the game is on, he's in the game. And he produces.

Battle had more receptions than any WR last season until he was injured mid-way through the season, he led the team in receptions in 2007, and was the most consistent receiver in 2006.

As for the dogging it, you will probably be the only person in the planet to buy into that statement. That claim is flat out crazy.

My brother, please go back to review his stats over the years (games played, catches, etc.). I know you will recant your statements.

I don't know MD. It looks good the way you explain it but in 6 years as a pro, he has never started all 16 games.

Only two years has he started 15 games out of the 6 years. In those 2 years of starting 15 games, he still hasn't broken the 700 yard mark.

Here's how bad our receiving corp has been. In those 2 "full" Arnaz seasons, he hasn't even broken 59 catches.

I would feel the same as you if our receiving depth was crap as it has been in the past few years, but Bruce jumped on and immediately surpassed Battle with 61 catches and over 700 yards. Now, even Bruce has competition in some up and coming receivers.

I don't see Battle here very long.
Originally posted by King49er:

Agreed. LOL @ Anyone wanting to cut Battle and then saying Ahmed Brooks is a future player in this league when he hasn't done s**t.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

Why? The thread is more than valid.

And it was also valid the last 5-10 times. No need to create a whole new thread for a subject that already has so many.

I must have missed it. So, there IS another thread talking about how BATTLE is expendable? I don't mean a different thread asking which receiver should be dumped and Battle is mentioned, I mean a thread specifically about Arnaz Battle being the one that should go. Link me, if you would.

The one that our thread is now part of...
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by King49er:

Agreed. LOL @ Anyone wanting to cut Battle and then saying Ahmed Brooks is a future player in this league when he hasn't done s**t.

thats because half of these guys don't have a clue what they're talking about.talking out they're asses,I bet half of them don't even watch the games....
I predict the Niners carry 6 WRs this year and Battle will be one of them. Bruce, Crabtree and Morgan are obvious locks. Hill and Jones are young WRs with upside and should absolutely be kept. And Battle will also be kept. He's the type of player Singletary wants on his squad. The guy does all the dirty work. He's not flashy, but he gets open and makes plays to keep the chains moving. He blocks and is a solid ST guy. Plus, with Bruce likely done within a couple years, we'll need Battle's veteran presence going forward. Once Bruce retires we'll probably carry only 5 WRs, but until then it's 6 barring injury.
Share 49ersWebzone