There are 146 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can't wait for training camp to start so we can get this settled already
"Word out of San Fran is that everyone inside the building is pulling for quarterback Alex Smith to win the starting job in camp. Publicly, it’s being called an open competition, but a source close to the Niners told us that he believes Smith will win the job.

But Smith will still have to hold off Shaun Hill throughout August in what should be his last chance as a starter in the league -- and most likely his last chance to show 49ers management that he’s part of their future plans."

http://www.nfpost.com/Weekend-Notes-Whats-Cribbs-Worth.html

[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Jul 26, 2009 at 18:51:08 ]
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
"Word out of San Fran is that everyone inside the building is pulling for quarterback Alex Smith to win the starting job in camp. Publicly, it’s being called an open competition, but a source close to the Niners told us that he believes Smith will win the job.

But Smith will still have to hold off Shaun Hill throughout August in what should be his last chance as a starter in the league -- and most likely his last chance to show 49ers management that he’s part of their future plans."

http://www.nfpost.com/Weekend-Notes-Whats-Cribbs-Worth.html

"I'm guessing Bowen means the 49ers' front office, and in particular GM Scot McCloughan, who, after all, drafted Smith No. 1 overall in 2005.

Even if that were the case - and McCloughan will tell you with a straight face he's Even Steven on this issue - I doubt it will have any impact on who wins the job. To his credit, McCloughan has left the who-starts-who-sits issues to his coaches. If he didn't, J.T. O'Sullivan wouldn't have been the starter last season"

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/07/niners-qb-situa.html?mi_rss=49ers%20Blog%20and%20Q%26A

Fact is nobody knows right now and its all speculation. I can't wait to see how this all unfolds...
I sure am excited to see how this turns out!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
I sure am excited to see how this turns out!

Anxious is the word I'm looking for.....
Quote:
Can Alex Smith unseat Shaun Hill as the team's starting quarterback?
The 49ers' quarterback competition was expected to be a mere formality, but Smith's stellar play during offseason workouts has turned up the heat on the battle. The former No. 1 overall pick has impressed team officials with the improved accuracy and touch that he has displayed in team drills. Moreover, Smith has earned high marks for his improved huddle presence and leadership skills. While Hill still holds the lead in the competition due to his superb game management and leadership skills, Smith's physical tools rank superior and his enriched intangibles could create a dilemma in Mike Singletary's decision making process.

49ers Training Camp (NFL.com)

[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 27, 2009 at 09:19:35 ]
Quote:
The 49ers' quarterback competition was expected to be a mere formality, but Smith's stellar play during offseason workouts has turned up the heat on the battle. The former No. 1 overall pick has impressed team officials with the improved accuracy and touch that he has displayed in team drills. Moreover, Smith has earned high marks for his improved huddle presence and leadership skills. While Hill still holds the lead in the competition due to his superb game management and leadership skills, Smith's physical tools rank superior and his enriched intangibles could create a dilemma in Mike Singletary's decision making process.

Too bad the pockets are always perfect in practice.
too bad the front office has it's own agenda insted of being fair and let the chips fall were they may . this is going to be like the last three to 4 years some one start other than Hill falters and then the let him finish the season and build our hopes up ! I am sick and tired of this s**t !
...and that makes 1000.

Go Alex! Go Shaun! Go Nate!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Quote:

Precisely. It's amazing how everyone gets worked up over a guy throwing passes with "zip" and "accuracy" when there's no pass rush and they're not even wearing pads. Happy feet, indecision and passes sailing 20 yards over receiver's heads will soon re-emerge

alex smith is a bust
Quote:

Too bad you wouldnt be saying this if it was Hill instead of Smith. All of you would be clamoring in support of Hill.

Seriously, I want Hill to start but the one thing that annoys me more than anything on this forum is the ridiculous double standards. When Smith does something good..its "Oh but its really this..." When Shaun does well..."Seeee see see he's amazing."

Why is it so hard to just give credit where credit is due?

IF Hill was reported to be doing extremely well, would you have made this comment? Answer honestly. I doubt it.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:

Too bad you wouldnt be saying this if it was Hill instead of Smith. All of you would be clamoring in support of Hill.

Seriously, I want Hill to start but the one thing that annoys me more than anything on this forum is the ridiculous double standards. When Smith does something good..its "Oh but its really this..." When Shaun does well..."Seeee see see he's amazing."

IF Hill was reported to be doing extremely well, would you have made this comment? Answer honestly. I doubt it.

Really? I'd almost swear it's the opposite... Anyways we both agree that there is a double standard amongst several posters on here...
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:

Really? I'd almost swear it's the opposite... Anyways we both agree that there is a double standard amongst several posters on here...

I don't really care who performs better in practice. Let's see what both of these guys do against a live team and a pocket that will not be comfortable 90% of the time.
Unless Hill craps the bed in preseason or Smith lights it up, i don't see Hill being unseated.

Smith is the challenger and the onus is all on him.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone