There are 245 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Some people are honestly blinded by a victory against the Jets because he hasn't beat another good team and I'll once again beat your personal opinion with "actual facts"

When they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271223025

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

So once again show me the facts. I'm tired of people defending their opinions with more..opinions. You can't deny the facts and read above for any information your brain won't accept. This year will be decided based on who's performing better THIS YEAR. So far that is Smith as he has played good both games rather then just one.

ok here are more facts.... Alex against the Raiders had a 4.2 QB rating....what do you have to say about that? what more excuses....

you are defending a lost cause....some of you blind Alex homers know Shaun will be the starter.....even if they play "even" against the Cowboys or if Alex out plays Hill again with a 4.2 QB rating

all you folks have is hope....hope that Shaun will struggle in the regular season and that Alex will come in and look spectacular.......again

like Hasselback said on National TV...on ESPN today, Alex is lucky to even be in a competition and the only reason he is, is because of the money lost on this kid.

any other QB would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago......injury or not.

Shaun hill got us a field goal from inside the 10 yard line. Great drive, got sacked, nothing new as we were the most sacked team in the NFL last year right? should have been picked off but Morgan saved him. Sorry Hill sucks get off his jog strap rook

yeah because Shaun is the one who got sacked the most last year right....hahaha what ever dude...

and you call me a rook....haha... I got alot of names I can call you....but I'd just be wasting my time.......you'll just change your name on here in a couple of months to Alexsux or KillwithHill or some other bandwagon BS.

again 4.2 rating

oh one more fact....in Alex's "breakout" season in 06..... he had a QB rating of 27.4 () in game against KC......we got BLOWN out 41-0 by the Chiefs....

led by...as some fearful Alex homers call him, a garbage QB.....that man named Damon Huard with a 133.3 QB rating.......who should be out backup QB for our starter Shaun Hill.

with Nate Davis at 3rd string......it would all be best for the team....and that is what is important......if you're a 9er fan................imo.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM ]
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
I think Hill and Smith have been pretty even thus far. A lot of people say that means Hill should be the starter. I really don't know. I hope the 49ers are taking everything into account. If Hill has a slight edge over Alex, is it really worth starting him, considering that Alex is younger and has much, much more upside? I, too, can't wait until they finally reach a decision.

not to mention that it seems that Alex progressed from the Denver game to the Oakland one....should this progression continue...then Sing gonna wait till the season opener...
I think Hill and Smith have been pretty even thus far. A lot of people say that means Hill should be the starter. I really don't know. I hope the 49ers are taking everything into account. If Hill has a slight edge over Alex, is it really worth starting him, considering that Alex is younger and has much, much more upside? I, too, can't wait until they finally reach a decision.

I can't wait until this franchise acquires someone who knows how to judge QB's, and heck maybe even develop one.

Until that day my friends, losing seasons is what we will continue to endure.

Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill....tells me the Yorks just aren't trying.....surprise surprise
This thread is stupid and I dont know why I read it anymore
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:

I can't wait until this franchise acquires someone who knows how to judge QB's, and heck maybe even develop one.

Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill....tells me the Yorks just aren't trying.....surprise surprise

Shoulda' taken Aaron Rodgers. Oh well. Wonder if anyone good is coming out next year. We have 2 1st rounders we could get our QB and pass rusher.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Shoulda' taken Aaron Rodgers. Oh well. Wonder if anyone good is coming out next year. We have 2 1st rounders we could get our QB and pass rusher.

Disagree...he woulda gone through the same BS. He has it better with the Packers handling (Aaron's) development. Sat him behind Farve awhile will learning 1 single system.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nes49:

Disagree...he woulda gone through the same BS. He has it better with the Packers handling (Aaron's) development. Sat him behind Farve awhile will learning 1 single system.

That might be true. I just think overall Rodgers seems more polished than Smith. Rodgers seems to have more poise. I don't know if that has to do with the Packers or not, but still, I see your point. Maybe if Smith went to GB he'd be tearing it up right now, too.
Who has put the ball in the endzone? They both had the ball from inside the 10 who got the 6 on the board? Thats basically where the facts lie. Sadly thats about it since both quarterbacks have basically sucked all preseason lol. I'm not defending Smith trust me it's just Hill isn't any better and people seem to believe he is this god given saviour. Sorry but he's chunky, throws like a girl, and gets sacked more then Smith does. You are in denial if you think Smith hasn't outplayed him in the first 2 games. It's close, sadly the comparison isn't who has been better. It's who hasn't been worse!

I can't read any of your posts with any credibility. You name stats and numbers as to why Hill shouldn't be the choice and the fact that he played against "scrub" teams. We put in a third string QB who had NEVER started a game before that year only to put points on the board and get us the win. What more do you want?! You call him chunky and throws like a girl. WOW! Do you want a QB that has Terrell Owens' physique and throws a bomb like Jamarcus Russell?! It DOESN'T MATTER if he doesn't have a cannon arm as long as he hits his receivers. You say he was sacked more times than Smith. Can you give me a source because I can't find one. The Monday Night game against the Cards, he scrambled for his life because of our inept O-Line and nearly got us the victory. And place the blame on Martz's offense for those sacks. He played well in Martz's offense despite not being the type of QB to take over that kind of offense. Stop thinking so hard about how he looks physically and look at how he plays. He takes command, he reads the defense pretty well, and he's accurate. Im not an Alex hater, but I think Hill should start.
[ Edited by SF69ers on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM ]
Some people are honestly blinded by a victory against the Jets because he hasn't beat another good team and I'll once again beat your personal opinion with "actual facts"

When they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

So once again show me the facts. I'm tired of people defending their opinions with more..opinions. You can't deny the facts and read above for any information your brain won't accept. This year will be decided based on who's performing better THIS YEAR. So far that is Smith as he has played good both games rather then just one.

ok here are more facts.... Alex against the Raiders had a 4.2 QB rating....what do you have to say about that? what more excuses....

you are defending a lost cause....some of you blind Alex homers know Shaun will be the starter.....even if they play "even" against the Cowboys or if Alex out plays Hill again with a 4.2 QB rating

all you folks have is hope....hope that Shaun will struggle in the regular season and that Alex will come in and look spectacular.......again

like Hasselback said on National TV...on ESPN today, Alex is lucky to even be in a competition and the only reason he is, is because of the money lost on this kid.

any other QB would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago......injury or not.

are u just looking at stats or did u acually watch the f**king game if you watched then u wouldve realized that they were 3 dropped passes 1 for an int for all we know if davis bruce and morgan did not drop the ball he couldve got a tds on those drives maybe if you had an iq big eough to form your own opinion you would realize that
Alex played well and even looked off defenders saturday. Will elaborate later when I have time.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

are u just looking at stats or did u acually watch the f**king game if you watched then u wouldve realized that they were 3 dropped passes 1 for an int for all we know if davis bruce and morgan did not drop the ball he couldve got a tds on those drives maybe if you had an iq big eough to form your own opinion you would realize that

Does anyone really care what Hasselbeck has to say? I don't (unless we trade for him).

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda! I do agree with the second part of your comment though. We could get a good QB and Pass Rusher in round 1.

No. What you do is improve your team in all other aspects and get out of the first few picks zone. QB's drafted in the middle of the 1st round usually fare much better.

1. The team that drafts them already have some things in place
2. The talent and upside is there, but without the pressure of having everything placed squarely on your shoulders

Back in March 05, the next QB that I was excited about was Cutler, but even I would have passed on him until the Niners were decent.

IMHO, The Jets and Sanchez is how I would run a rebuild. They have a young emerging oline and defense, now Sanchez can actually learn something this year and not run around with his head cut off

and I like how Parcells is running the Dolphins rebuild too.
[ Edited by danimal on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

look 49ersalldaway126....don't take it personal....that reply was not to you or others on the board....it was specifically to Trash88......and he has no answer for it....so lets just let it go.
  • B650
  • Veteran

No. What you do is improve your team in all other aspects and get out of the first few picks zone. QB's drafted in the middle of the 1st round usually fare much better.

1. The team that drafts them already have some things in place
2. The talent and upside is there, but without the pressure of having everything placed squarely on your shoulders

Back in March 05, the next QB that I was excited about was Cutler, but even I would have passed on him until the Niners were decent.

IMHO, The Jets and Sanchez is how I would run a rebuild. They have a young emerging oline and defense, now Sanchez can actually learn something this year and not run around with his head cut off

and I like how Parcells is running the Dolphins rebuild too.

I don't see many glaring weaknesses besides pass rush and QB. Are you saying we shouldn't draft at those spots that early? Maybe I'm wrong, but most NFL teams seem to be pretty even with the exception of 2 or 3 stars that make the difference. There's a lot of parity going on. Besides, we could end up drafting pretty late in the 1st round, we'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone