LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Some people are honestly blinded by a victory against the Jets because he hasn't beat another good team and I'll once again beat your personal opinion with "actual facts"

When they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271223025

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

So once again show me the facts. I'm tired of people defending their opinions with more..opinions. You can't deny the facts and read above for any information your brain won't accept. This year will be decided based on who's performing better THIS YEAR. So far that is Smith as he has played good both games rather then just one.

The thing is, they're comparing him to Alex Smith. So beating up scrubs is not a given and seems like an accomplishment. If Smith could only revert to 2006-form...
Originally posted by Esco:
God I can't wait for this to be over with

cosigned.
Some people are honestly blinded by a victory against the Jets because he hasn't beat another good team and I'll once again beat your personal opinion with "actual facts"

When they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

So once again show me the facts. I'm tired of people defending their opinions with more..opinions. You can't deny the facts and read above for any information your brain won't accept. This year will be decided based on who's performing better THIS YEAR. So far that is Smith as he has played good both games rather then just one.

On what "facts" do you base these statements on?
Who has put the ball in the endzone? They both had the ball from inside the 10 who got the 6 on the board? Thats basically where the facts lie. Sadly thats about it since both quarterbacks have basically sucked all preseason lol. I'm not defending Smith trust me it's just Hill isn't any better and people seem to believe he is this god given saviour. Sorry but he's chunky, throws like a girl, and gets sacked more then Smith does. You are in denial if you think Smith hasn't outplayed him in the first 2 games. It's close, sadly the comparison isn't who has been better. It's who hasn't been worse!
Who has put the ball in the endzone? They both had the ball from inside the 10 who got the 6 on the board? Thats basically where the facts lie. Sadly thats about it since both quarterbacks have basically sucked all preseason lol. I'm not defending Smith trust me it's just Hill isn't any better and people seem to believe he is this god given saviour. Sorry but he's chunky, throws like a girl, and gets sacked more then Smith does. You are in denial if you think Smith hasn't outplayed him in the first 2 games. It's close, sadly the comparison isn't who has been better. It's who hasn't been worse!

That's what I've been trying to say in my posts. You haven't been listening.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoFD74:

That's what I've been trying to say in my posts. You haven't been listening.

People like Hill for 2 reasons.

A)He turns the ball over less than O' Sullivan.
B)He wins more than Smith.

Basically, it's the lesser of 3 evils.
For the record I'm new on these forums and I'm a Niner homer. I don't defend individual players I judge them based on how they perform and I will battle with people on these forums with unil reality sets in I look forward to the daily wars, the daily celebrations when we win games, the daily tears when we lose lol I love this sport and I love this team and although we all fight EVERY SINGLE DAY about anything related to our team. We all know we all put it away every Sunday, we're a family, the niner family and we stick together on the weekends ;) GO NINERS enjoy your night ladies and gentleman it's been a pleasure having our minds tested and pride jolted. I'm going to grab some dinner cya!

If this is how your comparing the QBs then Nate Davis should be our starter. Preseason means nothing!
Last second message for GoFD74 before I leave. Sorry! LoL I see how we agree now although sadly it's about the abysmal QB play we have...hopefully this week shows differently have a great night

ok here are more facts.... Alex against the Raiders had a 4.2 QB rating....what do you have to say about that? what more excuses....

you are defending a lost cause....some of you blind Alex homers know Shaun will be the starter.....even if they play "even" against the Cowboys or if Alex out plays Hill again with a 4.2 QB rating

all you folks have is hope....hope that Shaun will struggle in the regular season and that Alex will come in and look spectacular.......again

like Hasselback said on National TV...on ESPN today, Alex is lucky to even be in a competition and the only reason he is, is because of the money lost on this kid.

any other QB would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago......injury or not.

Originally posted by dwy621:

If this is how your comparing the QBs then Nate Davis should be our starter. Preseason means nothing!

Preseason is showing who's gonna win the spot this year. Not sure if you're really watching football but Singletary has clearly stated it's an even match, as in who ever performs better in the PRESEASON between those TWO will get the spot. So ya preseason means EVERYTHING to Smith and Hill.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

ok here are more facts.... Alex against the Raiders had a 4.2 QB rating....what do you have to say about that? what more excuses....

you are defending a lost cause....some of you blind Alex homers know Shaun will be the starter.....even if they play "even" against the Cowboys or if Alex out plays Hill again with a 4.2 QB rating

all you folks have is hope....hope that Shaun will struggle in the regular season and that Alex will come in and look spectacular.......again

like Hasselback said on National TV...on ESPN today, Alex is lucky to even be in a competition and the only reason he is, is because of the money lost on this kid.

any other QB would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago......injury or not.

Shaun hill got us a field goal from inside the 10 yard line. Great drive, got sacked, nothing new as we were the most sacked team in the NFL last year right? should have been picked off but Morgan saved him. Sorry Hill sucks get off his jog strap rook
Here are more facts:

~Hill has been able to put together two long scoring drives (both FGs)
~Against Denver (11 plays, 7:07 off the clock, 2-2 passing for 41 yards)
~Against Oakland (13 plays, 6:06 off the clock, 3-7 passing for 20 yards)
~Smith had the luxury of his one and only scoring drive starting on his 3 yard line and it was all of one play
~Other than that, Smith hasn't been able to sustain any drives longer than 8 plays in either game
[ Edited by GoFD74 on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM ]
Last second message for GoFD74 before I leave. Sorry! LoL I see how we agree now although sadly it's about the abysmal QB play we have...hopefully this week shows differently have a great night

It's been pretty bad from both Smith and Hill.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I think Hill and Smith have been pretty even thus far. A lot of people say that means Hill should be the starter. I really don't know. I hope the 49ers are taking everything into account. If Hill has a slight edge over Alex, is it really worth starting him, considering that Alex is younger and has much, much more upside? I, too, can't wait until they finally reach a decision.
Share 49ersWebzone