LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Winners:
I came on the boards today to talk about specific parts of the QB Competition (what happened last night, what will happen next week, etc), but the only thread you allow is a 202 page thread? HEY MODS, NO ONE HAS TIME TO READ THROUGH ALL THIS. Lumping all these threads into one is lame.

how many threads do you need to talk about what happened last night, what will happen next week?

Only two threads to talk about that. Don't throw them all into the same thread, it all gets jumbled and I have no idea what anyones said about it because I'm not going to read 200+ pages to find out.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I came on the boards today to talk about specific parts of the QB Competition (what happened last night, what will happen next week, etc), but the only thread you allow is a 202 page thread? HEY MODS, NO ONE HAS TIME TO READ THROUGH ALL THIS. Lumping all these threads into one is lame.

how many threads do you need to talk about what happened last night, what will happen next week?

Only two threads to talk about that. Don't throw them all into the same thread, it all gets jumbled and I have no idea what anyones said about it because I'm not going to read 200+ pages to find out.

Oh come on now, the next thing you know you're going to be saying that you have a life too.
I'm still partial to Hill, even though he had a mediocre night, but at least give credit to Smith. He had 3 very catchable balls dropped, showed toughness and relative calm in the pocket. He had a better night than stats reveal. He gained a little ground on Hill, but I think Hill will enter the saeson as a starter barring a complete meltdown.
Sing not ready to name starter after last night's game

per MM twitter
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Conejo:

per MM twitter

of course he aint ready. its hard to choose between 2 bums.
Last night's performance was abysmal by both Hill and Smith. If neither can step it up we will have a major problem to be a well rounded offense. We can run the ball but passing has become limited and that is not good in this league. Smith still holds the ball too long, underthrows, throws behind and off target, or tends to throw high and causes interceptions. The wounded ducks he was throwing out there was just horrible. Very discouraging in his 5th year.
I am hoping Hill just had an off night, but he did not look good. Davis is just too green. I don't know if Huard brings anything to the dance of not.
It will tougher in Dallas next Saturday, let's hope someone steps up?
Originally posted by rob28:
Originally posted by Conejo:

per MM twitter

of course he aint ready. its hard to choose between 2 bums.

Of the two "bums" Smith at least has been showing improvement so far. Hill looked to regress against the raiders last night, everything being equal, Hill probably gets the start, but if Smith continues to progress, I am all for the younger "bum" getting the call.
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Last night's performance was abysmal by both Hill and Smith.

Why do people say this? Serious question, as I have to wait till later to watch. As I understand it, if not for 3 dropped passes, Alex would have been 6/9 and who knows what more could have come from that. So... was he really that bad, or... ?

Last night's performance was abysmal by both Hill and Smith. If neither can step it up we will have a major problem to be a well rounded offense. We can run the ball but passing has become limited and that is not good in this league. Smith still holds the ball too long, underthrows, throws behind and off target, or tends to throw high and causes interceptions. The wounded ducks he was throwing out there was just horrible. Very discouraging in his 5th year.
I am hoping Hill just had an off night, but he did not look good. Davis is just too green. I don't know if Huard brings anything to the dance of not.

Smiths only wobbly pass was tipped at the line, three of those passes that were incomplete should have been caught by the receivers, including the interception that Morgan himself admitted he should have brought down. After watching the game again, I am comfortable saying that Smith looked more natural than Hill last night, which was unexpected to me.

next week crabtree will float down from the heavens against dallas and make all of our QB's look like All-Pros

in reality, i think they get a heavy dose of Gore and Coffee and a few passes sprinkled in there. the QB's looked bad, especially Hill. the rookies that played looked really good in this game. Coffee, McKillop, Davis and i think the safety from LSU (forget his name) looked pretty good too.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

next week crabtree will float down from the heavens against dallas and make all of our QB's look like All-Pros

in reality, i think they get a heavy dose of Gore and Coffee and a few passes sprinkled in there. the QB's looked bad, especially Hill. the rookies that played looked really good in this game. Coffee, McKillop, Davis and i think the safety from LSU (forget his name) looked pretty good too.

Curtis Taylor

Wow, I don't usually pay a whole lot of attention to this argument since I don't care who starts as long as we win, but I had to call you on this. Smith is hurt for almost two full years and you count that against him to bolster your argument. Come on, don't twist facts to fit your argument that only weakens your point. Realistically this would be his third year and coming off a major injury.
Also Hill is the one who throws wounded ducks which is why our receivers can catch them so easily. As long as that works I'am ok with Hill.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
I think Alex took a few steps forward....Although not resounding...he did some of the things that we wanted to C....Pocket Presents, Calm....pwning Greg Ellis. He showed SOME Improvement from the Bronco game....
Originally posted by Born49R:

Wow, I don't usually pay a whole lot of attention to this argument since I don't care who starts as long as we win, but I had to call you on this. Smith is hurt for almost two full years and you count that against him to bolster your argument. Come on, don't twist facts to fit your argument that only weakens your point. Realistically this would be his third year and coming off a major injury.
Also Hill is the one who throws wounded ducks which is why our receivers can catch them so easily. As long as that works I'am ok with Hill.

Disagree with you and Memphis, my perogative. Smith at 5 years should have a better mental grasp of the game and he doesn't. He takes too long on his reads and throws high or behind his receivers. You can have your opinion and I have mine. I am not a Smith hater nor a Hill fan, I just want someone to step up and play the position with consistency, not greatness, I will just settle for consistency, so far I don't see it? I hope one of them steps up next week, actually I hope both of them step up next week?
Originally posted by Born49R:

Disagree with you and Memphis, my perogative. Smith at 5 years should have a better mental grasp of the game and he doesn't. He takes too long on his reads and throws high or behind his receivers. You can have your opinion and I have mine. I am not a Smith hater nor a Hill fan, I just want someone to step up and play the position with consistency, not greatness, I will just settle for consistency, so far I don't see it? I hope one of them steps up next week, actually I hope both of them step up next week?

Smith has not played in over 18 months, and is showing progress. He only held the ball more than three seconds once or twice, he showed more pocket presence than last week and stepped up in the pocket to buy some time to make a throw. I am not a fan of one of these QB's over the other, I just want the team to win, but your critique of Smith is a little off.
Share 49ersWebzone