LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hopeforniners:
I believe A.Smith has proven that SF is not the place for him. I'm not even sure at this point he's better than D.Huard and should even be considered for the 2nd string position.
I actually believe that it might be worth cutting him and moving Davis to the 3rd string position so that he can atleast play with the scout team while working on his mechanics in preparation of potentially seeing more playing time in the future.
BTW - I'm not making these suggestions just by watching his latest game. I have seen enough of his
- lack of instincts
- holding the ball too long
- lack of accuracy in a game situation

On a side note, is Huard also better than Hill. I'm not sure about that - just wondering.

He won't be cut.

Sing gave him a shot to start so that he could shine, unfortunately even though he 'outperformed' Hill vs. the Raiders he hasn't shown enough to make a case for himself to get the starting nod going into the regular NFL season.

I don't want to overreact in the preseason, but If both QB's continue playing like that, we're in big trouble at the QB position.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by XrayEcho:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Wow... this post is stupid

Do you believe this post is stupid because you didn't post it or because you disagree with something or what?

Its stupid for several reasons. 1st, He played backups and scrubs... maybe if he threw for 200 yards and 2 TDs I would say give him a shot to start a preseason game, but he didnt, he went 6-11 for 60 yards and a TD.

2nd, who would give us a pass rusher better than what we already have for smith??? This isnt madden dude. Pass rushers are MONEY, Alex Smith is NOT money!

3rd, you are basing this off ONE preseason performance. Leave it to the coaching staff to pick the QB line-up. Basing decisions from the couch is useless.

I'm basing this off of many really bad games by Alex Smith not from one preseason game by a rookie.

which games hater when he was hurt right! yeah or rook season right. you make no sense!
I came on the boards today to talk about specific parts of the QB Competition (what happened last night, what will happen next week, etc), but the only thread you allow is a 202 page thread? HEY MODS, NO ONE HAS TIME TO READ THROUGH ALL THIS. Lumping all these threads into one is lame.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by erndoogie46:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Wow... this post is stupid

Do you believe this post is stupid because you didn't post it or because you disagree with something or what?

Its stupid for several reasons. 1st, He played backups and scrubs... maybe if he threw for 200 yards and 2 TDs I would say give him a shot to start a preseason game, but he didnt, he went 6-11 for 60 yards and a TD.

2nd, who would give us a pass rusher better than what we already have for smith??? This isnt madden dude. Pass rushers are MONEY, Alex Smith is NOT money!

3rd, you are basing this off ONE preseason performance. Leave it to the coaching staff to pick the QB line-up. Basing decisions from the couch is useless.

Dude, that's the whole point of this message board.

well... i mean these type of decisions. Preseason is difficult because CBS/FOX/NFL/ESPN only show 1/3 of whats really going on the field. You need tape...

Teasing. You're right, you can't make any snap decisions based on one good game played by Davis. That said, he did look good....probably to good now to try and put on the practice squad, but he's a long way off from being a legit #2 QB. On this we agree.

Agreed. Definitely a long way off from being a legit #2 QB. That's why Huard would be in good position behind the starter. Nate Davis should not waste needed opportunities by being 4th in line.

I'd like to see Davis play a few snaps with the 1st team merely to see how he handles it.

I'm no Smith fan, but I'd rather see him as the #2 than a journeyman like Huard (who at this stage of his career, is a #3 at best). I'd also like to see what Davis looks like with the first team, but that's not likely to happen.

I think they'll go with Hill, Smith and Davis (and keep Huard's phone number close in the event of an injury).

I agree here! I have been and will continue to root for A. Smith, but I am also rooting for S. Hill. I have seen very little of Davis (he looked pretty decent tonite though)!

I must say, however, the A. Smith Haters are WAAAYYYYY overboard. If anyone who watched the game tonight thinks that the INT was Smith's fault, they are, either, pure Alex Smith Haters, or just plain dumb.

Really, we have 2 QB's. Neither is Montana, Young, or Brodie. They are what they are, and that is what we have. There is a chance that our new guy, Davis, could be good in the future. There is also a chance that Hill or Smith could develop into a serviceable QB that is capable of running the offense. Why spend your time bashing these dudes? One or the other is going to be leading our team on offense.

Either be a fan or root for the silver and black!

most our experts like mb seems to agree with us and not the haters.... such as he looked good in the pocket... but people could have seen that if they actually watched the game.
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 23, 2009 at 11:10 AM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
It seems like whenever the d-line puts on pressure, Alex always runs to his right and throws the ball to the right sideline. I feel like he is ALWAYS doing this instead of stepping up in the pocket. What do you guys think?

he sidestepped in the pocket and remained calm.... he did ok. he ran to the side and threw the ball away twice when he was supposed to.
Originally posted by Winners:
I came on the boards today to talk about specific parts of the QB Competition (what happened last night, what will happen next week, etc), but the only thread you allow is a 202 page thread? HEY MODS, NO ONE HAS TIME TO READ THROUGH ALL THIS. Lumping all these threads into one is lame.

how many threads do you need to talk about what happened last night, what will happen next week?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I still don't understand why the 2 deep passes called in the 2nd qtr while Hill was back there, were for Battle and Robinson.....2 of our slower receivers...(they were, as expected, blanketed).....I can understand why Hill didn't really put the ball in play.

I'd like to respond to a couple of things I have read in the this thread.

Someone called that pass from Hill to Battle a dump off....here we go again it was not a dump off and it looked like the exact same play to Vernon the previous week....it seems to work for us...got us 15 yards on both occasions.

Shaun Hill did not look good. Morgan saved his arse on that one pass, like he saved Alex's the previous week. Hill just looked off....but that is what will be good about the regular season...He'll get to player with the starters and will have 4qtrs to play.

As far as Alex......He played better than last week....ummm, beside the first pass attempt which he held the ball too long....he seemed to make quick reads the rest of the way.....but his problem seems to be touch on certain passes. He just guns his passes off target....ideally, yes as PRO NFL WRs, they are expected to make those catches....but that is not the case most of the time in the real world. (or at least 49ers WRs world, haha)....

but it seems like he guns the passes because it takes him longer to read the defense and tries to makeup for it by gunning the ball....again, I know the WRs are expected to make those catches...but after awhile there are going to be alot of 9er fans who will turn on Alex as soon as Morgan or Vernon is injured trying to catch those "catchable" passes in traffic....Morgan could have got hurt on that one INT...he was very vulnerable to a nasty hit.

But either way, Alex found the open guy...which is what is important....he just needs to hit them on the #s if he wants to throw it that hard.

for those who feel Alex is not putting to much unnecessary power into his throws....I think a perfect example is that toss play to Glen Coffee in the 1st qtr. I don't know if anyone else noticed it but he almost tossed it pass Coffee because the tossed it too hard....it was unnecessary...but Coffee did a good job of adjusting.

If you feel I'm just BSing....I'll say this....if you expect our receivers to make all those catches from Alex then I got some bad news for you....its not going to happen....so what decision would you like.....Keep Alex and get rid of all of our receivers...and bring in some Pro Bowlers?.....or let Vernon, Morgan, etc say with us and let Alex spread his true talent with another team who can catch his passes.

ok seriously, Nate Davis showed how Alex should have done it tonight.....most of his passes had touch and were catchable......but the one pass in which he had to gun was to Walker in the endzone through traffic for the 2pt conversion....this pass, which much velocity, was right on the #s and Walker caught an important pass at a crucial time.

nate davis also showed hill how its done.... here is that double standard again. hill looked terrible. while alex showed to knock some rust off. coffee should have literally put hill on his back. any one have photoshop. alex got a few firsts with his arm. did hill? maybe 1
  • Blackgoat49ers5
  • Info N/A
damn our two qb's have NOODLE ARMS!!! and below average accuaracy! I would rather see that black qb start in the regualar season... at least he has a strong arm.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I believe A.Smith has proven that SF is not the place for him. I'm not even sure at this point he's better than D.Huard and should even be considered for the 2nd string position.
I actually believe that it might be worth cutting him and moving Davis to the 3rd string position so that he can atleast play with the scout team while working on his mechanics in preparation of potentially seeing more playing time in the future.
BTW - I'm not making these suggestions just by watching his latest game. I have seen enough of his
- lack of instincts

On a side note, is Huard also better than Hill. I'm not sure about that - just wondering.

go away newb..... hill played worse so is that a doubl standard. and an int does not mean worse. alex actually moved the chains. coffee moved the chains for hill

Liked the energy and attitude from Smith. Really think he should have been allowed to finish that drive at the start of the 2nd.

Overall, though, underwhelmed by both QB's.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Liked the energy and attitude from Smith. Really think he should have been allowed to finish that drive at the start of the 2nd.

Overall, though, underwhelmed by both QB's.

same here!!
Originally posted by fan49:
- lack of instincts

go away newb..... hill played worse so is that a doubl standard. and an int does not mean worse. alex actually moved the chains. coffee moved the chains for hill

He brings up a valid point. Smith does not perform. His passer rating? 4.6. You can have excuses for 60, 50, even 40 or 30, but when you can't accumulate a passer rating of 5 then you simply did not perform. This is not an isolated situation. Smith has simply not performed, and all Smith supporters point to is excuses for why. He played well against Seattle 3 years ago, we know, but outside of that, what has this guy done???
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Here's what Smith supporters don't get. It's not about fault when it comes to negative plays. Whether you're just not that good or you're just unlucky isn't relevant in the NFL...you .

Gonna have to just stop reading from there... it certainly does matter, or there never would have been a competition in the first place. Meaning that although Alex has had overall poor numbers, other adverse factors have been considered into why that is... not just the bottom line, end result type of thinking. The same does and should apply here.... will it? we'll see.

I know what you're saying, but you're missing my point. The NFL is a bottom-line/end result kind of world. As a QB, you either win or you get benched. As a coach, you either win or you get fired. As a GM, your team either wins or you find another job.

Now, as I said, the why's and how's do get factored in from an evaluation standpoint...of course. People don't just blindly lose their jobs without some consideration of the details. But at the end of the day, the results matter most in this league. Surely you know this.

Yes, I see now where you are coming from. Just don'tknow how I feel about it. Seems wrong for a QB to do what he needs to do, only to have horrid play around him ruin or negatively affect his future. Guess I'm hoping that his chances to start are not over because of these circumstances... and that the damn receivers will do their jobs for all QBs (not to say that they are deliberately dropping passes).

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL

my boy RAT MAN......UFL.....

sometimes you just have to accept things will not always go how you want them....even if you feel it is right.

Rattay still with the 9ers.
T.O. still with the 9ers.

and hell, if we HAD to draft a QB...... Rodgers with the 9ers.

I can make valid arguements using facts about each of these players, about why they should be on the 9ers.....but no matter what it just won't matter.....life is not fair.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 23, 2009 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by fan49:
- lack of instincts

He brings up a valid point. Smith does not perform. His passer rating? 4.6. You can have excuses for 60, 50, even 40 or 30, but when you can't accumulate a passer rating of 5 then you simply did not perform. This is not an isolated situation. Smith has simply not performed, and all Smith supporters point to is excuses for why. He played well against Seattle 3 years ago, we know, but outside of that, what has this guy done???

Did you not watch the game? Smith looked better than he did last week and better than Hill. Smith made his reads and delivered the ball to the right receivers, which is more than Hill did. His receivers dropped three passes that should have been caught, and he had two passed that were throw aways to avoid coverage sacks. You have a case of selective memory and do not even take into account how different this team is from the last time Smith played. If Hill doesn't improve his play from what he has shown this preseason,I would just as soon have Smith in there, at least he looks to be making progress and not regressing. Last night Oakland jumped on all the short stuff and Hill looked as bad as he has looked since last years St. Louis game where they did the same thing to him. Neither QB looked very good, but Hill definitely looked more like the guy that has been out of football for 18 months with a shoulder injury.
Share 49ersWebzone