LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Well i dont mind those that diss smith, but i mean i'm comparing seasons between smith's 06, and hill last year and Hill isnt running away by a landslide if your really comparing the two. and like cool said with scrambling, in no way can hill scramble like smith, just like some say hill's lack of arm strength is way overrated.

Now we have to be real. When we take the item as a whole some of hill's numbers would of been up there with smith had he played the entire season, some good, some bad.
Smith in 06, 16 games, 16 ints, , 10 fumbles, Hill in 08 thru 8 games, 8int's, 8 fumbles. So i mean it's not that much of a landslide in the turnover department.

Even certain individuals, for example, VD was used more and did almost in 10 games in 06 than he did in all of 08. In total points we ranked 24th in 06, and 22nd in 08. Our top receiver AB, in 06 played 14 games, for 733yards, 18.3 on avg, in 08, Bruce all 16 games, 835 yards, 13.7 on avg. 25 sacks for hill and 30 for o'sully in 08, alex in 06, 35 sacks. Not too mention if you look at the receivers from 06, and compare to 08, 08's group is much better skill wise, but as a whole the receivers in 06 put up better numbers in regards to total yards per man with much less talent. Some say that it was frank that did it all in 06, and i say this, in 06 he ran for 1695 yards, on 312 carries 8 td's, and avg of 5.4. In 08, he ran for 1036, 4.3 avg, 240 carries, 6tds. To this some say, yeah Gore carried the entire team on his back, if thats soo, then as i said, the group of recievers in 06 put up better numbers when comparing talent, than the group as a whole in 08. So as a result, the team did follow smith, he did have their backing, from the top all the way to the waterboy.

Just overall, Hill has done a good job, but in no way do you count out smith, because he did good in 06, started good in 07, done after 3 games. then 08 starts, and had he not re-injured again, we wouldnt even be talkin bout hill, cause smith would of been backup to JTO, and hill still 3rd. but no one wants to talk bout that. Then some jump on JTO's nuts and say he can get it done and is far better than smith, just not hill, when his 8td's, 11 ints, 11 fumbles, and 6 fumbles lost are worse in 8 games, than smith's entire 06 season. So i mean it's all about who we are talkin too.

Either way Hill and Smith both deserve an honest and open competition, and may the best man WIN, not get appointed.

How about TD's??? Didn't Shaun throw 12 TD's in 8 games to Alex's 16 in 16 games?

And what about attempts? Didn't Hill average 33 passes/game with 63% completions to Smiths 28 attempts for only 58% completions.

Any way you want to stack it; Hill's stats show us that he gives the Niners the best chance to win.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Well i dont mind those that diss smith, but i mean i'm comparing seasons between smith's 06, and hill last year and Hill isnt running away by a landslide if your really comparing the two. and like cool said with scrambling, in no way can hill scramble like smith, just like some say hill's lack of arm strength is way overrated.

Now we have to be real. When we take the item as a whole some of hill's numbers would of been up there with smith had he played the entire season, some good, some bad.
Smith in 06, 16 games, 16 ints, , 10 fumbles, Hill in 08 thru 8 games, 8int's, 8 fumbles. So i mean it's not that much of a landslide in the turnover department.

Even certain individuals, for example, VD was used more and did almost in 10 games in 06 than he did in all of 08. In total points we ranked 24th in 06, and 22nd in 08. Our top receiver AB, in 06 played 14 games, for 733yards, 18.3 on avg, in 08, Bruce all 16 games, 835 yards, 13.7 on avg. 25 sacks for hill and 30 for o'sully in 08, alex in 06, 35 sacks. Not too mention if you look at the receivers from 06, and compare to 08, 08's group is much better skill wise, but as a whole the receivers in 06 put up better numbers in regards to total yards per man with much less talent. Some say that it was frank that did it all in 06, and i say this, in 06 he ran for 1695 yards, on 312 carries 8 td's, and avg of 5.4. In 08, he ran for 1036, 4.3 avg, 240 carries, 6tds. To this some say, yeah Gore carried the entire team on his back, if thats soo, then as i said, the group of recievers in 06 put up better numbers when comparing talent, than the group as a whole in 08. So as a result, the team did follow smith, he did have their backing, from the top all the way to the waterboy.

Just overall, Hill has done a good job, but in no way do you count out smith, because he did good in 06, started good in 07, done after 3 games. then 08 starts, and had he not re-injured again, we wouldnt even be talkin bout hill, cause smith would of been backup to JTO, and hill still 3rd. but no one wants to talk bout that. Then some jump on JTO's nuts and say he can get it done and is far better than smith, just not hill, when his 8td's, 11 ints, 11 fumbles, and 6 fumbles lost are worse in 8 games, than smith's entire 06 season. So i mean it's all about who we are talkin too.

Either way Hill and Smith both deserve an honest and open competition, and may the best man WIN, not get appointed.

The bolded is all I care about... Last year, JTO was "appointed", and I am going to be sooo angry this year if one of them is just "given" the job...

I only care about what's best for the team and what's best for the team is that Alex Smith NOT start in games 1-4.

Hill won't look good in practice and Alex Smith will look very good. Hill will still win the starting job and Alexusers will claim sandal.

It is best for the team that Hill starts. If Smith starts and performs as he did in 2006 but weaker than Hill has shown as a starter, then we will forced to be stuck with Alex Smith when a player who has proven to be better on game days may be sitting on the bench. We will never know if Hill was just a late game wonder or a if his 8 game numbers would be doubled through a 16 game year.

If Hill starts and it shows that teams have adjusted and Hill can't handle it, then we can be 100% satisfied in Alex Smith knowing that he's the best we have and that he has a chance to get even better.

Yes but the most important stat that you are forgetting:

Hill: 7-3
Smith: Not even close.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Hill won't look good in practice and Alex Smith will look very good. Hill will still win the starting job and Alexusers will claim sandal.

LOL, I claim Flip-Flops!

[ Edited by D_Niner on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by D_Niner:

LOL, I claim Flip-Flops!

That gave me a good laugh for the day.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

LOL, I claim Flip-Flops!

That gave me a good laugh for the day.

Oh, and let's not forget 5-0 at home for Hill...

Oh, and let's not forget 5-0 at home for Hill...

He's IS our guy for Game 1.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

The bolded is all I care about... Last year, JTO was "appointed", and I am going to be sooo angry this year if one of them is just "given" the job...

I only care about what's best for the team and what's best for the team is that Alex Smith NOT start in games 1-4.

It is best for the team that Hill starts. If Smith starts and performs as he did in 2006 but weaker than Hill has shown as a starter, then we will forced to be stuck with Alex Smith when a player who has proven to be better on game days may be sitting on the bench. We will never know if Hill was just a late game wonder or a if his 8 game numbers would be doubled through a 16 game year.

If Hill starts and it shows that teams have adjusted and Hill can't handle it, then we can be 100% satisfied in Alex Smith knowing that he's the best we have and that he has a chance to get even better.

In other words we should pick up where we left off with Shaun Hill as the starter. For the record, I'm not in the "I'll take Hill over Smith anyday" category, but I do like what I've seen in Hill as a starter from last season and think we should continue to build on it.

If Smith is a gamer like he says he is with the confidence hes shown from his interviews, than he should have no problem beating out Damon Huard. Which I think should be the first step in competing as a starter.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

In other words we should pick up where we left off with Shaun Hill as the starter. For the record, I'm not in the "I'll take Hill over Smith anyday" category, but I do like what I've seen in Hill as a starter from last season and think we should continue to build on it.

If Smith is a gamer like he says he is with the confidence hes shown from his interviews, than he should have no problem beating out Damon Huard. Which I think should be the first step in competing as a starter.

Yes. I'm for Smith but I don't want to second guess another QB on our roster over Smith. If Smith starts, I want to be 100% for him and the only way I think fans could do that is if Hill falls on his face as a starter.

We must continue where we left off. There IS a thing as momentum from last year and we have yet to take full advantage of that be it a terrible new OC, a fixed QB competition, or what could be this year, an actual QB competition when the incumbent is far above .500 as a starter.

I don't understand why people think JTO was "appointed" the starter. He was CLEARLY the best QB in both TC and preseason. So fukkin what if he knew Martz's system better than Alexis or Shaun. Martz was our coordinator. That's kinda how it goes.

Nobody can honestly say that JTO didn't DESERVE to start the season.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I don't understand why people think JTO was "appointed" the starter. He was CLEARLY the best QB in both TC and preseason. So fukkin what if he knew Martz's system better than Alexis or Shaun. Martz was our coordinator. That's kinda how it goes.

Nobody can honestly say that JTO didn't DESERVE to start the season.

Yup, who would have thought he would fumble issues?
JTO performed better because he was the only one who had a full understanding of Martz' schemes. I read that he wasn't helpful to Hill and Smith either - he seemed to treat the knowledge as his personal advantage, which is what it was - he just evidently wasn't a team player. I thought he could have been very good with better protection, but I think teams learned how to play him - how to jump the outlet receiver because they noticed that when he went to the outlet, he would go quickly, sometimes without hardly looking. At least a few of his ints were passes thrown right to someone.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Wish TC would start already. All this talk is getting old....
I think we're gonna draft Sanchez and trade him.

I also think Smith will beat Hill in the competition.

Share 49ersWebzone