There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB Competition

Originally posted by Joecool:
Well, we have the Denver Broncos and the Mike Nolan defense in Preseason game 1. If Nolan scouts us the way he scouted a Seahawk team down to their 10th WR by judging them from what they did 2 years ago, then we may make him look stupid.

Either that or he's licking his chops to expose Alex Smith, which means, Shaun Hill should have a good game.

Or he could be lickin his chops because Hill's starting and he knows first hand that hills very limited, and he figures exactly what the rest of the league did towards the end of the last season with martz. That hill can play, but enough pressure and good secondary and he's non existent.
  • FrostyNZ
  • Info N/A
If your business hinges on the performance of one particular individual in your team and you recognise that person (Hill) has limitations (Not that Smith doesn't also) it makes sence then to open competition for the starting roll.

Smith must have negotiated the opportunity to compete with this contract.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Well, we have the Denver Broncos and the Mike Nolan defense in Preseason game 1. If Nolan scouts us the way he scouted a Seahawk team down to their 10th WR by judging them from what they did 2 years ago, then we may make him look stupid.

Either that or he's licking his chops to expose Alex Smith, which means, Shaun Hill should have a good game.

Or he could be lickin his chops because Hill's starting and he knows first hand that hills very limited, and he figures exactly what the rest of the league did towards the end of the last season with martz. That hill can play, but enough pressure and good secondary and he's non existent.

That could be, but too bad for Nolan, Hill has shown intangibles to do things at times when you think you have stopped his "limitations".

Seriously, what limitations does Hill have: not being able to zip a ball 30 yards on a rope? Yeah, do you actually think the OC is dumb enough to put Hill in a situation where every receiver is 30 yards away? Hill finds his guys, that's all that matters.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 6, 2009 at 9:22 AM ]

Do you guys really believe that coaches Game Plan for the first preseason game??? I'm sure they're more concerned with evaluating the talent on the team then making Smith or Hill look bad.
LET'S GO SHAUN HILL!!!!
Shaun Hill is much better than Smith at this point and should start at least the first 6 games. Only IF he bombs out, should he get replaced....by Huard. Smith needs to sit on his butt learning the offense for at least 1 year if not 2. We all know what his college coach said!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by danimal:
he is a 3rd tier QB...nothing more. Without a elite line, WR's and\or defense he won't be special. But yes, he is the best we have.

hands down wrong statement... ill give him best game manager so far... but nothing else tops smith..... in the talent area....

You know I sit back and watch this whole QB competition thread, and all I see is people claim that Smith is by far the most talented QB on the roster. But what I wanna know is, when is that talent gonna translate to the field??
he is a 3rd tier QB...nothing more. Without a elite line, WR's and\or defense he won't be special. But yes, he is the best we have.

hands down wrong statement... ill give him best game manager so far... but nothing else tops smith..... in the talent area....

you are high , i want some of what you been smoking !
Originally posted by cNiner:

you are high , i want some of what you been smoking !

Why does it seem like there's this weird thinking that Shaun Hill is immobile or something? The guys has shown much more mobility than Alex Smith in games. Smith has really only showed straight ahead speed and that's about it.

Shoot, JTO and Shaun Hill have shown more athletic ability when running the ball than Alex Smith has shown. They have shown to be or look quicker.
For those who don't know this, Jimmy Raye is an expert at calling the play action pass, especially on slants over the middle. Perfect for Shaun Hill. Not so good for Alex. It requires good timing and a quick release.
I feel this competition is best thing that can happen for Hill and Smith. I am still supportive of Smith, but I want to see the best guy earn the job and take us to the next level. As far as the question of Hills mobility, i can recall the Monday nighter vs. AZ and the Miami game, in which he toughed it out on some great runs; he'll do just fine for what we need... a balanced attack!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
he is a 3rd tier QB...nothing more. Without a elite line, WR's andor defense he won't be special. But yes, he is the best we have.

You know I sit back and watch this whole QB competition thread, and all I see is people claim that Smith is by far the most talented QB on the roster. But what I wanna know is, when is that talent gonna translate to the field??

Seriously. This b@stardization of the word "talent" is doing injustice to those who have ever been described as such.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Apr 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM ]
Who has shown more athletic ability in a game?

Alex Smith

Shaun Hill

I also will give Alex Smith the benefit of the doubt that his body was still very young and at about 25 or so is when you completely mature with your explosiveness and other physical traits. He may be much quicker this year, but so far, Hill has shown more athleticism in a game so I don't understand why one attribute (arm strength) can make one guy way more athletic than another.
Well i dont mind those that diss smith, but i mean i'm comparing seasons between smith's 06, and hill last year and Hill isnt running away by a landslide if your really comparing the two. and like cool said with scrambling, in no way can hill scramble like smith, just like some say hill's lack of arm strength is way overrated.

Now we have to be real. When we take the item as a whole some of hill's numbers would of been up there with smith had he played the entire season, some good, some bad.
Smith in 06, 16 games, 16 ints, , 10 fumbles, Hill in 08 thru 8 games, 8int's, 8 fumbles. So i mean it's not that much of a landslide in the turnover department.

Even certain individuals, for example, VD was used more and did almost in 10 games in 06 than he did in all of 08. In total points we ranked 24th in 06, and 22nd in 08. Our top receiver AB, in 06 played 14 games, for 733yards, 18.3 on avg, in 08, Bruce all 16 games, 835 yards, 13.7 on avg. 25 sacks for hill and 30 for o'sully in 08, alex in 06, 35 sacks. Not too mention if you look at the receivers from 06, and compare to 08, 08's group is much better skill wise, but as a whole the receivers in 06 put up better numbers in regards to total yards per man with much less talent. Some say that it was frank that did it all in 06, and i say this, in 06 he ran for 1695 yards, on 312 carries 8 td's, and avg of 5.4. In 08, he ran for 1036, 4.3 avg, 240 carries, 6tds. To this some say, yeah Gore carried the entire team on his back, if thats soo, then as i said, the group of recievers in 06 put up better numbers when comparing talent, than the group as a whole in 08. So as a result, the team did follow smith, he did have their backing, from the top all the way to the waterboy.

Just overall, Hill has done a good job, but in no way do you count out smith, because he did good in 06, started good in 07, done after 3 games. then 08 starts, and had he not re-injured again, we wouldnt even be talkin bout hill, cause smith would of been backup to JTO, and hill still 3rd. but no one wants to talk bout that. Then some jump on JTO's nuts and say he can get it done and is far better than smith, just not hill, when his 8td's, 11 ints, 11 fumbles, and 6 fumbles lost are worse in 8 games, than smith's entire 06 season. So i mean it's all about who we are talkin too.

Either way Hill and Smith both deserve an honest and open competition, and may the best man WIN, not get appointed.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM ]
Well i dont mind those that diss smith, but i mean i'm comparing seasons between smith's 06, and hill last year and Hill isnt running away by a landslide if your really comparing the two. and like cool said with scrambling, in no way can hill scramble like smith, just like some say hill's lack of arm strength is way overrated.

Now we have to be real. When we take the item as a whole some of hill's numbers would of been up there with smith had he played the entire season, some good, some bad.
Smith in 06, 16 games, 16 ints, , 10 fumbles, Hill in 08 thru 8 games, 8int's, 8 fumbles. So i mean it's not that much of a landslide in the turnover department.

Even certain individuals, for example, VD was used more and did almost in 10 games in 06 than he did in all of 08. In total points we ranked 24th in 06, and 22nd in 08. Our top receiver AB, in 06 played 14 games, for 733yards, 18.3 on avg, in 08, Bruce all 16 games, 835 yards, 13.7 on avg. 25 sacks for hill and 30 for o'sully in 08, alex in 06, 35 sacks. Not too mention if you look at the receivers from 06, and compare to 08, 08's group is much better skill wise, but as a whole the receivers in 06 put up better numbers in regards to total yards per man with much less talent. Some say that it was frank that did it all in 06, and i say this, in 06 he ran for 1695 yards, on 312 carries 8 td's, and avg of 5.4. In 08, he ran for 1036, 4.3 avg, 240 carries, 6tds. To this some say, yeah Gore carried the entire team on his back, if thats soo, then as i said, the group of recievers in 06 put up better numbers when comparing talent, than the group as a whole in 08. So as a result, the team did follow smith, he did have their backing, from the top all the way to the waterboy.

Just overall, Hill has done a good job, but in no way do you count out smith, because he did good in 06, started good in 07, done after 3 games. then 08 starts, and had he not re-injured again, we wouldnt even be talkin bout hill, cause smith would of been backup to JTO, and hill still 3rd. but no one wants to talk bout that. Then some jump on JTO's nuts and say he can get it done and is far better than smith, just not hill, when his 8td's, 11 ints, 11 fumbles, and 6 fumbles lost are worse in 8 games, than smith's entire 06 season. So i mean it's all about who we are talkin too.

Either way Hill and Smith both deserve an honest and open competition, and may the best man WIN, not get appointed.

The bolded is all I care about... Last year, JTO was "appointed", and I am going to be sooo angry this year if one of them is just "given" the job...