LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If so, than why the aversion to him starting on the Zone. Look, the guy's a gamer, makes good decisions, and wins games. Smith, on the other hand, has got all the physical tools but lacks the mind to do the job.

I've been trying to think of the negatives to Hill, and all I can really come up with is his lack of arm-strength, which, IMO is overrated; often, guys with top-flight arms make a ton of mistakes like Cutler or Favre by forcing too many throws.

With Hill's solid play, we almost made the playoffs last year; give Hill the entire year to prepare for the starting role with a better OL and we're a lock this year.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll take the proven entity (Hill) with limited arm-strength but good decision making over the unproven, stronger armed guy (Smith or potential rook) any day of the week.
1. Hill

2. Damon Huard

3. Alex Smith

Unless something crazy happens in the draft like a trade for Cutler or will pick Sanchez thats what our QB situation looks like.
  • yoyo49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49er4eva:
1. Hill

2. Damon Huard

3. Alex Smith

Unless something crazy happens in the draft like a trade for Cutler or will pick Sanchez thats what our QB situation looks like.

I'm sorry, I can easily see Hill winning the starting job, heck I expect it. But Smith being 3rd string is pure "Hate" and its unrealistic. Smith will be the backup if not the starter. Remember, its not what you think, its what Sing thinks and guess what, Sing likes Smith unlike you.

So I am going to be realistic and go by what this coaching staff will probably do and not what the haters on here would like to see done.

1. Hill (with a very short leash)
2. Smith
3. Huard
[ Edited by yoyo49 on Mar 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by yoyo49:
Originally posted by NinerNZ:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Never underestimate what desire and hard work can accomplish,given the opportunity.Smith growing into his role as the starting QB would be the best thing that could happen for this team,we need a good young QB,not a career back up running the offense.(For the record I like Hill and what he has done,but he is a short term fix at best.)I am hoping that Smith gets it together so we do not have to worry about the QB spot for a couple of more years at least.But no matter who is starting at QB for the Niners,I will be rooting for them with heart and soul,because that is what a true fan does.

I don't know where people get this in their head; but, it just makes no sense to me. You do not need to love every player that has ever put on a Niner Uni to be a "true fan".

Were you a "true fan" last year when JTO was throwing pick after pick, or were you calling for his head? How about Nolan when he refused to make the changes necessary to win? What about Hossler when he was clearly in over his head?..

Man, you've got a ways to go before you understand what it means to be a true Niner fan.
A true Niner fan does what . . . um . . . um . . . what some of us think a true Niner fan does!!
. . . Thank you!. . . no really, please . . . . . . enough . .Thank you !!

A true niner fan just wants the team to succeed and win regardless of who is playing QB. You don't have to "love" every player on the team but it works the other way around too. You don't have to "hate" other players either as long as the team wins.

Some people on this board would love to see Smith continue to fail miserably if he won the starting job just to be proven right about him.

Even if it is at the cost of losing games. they want to be able to say "I told you so."

I frankly don't care who wins the QB competition as long as the 49ers return to their winning ways.

And everybodies whinning and crying on who should be the starter is getting old. The coaches know Hill and Smith's track records. You guys aren't shedding any new light. There are no new revelations. Everything you guys have said they already know and guess what,

They are still going to have this QB competition.

So deal with it people!

Exactly.

All of above plus buying licensed team merchandise regularly, season tickets if capable. True fans ain't just talk, gotta put your money where your faith is.

Unlicensed merchandise DO NOT count.
1. Hill

2. Damon Huard

3. Alex Smith

Well, we have the Denver Broncos and the Mike Nolan defense in Preseason game 1. If Nolan scouts us the way he scouted a Seahawk team down to their 10th WR by judging them from what they did 2 years ago, then we may make him look stupid.

Either that or he's licking his chops to expose Alex Smith, which means, Shaun Hill should have a good game.
1. Hill

2. Damon Huard

3. Alex Smith

AS will probably be #2, since Huard is Jamie Martin of 09'. I honestly hope he is not even in the competition. What I really wonder is how the QB competition is taking into account of "actual play" or are they competing strictly from what they do in practice?
IMO Hill has done enough to be declared our starting signal caller for the 09 season. The guy is a leader and has proven he can run the offense. All of this crap about Hill and Alex Smith competing for the starting job is BS! Lets cut the nonsence and start him already, the team will be much more stable with an established leader instead of all this waivering back and forth between the two QB's. Also I hope we pass on Sanchez and use the pick to improve our offensive line.
I think we can win in the short term with Shaun. Beyond one or two years though I'm not sure. I think that is why Sanchez is appealing to some. He can use that year or two to develop further then take over.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
IMO Hill has done enough to be declared our starting signal caller for the 09 season. The guy is a leader and has proven he can run the offense. All of this crap about Hill and Alex Smith competing for the starting job is BS! Lets cut the nonsence and start him already, the team will be much more stable with an established leader instead of all this waivering back and forth between the two QB's. Also I hope we pass on Sanchez and use the pick to improve our offensive line.

Hill could be serviceable if the WR position upgrades, there's a decent back up for Gore and the O line is beefed up. Otherwise, no.

Let me be the first one to thank you, because what the webzone really needs is ANOTHER thread debating the merits of Shaun Hill and Alex Smith.
WoW. Another hill topic, and one not started by one of us Noobs. SHOCKING. LOL
he is a 3rd tier QB...nothing more. Without a elite line, WR's andor defense he won't be special. But yes, he is the best we have.
Originally posted by yoyo49:
1. Hill

2. Damon Huard

3. Alex Smith

I'm sorry, I can easily see Hill winning the starting job, heck I expect it. But Smith being 3rd string is pure "Hate" and its unrealistic. Smith will be the backup if not the starter. Remember, its not what you think, its what Sing thinks and guess what, Sing likes Smith unlike you.

So I am going to be realistic and go by what this coaching staff will probably do and not what the haters on here would like to see done.

1. Hill (with a very short leash)
2. Smith
3. Huard

Yeah I guess you are right. It would look bad PR wise to have this bust listed at #3 on the chart. So Smith will be #2. If Hill gets injured(God please no) He will get his chance and get supplanted by Damon Huard and drop to #3. How about that?

Everybody likes Alex Smith he is a really really nice guy.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
he is a 3rd tier QB...nothing more. Without a elite line, WR's andor defense he won't be special. But yes, he is the best we have.

hands down wrong statement... ill give him best game manager so far... but nothing else tops smith..... in the talent area....
Share 49ersWebzone