LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Did i just read in Barrow's blog that Huard was cut?

it was written in a strange way, but what he was saying is that Huard won't count as a free agent addition cause he was cut from KC.

he's still a niner, for better or worse.
[ Edited by pdxredandgold on Mar 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM ]
If there was one real NFL caliber starting QB on this team there would be no "QB Competition"
Doesnt the saying go "if you have 2 QB's, you really have no QB"?...or something like that
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
I personally want a competition at EVERY spot on the roster.
It's just that we all know that Willis will win his competition (for instance) and we all know who would start today at just about every spot.

So ,from what we KNOW right now,Hill IS the starter and from what we have seen over the years Hill should remain the starter over Smith ,unless Smith is a totally different QB when he comes back (which I hope he is and I hope he beats out Hill and takes the Niners to 10 straight SB wins etc etc ,but I won't hold my breath for any of that because I don't want to die until I get to see the Niners play well again ).

I'm good with that. I'm just tired of seeing all the Smith bashing. We all know the reasons Smith is where he is at.

I personally see no need to trash the guy for issues beyond his control. It's not like he is getting into trouble off the field and giving his coaching staff a headache with poor attitude on it.

~Ceadder

Well put.

I just want to see us succeed. I really could careless who wins the QB competition. I PREFER Smith because of his age and arm strength (compared to Hill) but whatever happens happens. With Smith, we'd have a QB for another 10 years...with Hill...we have a QB for MAYBE 5. And does anyone really believe Hill (not saying Smith would) will lead us to the promise land???

Lets put it this way...I dont think Smith is crappy enough to lead us to a total losing season BUT I dont think Hill's good enough to get us into the playoffs or past the 1st round at best.

They are basically one in the same to me. But again...I hope one of them proves me wrong. I hope its Smith but Hill does deserve the nod for the 2009 season. The guy played his heart out and won us games.

U & Me both faithful...plus, espn.com reports:

Quote:
Other teams had shown interest in Smith, who is only 24 years old and has four years of NFL experience. Those teams were willing to pay him more than his 49ers deal, according to a source, but Smith was insistent on making something work in San Francisco.

HE WANTS REDEMPTION! No amount of money can buy him that.

Never underestimate what desire and hard work can accomplish,given the opportunity.Smith growing into his role as the starting QB would be the best thing that could happen for this team,we need a good young QB,not a career back up running the offense.(For the record I like Hill and what he has done,but he is a short term fix at best.)I am hoping that Smith gets it together so we do not have to worry about the QB spot for a couple of more years at least.But no matter who is starting at QB for the Niners,I will be rooting for them with heart and soul,because that is what a true fan does.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Never underestimate what desire and hard work can accomplish,given the opportunity.Smith growing into his role as the starting QB would be the best thing that could happen for this team,we need a good young QB,not a career back up running the offense.(For the record I like Hill and what he has done,but he is a short term fix at best.)I am hoping that Smith gets it together so we do not have to worry about the QB spot for a couple of more years at least.But no matter who is starting at QB for the Niners,I will be rooting for them with heart and soul,because that is what a true fan does.

I don't know where people get this in their head; but, it just makes no sense to me. You do not need to love every player that has ever put on a Niner Uni to be a "true fan".

Were you a "true fan" last year when JTO was throwing pick after pick, or were you calling for his head? How about Nolan when he refused to make the changes necessary to win? What about Hossler when he was clearly in over his head?..
[ Edited by D_Niner on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM ]
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I don't know where people get this in their head; but, it just makes no sense to me. You do not need to love every player that has ever put on a Niner Uni to be a "true fan".

Were you a "true fan" last year when JTO was throwing pick after pick, or were you calling for his head? How about Nolan when he refused to make the changes necessary to win? What about Hossler when he was clearly in over his head?..

Man, you've got a ways to go before you understand what it means to be a true Niner fan.
A true Niner fan does what . . . um . . . um . . . what some of us think a true Niner fan does!!
. . . Thank you!. . . no really, please . . . . . . enough . .Thank you !!
Originally posted by NinerNZ:

Man, you've got a ways to go before you understand what it means to be a true Niner fan.
A true Niner fan does what . . . um . . . um . . . what some of us think a true Niner fan does!!

Umm... ok, you lost me... Are you calling me a dunce or Memphis?

If its me, then

If it's Memphis, then

Quote:
Doesnt the saying go "if you have 2 QB's, you really have no QB"?...or something like that

Sure . . . like Montana and Young; Van Brocklin and Waterfield; Unitas and Morrall, etc.
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:

Sure . . . like Montana and Young; Van Brocklin and Waterfield; Unitas and Morrall, etc.

LOL, Nice!
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A

Great point D_Niner !
I am a loyal Niner fan and always will be BUT I simply do not believe Alex is a very good QB or that he will ever be,because I have actually watched him on every snap he has ever taken and believe what my own eyes tell me (but I hope the best for him and hope a miracle turnaround happens for the kid).. My opinion about Alex is Alex's fault and not my fault as a fan. I simply tell it as I see it (my opinion).

What I object to are those that are known as FortyWhiners,who seem to have nothing good to say about their team . They seem to always be hating on their owner,GM,HC OC etc etc etc . When the team does things right there is usually silence but let the team do something that MIGHT turn out poorly and WOW,you would think the World was going to end ! These so called fans are usually weak minded people who let the media types ( Dickey,Barbieri,etc and other such negative based hacks)shape their opinions with the propaganda they spew out on a daily basis.

• Extreme
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:

There is no etc. Those 3 are the exceptions.
Originally posted by m04607:

I think Madden said that... and I can't say that I disagree!
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A

Umm... ok, you lost me... Are you calling me a dunce or Memphis?

If its me, then

If it's Memphis, then

I'm agreein' with you, big fella!! Totally!!!
IMO a true fan doesn't blindly pull for every mediocre player/coach currently on the team; a fan advocates any change necessary to IMPROVE the team.
[ Edited by NinerNZ on Mar 26, 2009 at 2:08 PM ]
  • yoyo49
  • Info N/A

A true niner fan just wants the team to succeed and win regardless of who is playing QB. You don't have to "love" every player on the team but it works the other way around too. You don't have to "hate" other players either as long as the team wins.

Some people on this board would love to see Smith continue to fail miserably if he won the starting job just to be proven right about him.

Even if it is at the cost of losing games. they want to be able to say "I told you so."

I frankly don't care who wins the QB competition as long as the 49ers return to their winning ways.

And everybodies whinning and crying on who should be the starter is getting old. The coaches know Hill and Smith's track records. You guys aren't shedding any new light. There are no new revelations. Everything you guys have said they already know and guess what,

They are still going to have this QB competition.

So deal with it people!

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by yoyo49:

A true niner fan just wants the team to succeed and win regardless of who is playing QB. You don't have to "love" every player on the team but it works the other way around too. You don't have to "hate" other players either as long as the team wins.

Some people on this board would love to see Smith continue to fail miserably if he won the starting job just to be proven right about him.

Even if it is at the cost of losing games. they want to be able to say "I told you so."

I frankly don't care who wins the QB competition as long as the 49ers return to their winning ways.

And everybodies whinning and crying on who should be the starter is getting old. The coaches know Hill and Smith's track records. You guys aren't shedding any new light. There are no new revelations. Everything you guys have said they already know and guess what,

They are still going to have this QB competition.

So deal with it people!

Exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone