LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 377 users in the forums

3-4 or 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here we go again....
  • B650
  • Veteran
I don't think Balmer and McDonald would work very well in a 4-3. Maybe if Lawson gained more weight he could fit at 1 DE spot, who knows?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
If we cant get any pass rush in a 3-4, lets say we switch to a 4-3. would this work:

justin smith and parys haralson at end, ray mcdonald and kentwan balmer at dt. im not sure if ray mac can even play 4-3 dt, but at 290 he seems big enough and hes quick. what do you guys think?

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
If we cant get any pass rush in a 3-4, lets say we switch to a 4-3. would this work: justin smith and parys haralson at end, ray mcdonald and kentwan balmer at dt. im not sure if ray mac can even play 4-3 dt, but at 290 he seems big enough and hes quick. what do you guys think?

lol it was just a thought and i missed this thread but it got merged anyway. thanks mods.

i dunno, maybe ray mac inside wouldnt work but i dont see how franklin or soap really fit in a 4-3 anyway. balmer was a 4-3 dt in college iirc also. i like the 3-4 but i kind of doubt we have the pass rushing olbs to do it.
Originally posted by B650:
I don't think Balmer and McDonald would work very well in a 4-3. Maybe if Lawson gained more weight he could fit at 1 DE spot, who knows?

This wouldn't have been a issue if we drafted a stud nt.
I think too many teams are running and drafting for the 3-4 now.
Personally, I've always preferred the 4-3, and I don't think we have the dominant NT to play the 3-4 properly, but I'll leave it up to the current regime.
Well to start off, I just wanted to toss the idea of what some would think its a good idea and some that wont agree. Well see what you "experts" out there say haha

Lets face it, our secondary/pass coverage this year has HURT us in our close losses the 49ers have had. Watched every niner game so far this season...Mays has been slightly above average,hes still young and has gotten beat more than a few times. Spencer and Clements IMO have played solid this year.

We have no pass rush! Lets face it, haralson and lawson have been inconsistant getting to the QB and they havent panned out as the sack racking machines we thought they be. The 3-4 has not panned out great for them.

Projected 4-3 Defense.

DL-Smith-Franklin(If Retained,if not than RJF)-Sopoaga-McDonald(Rookie/F/A?) .

Situational pass rushers would be Haralson and Brooks mostly in passing downs where they concentrate on simply going after the QB and can mixed on zone blitzes to drop back in coverage. Backup DT is RJF to rotate in. If Franklin isnt kept than RJF starts and McDonald/Rookie/F/A sub in.

I just think with a four man rush our pass rush would improve thus making the secondary better. Smith is more natural of a 4-3 end and our tackles would be better at playing a one on one matchup since theyre 1 gap linemen. Plus we all know McDonald has the motor to play as a 4-3 end.

LB Starters - Bowman/Brooks(Bowman played OLB in college),Willis,Lawson(IMO has the skills to play OLB in a 4-3 and would be great on blitzes were he can pick a blitz spot and shoot a gap with 4 bodies in front of him.

Finally our LB core will be solid and not have a weakness in coverage and getting to the qb when asked. Willis a lot of time due to the awesome 3-4 gets a 300 pound offensive lineman taking him out of the play. Now with 4 legitimate linemen in front of them they can take advantage of their athleticism.

To rest my case, unless Singletary takes us to the playoffs were bringing in a coach. If the coach does switch to a 4-3 defense with that lineup I think would be more beneficial and still leaving us to draft a stud DE and a CB to learn first while playing the nickel to be seasoned to eventually start with out first and second rounders.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM ]
justin smith is no 4-3 end!
he's a 4-3 dt.
He is not the dominating passrusher that you need in your end position.

If im not mistaken did he not(Justin Smith) play as a DE when he was on the Bungles? Plus I think he would be much more effective with 4 man DL&an occasional blitzer. I just think one of our 5 of rushers will definately win their matchup.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
he's a 4-3 dt.

He played end for the Bengals and played it well. They were playing 4-3 weren't they?

He is, what? 285? Too small for a tackle.
Originally posted by English:
he's a 4-3 dt.

He played end for the Bengals and played it well. They were playing 4-3 weren't they?

he's a far far far faaaaaaaaaaar more effective 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE ..

that 4-3 dline would be pitiful though .. i'd keep Franklin on the nose with RJF (Sopoaga would be cut because he blows) backing him up and Justin Smith and Ray McDonald would be the under tackle while Brooks Laboy and Haralson would probably be the undersized DEs who would get pushed around against the run and the linebackers would be Willis obviously in the middle Lawson on the strong side and probably Bowman on the weakside.

in otherwords.. I'd stick with the 3-4.
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
Originally posted by English:
he's a 4-3 dt.

he's a far far far faaaaaaaaaaar more effective 3-4 DE than 4-3 DE ..

that 4-3 dline would be pitiful though .. i'd keep Franklin on the nose with RJF (Sopoaga would be cut because he blows) backing him up and Justin Smith and Ray McDonald would be the under tackle while Brooks Laboy and Haralson would probably be the undersized DEs who would get pushed around against the run and the linebackers would be Willis obviously in the middle Lawson on the strong side and probably Bowman on the weakside.

in otherwords.. I'd stick with the 3-4.

why on earth...wtf...huh?

So your 4-3 would look like this

Laboy, Smith, Franklin, McDonald, Brooks

Last I checked that is more than 4 lineman. IF the 49ers went back to a 4-3 it would probably be similar to this

Clements----------------Smith, Franklin, RFJ(Soap), McDonald--------------Spencer
---------------------------Brooks ------------Willis----------------Lawson
--------------------------------------Mays-------------Goldson
Share 49ersWebzone