There are 309 users in the forums

3-4 or 4-3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:
To better understand the signing of Evans, you have to consider three things:

~configuration of most offenses
~how 3-4 defenses align to these configurations
~our current 3-4 DE talent (what they can do, and what they can't)

~Most offenses are set up with a quicker (and usually lighter) tackle on the left side, for the obvious purpose of being able to handle quicker pass rushers off the edge (and the blind side of most QBs). Being lighter, they don't always get the best push in the run game, so teams tend to run a little more to the right-side of their offense, where (typically) a more stout/stronger tackle sits.

~Since 3-4 defenses are short 1 person on the d-line, and most teams tend to run to the right-side of their offense the left defensive end in a 3-4 has to be a true anchor...someone who is stout enough to take on double-teams not get pushed around by the bigger right tackles (which is why you see guys like Richard Seymour, Chris Canty, Igor Olshansky, etc. on the left side of their defense).

~Balmer is the likely starter at LDE this year (with Smith and McDonald the likely rotation at RDE), and he definitely has the size (6'5", 315) and strength to be an anchor LDE in a 3-4. However, at this stage of his career, he hasn't shown the ability to provide much of a pass rush (neither did Soap last year, who essentially has the same skills as Balmer).

That's where Evans (6'4", 280ish) comes into play.

Balmer and Evans will play in a rotation, with KB on 1st/2nd downs, and Evans coming in on passing downs to provide a pass rush (much like the Patriots have used used Jarvis Green, who is essentially the same size as Evans). Now, we don't need a Julius Peppers-type of pass rush out of the 3-4 LDE (that's the OLB's role)...just someone strong enough to not get manhandled by the RT, yet who has enough moves to keep that RT occupied and the offense at lest respect what's happening on the front side.

That also explains why we didn't go after Olshansky (who is essentially a duplication of Balmer).

Makes perfect sense only problem is Evans isn't that good. I watched him a lot he seems to work hard but that's about it. He never gets the the qb and is easily stonewalled. I don't see Evans accomplishing what this defense needs. Green is a better player.

I wasn't trying to compare the quality of Green to Evans, only the type. Since Green isn't available, and we needed someone with that type of size/skill-set, I don't think Evans is a bad fit at all (nearly 40 tackles and 3.5 sacks for a LDE).

If we got those numbers from him, I'd be happy....especially if the OLB next to him had an even bigger year!
Originally posted by AmpLee:

~Most offenses are set up with a quicker (and usually lighter) tackle on the left side, for the obvious purpose of being able to handle quicker pass rushers off the edge (and the blind side of most QBs). Being lighter, they don't always get the best push in the run game, so teams tend to run a little more to the right-side of their offense, where (typically) a more stout/stronger tackle sits.

~Since 3-4 defenses are short 1 person on the d-line, and most teams tend to run to the right-side of their offense the left defensive end in a 3-4 has to be a true anchor...someone who is stout enough to take on double-teams not get pushed around by the bigger right tackles (which is why you see guys like Richard Seymour, Chris Canty, Igor Olshansky, etc. on the left side of their defense).

~Balmer is the likely starter at LDE this year (with Smith and McDonald the likely rotation at RDE), and he definitely has the size (6'5", 315) and strength to be an anchor LDE in a 3-4. However, at this stage of his career, he hasn't shown the ability to provide much of a pass rush (neither did Soap last year, who essentially has the same skills as Balmer).

Balmer and Evans will play in a rotation, with KB on 1st/2nd downs, and Evans coming in on passing downs to provide a pass rush (much like the Patriots have used used Jarvis Green, who is essentially the same size as Evans). Now, we don't need a Julius Peppers-type of pass rush out of the 3-4 LDE (that's the OLB's role)...just someone strong enough to not get manhandled by the RT, yet who has enough moves to keep that RT occupied and the offense at lest respect what's happening on the front side.

That also explains why we didn't go after Olshansky (who is essentially a duplication of Balmer).

Makes perfect sense only problem is Evans isn't that good. I watched him a lot he seems to work hard but that's about it. He never gets the the qb and is easily stonewalled. I don't see Evans accomplishing what this defense needs. Green is a better player.

I wasn't trying to compare the quality of Green to Evans, only the type. Since Green isn't available, and we needed someone with that type of size/skill-set, I don't think Evans is a bad fit at all (nearly 40 tackles and 3.5 sacks for a LDE).

If we got those numbers from him, I'd be happy....especially if the OLB next to him had an even bigger year!

So does this move put Soap back at NT in rotation with Franklin? Does this then mean we likely will not draft a NT or DE very high in the draft?

I would hope it allows us to use sopoaga in special situations rather than an every down player, which he is not. He has the quickness to play end but his height or lack of wing span hurts us as RBs run by him where longer players can use their reach to make the tackle. He has been solid for us when he is allowed to attack up field and create commotion.

Maybe i just don't see it hopefully i'm wrong but watching this guy on the skins the last 3/4 years he hasn't shown anything more than being a barely average player. But it was the Redskins one of the few teams with a worse pass rush than the niners.
Evans is essentially taking Ronald Field's place in the rotation. Kevin Lynch of the Chronicle claims Evans is an upgrade over fields. I remember watching Singletary trying to encourage Fields last year during our home game vs. STL because Fields was having a hard time figuring what to do on the field. So Evans might be an upgrade. Maybe he is just starting to peak, who knows?

Maybe i just don't see it hopefully i'm wrong but watching this guy on the skins the last 3/4 years he hasn't shown anything more than being a barely average player. But it was the Redskins one of the few teams with a worse pass rush than the niners.

Yah, Evans is obviously not a pass rushing monster. But in this defense and in that spot, he doesn't really have to be...he's not going to be judged on the amount of sacks he gets as much as how much pressure we're getting from that side of the defense when he's on the field. Even if he just flushes the QB out of the pocket, that's a win for a LDE in a 3-4.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

So does this move put Soap back at NT in rotation with Franklin? Does this then mean we likely will not draft a NT or DE very high in the draft?

Yah, I think the signing of Evans moves Soap back to a rotation role with Franklin at NT (though I don't know that for sure). It actually gives us some flexibility now, so instead of drafting specifically for a 3-4 DE or NT, we just grab a big body...someone like Myron Pryor, Terrance Taylor, Dorrell Scott, Terrance Knighton, Demonte' Bolden, etc., who could conceivably play both roles (in other words, just good d-line depth).
What is so good about the 3-4 as oppose to the 4-3? The only thing it does is disguise the 4th rusher. Why are our coaching staff seem to be so in love with the 3-4 when we have players to fit the 4-3 better. If we want to be a 3-4 team then why not get players that suits that defense by now? I think we might be better off with a 4-3 but then again our linebackers are pretty good with the 3-4.
The only comment i can make of this is when Nolan got the boot our D went from a hybrid 3-4 to a true 3-4 and our rankings went from somewhere in the range of

23 to like 13 in total Defense ( not for sure the exact rankings )

This is because Greg finally got contol over the Defense and it showed we were better off
Yeah, that's true. I forgot about that. So our 3-4 seems to be working now. I guess it's ok to stick with it.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersSF:
Yeah, that's true. I forgot about that. So our 3-4 seems to be working now. I guess it's ok to stick with it.

You're an easy sale.

Seriously though, I think the strength of our defense the last couple of years has been linebacker, so it only makes sense, unless we had some really good and physical DTs like Warren Sapp.

It's a little trickier to build a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. It take a little time. We gotta find our WILL and NT. That's about it.
Originally posted by Watchutalkinbout:
It's a little trickier to build a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. It take a little time. We gotta find our WILL and NT. That's about it.

and truthfully the NT is the most important. you can generate a rush with blitzes, but if you can't clog the middle none of that matters.
What is so good about the 3-4 as oppose to the 4-3? The only thing it does is disguise the 4th rusher. Why are our coaching staff seem to be so in love with the 3-4 when we have players to fit the 4-3 better. If we want to be a 3-4 team then why not get players that suits that defense by now? I think we might be better off with a 4-3 but then again our linebackers are pretty good with the 3-4.

The 3-4 does alot more than hide your fourth rusher it completely changes the responsibilties of your DL and LBs.
Originally posted by B650:

You're an easy sale.

Seriously though, I think the strength of our defense the last couple of years has been linebacker, so it only makes sense, unless we had some really good and physical DTs like Warren Sapp.

lol
Yeah, we need a dominating NT that can take on two, or even three blockers to free up Spikes and Willis, create one on one opportunites for the DEs and OLBs. Justin Smith can control his side of the Dline, but we need someone opposite of him to do the same.
Share 49ersWebzone