There are 214 users in the forums

Jonas Jennings @ RT in 09'???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
An old saying goes, "If you don't know what to do, then don't do anything".

I think that is the 49ers credo these days.
While this seems to be the place for frustrated comedians and wise guys, the fact is that Jonas Jennings is one of the top tackles in the NFL and better than anything they'll pick up at #10. He had a chronic problem with his shoulder that they say is now "healed". For a cut in pay and an incentive-laden contract, he would be the best man we could find to play the position.
Originally posted by ezrider:
While this seems to be the place for frustrated comedians and wise guys, the fact is that Jonas Jennings is one of the top tackles in the NFL and better than anything they'll pick up at #10. He had a chronic problem with his shoulder that they say is now "healed". For a cut in pay and an incentive-laden contract, he would be the best man we could find to play the position.

man what channel are you tuning into? Jennings is an average LT at best when healthy. He is a solid RT when healthy, but that doesn't really matter because he is never healthy.

You obviously don't know the first thing about the other 60 starting tackles in this league to make a statement about JJ being one of the top tackles.
Originally posted by ezrider:

I don't have an axe to grind with Jennings. But a chronic shoulder problem (that he had before even being a 49er) is now "healed"? The guy was damaged goods when they signed him as a free agent. Too much wishful thinking on the part of the 49ers imo.
I say we start him,draft someone who will be ready to take over in week 4 or 5 when he gets hurt.
Jonas Jennings is a big boy at 6'3" and approaching 330 pounds. He can move the pile and would easily be the best right tackle we have on the team.

He is YOUNG. Well, he is 31 but he has not had a beating from playing a lot of football.

I like that this is his contract year. I really like the idea that we restructure his contract and make certain we get VALUE for his spot. If he does that then I want him back and I am willing to give him another shot.
Originally posted by stodgman:
Jonas Jennings is a big boy at 6'3" and approaching 330 pounds. He can move the pile and would easily be the best right tackle we have on the team.

He is YOUNG. Well, he is 31 but he has not had a beating from playing a lot of football.

I like that this is his contract year. I really like the idea that we restructure his contract and make certain we get VALUE for his spot. If he does that then I want him back and I am willing to give him another shot.

100% agree. I still think we have to draft an OT with our top pick. If JJ is healthy let him start and when he goes down in the first play of the first quarter of the first game we'll plug in the new kid.
Per Mike Sando, I just asked about what the Niners are doing with Jonas in his chat. I asked if there was a possibility of the Niners keeping him for one more season to see if he can stay healthy. This was his answer.

Mike Sando:: (12:41 PM ET ) Jonas Jennings will not be back under his current contract. GM Scot McCloughan said there would be no rush in releasing him. Sounds like they are letting him get healthy. That could make it easier to release him from a liability standpoint. And if he really does bounce back well, perhaps the door would be open for him to return at a reduced rate. I do not know if that is a realistic option, though. The assumption has been that the 49ers would cut their losses and move on.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Per Mike Sando, I just asked about what the Niners are doing with Jonas in his chat. I asked if there was a possibility of the Niners keeping him for one more season to see if he can stay healthy. This was his answer.

Mike Sando:: (12:41 PM ET ) Jonas Jennings will not be back under his current contract. GM Scot McCloughan said there would be no rush in releasing him. Sounds like they are letting him get healthy. That could make it easier to release him from a liability standpoint. And if he really does bounce back well, perhaps the door would be open for him to return at a reduced rate. I do not know if that is a realistic option, though. The assumption has been that the 49ers would cut their losses and move on.

If this is true, it pretty much assures that their 1st rounder will be one of the tackles available.
Originally posted by BigMix:
As long as JJ gets that contract re-worked I'm all for him coming back. Staying healthy is always the major concern but maybe he was doing that to because of his beef with Nolan. Sing has a way with the players and hopefully can breath new life intoo JJ. It's alot to ask but i'd rather spend our 1rd pick on a pass rushing OLB or grab Mark Sanchez if available.

Bills fans were laughing at the contract we gave JJ and telling us how much we Niner fans would grow to hate his propensity for injury.

JJ doesn't stay healthy, as proven over his ENTIRE career. He played his most games in a season his 2nd year which was 15. JJ has played. The guys has played in LESS than 36% of the games possible since signing as a Niner, including 7 of the last 32.

Dude is total garbage, the definition of unreliability, and as I have said before, is the GIANT NEON billboard that proves Scott M is NOT an NFL calibre talent evaluator and has no business being our GM.

WINiner, I believe part of the thinking was that he'd be playing and practicing in a warmer climate and on grass instead of frozen turf. Taken with that grain of salt, it might have made sense.
First off, i love the restructure of his contract. He just didn't deserve the kind of money a guy on IR all the time should get. That said, if we do elect to keep him, "we've been there and done that". Our experience has not been good on the jj injury front. Best thing is to accept that, cut him loose, and draft OT, since we passed on the three decent ones in FA. Problem with keeping a jj is that if you keep him, you expect him to perform, albeit in spot appearances. Our experience has been that jj doesn't stay healthy. That is a trend. Acknowledge it, lick our wounds, and get on down the road. IF he stays and we need him, we already know odds are he will be hurt. That is a bad bet, and worse bad karma...not to mention stupid.

jj's past hx here. Pretty soon we'll be seeing him in the rear view mirror.
All this is pointless, Jennings will be gone once we get A. Smith
Roster positions are (or should be) precious. Having a question mark as big as JJ's health on the team is just not good business. The hesitancy to trade or release him could be an acknowledgment that they do not have anyone else…yet, or hoping someone will want to make a deal. The first is likely the second is really unlikely. JJ, when healthy, is a very good OT at either left or right, but just not dependable.
  • ZRF80
Share 49ersWebzone