LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Moran Norris, Irony, and NinerTalk

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I sinceerely apologize. At this time last year, I was too busy heading up the world's largest Zak Keasey thread. Sadly, it died and was locked after 45+ pages. Moran indeed still has some huge shoes to fill.
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Anyone that knows anything about football knew it was a dumb move,the guy was an integral part of the strength of our offense,and we cut him.I think Martz had alot to do with it,man I am so glad that jackass is gone.Also has anyone of the"we're f**ked without Martz guys noticed he STILL doesn't have a job?Where are all the guys that so vocally denounced the ending of that huge mistake?Now they are just whining about every move McSingletary makes,like they know more about football than a Hall of Famer.

I do see some irony here in the Moran signing.

Last year Moran signed with the Lions after they had fired Martz to go with a more ball control offense. This team was led by a defensive minded man, Rod Marinelli, that was not a coordinator, but a defensive line coach/assistant head coach in his previous position. This man was thought to be a motivator and a leader of men.

Flash to present day. Moran signs with the 49ers after deciding to fire martz and go with a more ball control offense. This team is led by a defensive minded man, Mike Singletary, that was not a coordinator, but a linebackers/assistant head coach in his previous position. This man is thought to be a motivator and a leader of men.

It gets scarier...

Singletary and Marinelli both shared the same vision of how to build a team...

Dedication...
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=471820

Trust...
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=471670

Toughness... Pounding the rock
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=471658

It gets scarier still...

Both of these head coaches hired coordinators that would implement their vision of offensive football...

Colletto’s plan is to implement a running game while weaving in play-action.

“The way we want to play and the way Rod wants to play is to control the clock,” said Colletto. “Not throw it all (the time), turn the ball over and have a lot of sacks. (We want to) be a solid running team.

“That doesn’t mean we’re going to run 70 runs a game. We’re going to have a good, sound passing game and we’ve got some quality wide receivers we’re going to use.”
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=470122&nsln=042408

It gets even more scarier...

In the last Martz year without Moran, the Lions went 7-9
In the last Martz year without Moran, the 49ers went 7-9

In the last Martz year without Moran, the Lions offense ranked 19th
In the last Martz year without Moran, the 49ers offense ranked 23rd

The year following the departure of Martz, the Lions offense with Moran ranked 30th
The year following the departure of Martz, the Lions with Moran went 0-16

Oh, the irony. We signed Moran in order to improve our team and get closer to the playoffs, but we really just copied the dreaded path of the infamous 0-16 Lions.

I'm scared. I'm really scared. We had better build the best defense of all time. That's all that can save us.

So what's the point you are trying to make?Here try this one on for size...

49ers record with JTO(Martz's "best qb I ever coached") 2-5

49ers record after Mike Singletary benched himr for Hill 5-4

49ers rushing attack 27th,unacceptable when you have a running back like Frank Gore.

49ers turnover ratio under Martz -17 (31st in the NFL)

Turnovers commited during the 7 game tenure of JTO(once again,Martz's best qb ever) 23

Turnovers commited during Shaun Hills 9 game tenure 17

Sacks allowed 55 (also 31st in the league,tied for team record)

There was more bad than good overall from Martz during his tenure and the teams record speaks for itself.If Singletary had not benched JTO,I bet we would have finished 4-12 at best.So focus only on the negative if you like,but then you are only seeing half of the picture.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Most of last year (with Martz not wanting a real FB on the roster) we couldn't even pick up a 1st down on 3rd and short or 4th and 1 by running the football.
We couldn't run out the clock with our inconsistent running game when we had the lead.

All Sing is saying is that his top priority is to change that. So of course he brings in the best blocking FB he could find in free agency. He might just pick one up in the draft also ?

What Sing has NEVER said is that he wants to be a running team and not a passing team.
As a matter of fact he and Raye have said over and over again that they want the Niners to be a balanced team that is almost 50-50 running and passing. Run first,to set up the pass,yes ! Run all the time and neglect the passing game,no,they have never said such a thing.

Sing is tired of being soft in the running game and has set out to change that. He wants to be able to pound the ball down the throats of the defense whenever he needs to use that option. We have not been able and one reason is that we did not have a FB on the team .

Sing is 100% right in what he seeks to do with the running game and fans should be happy he wants to get tough in the running game (I know Gore is very happy and so will be the WR's and TE's and the QB ,because the passing game will open up when the running game is working !).
Anyone that knows anything about football knew it was a dumb move,the guy was an integral part of the strength of our offense,and we cut him.I think Martz had alot to do with it,man I am so glad that jackass is gone.Also has anyone of the"we're f**ked without Martz guys noticed he STILL doesn't have a job?Where are all the guys that so vocally denounced the ending of that huge mistake?Now they are just whining about every move McSingletary makes,like they know more about football than a Hall of Famer.

Last year Moran signed with the Lions after they had fired Martz to go with a more ball control offense. This team was led by a defensive minded man, Rod Marinelli, that was not a coordinator, but a defensive line coach/assistant head coach in his previous position. This man was thought to be a motivator and a leader of men.

Flash to present day. Moran signs with the 49ers after deciding to fire martz and go with a more ball control offense. This team is led by a defensive minded man, Mike Singletary, that was not a coordinator, but a linebackers/assistant head coach in his previous position. This man is thought to be a motivator and a leader of men.

It gets scarier...

Dedication...

Trust...

It gets scarier still...

Both of these head coaches hired coordinators that would implement their vision of offensive football...

“The way we want to play and the way Rod wants to play is to control the clock,” said Colletto. “Not throw it all (the time), turn the ball over and have a lot of sacks. (We want to) be a solid running team.

“That doesn’t mean we’re going to run 70 runs a game. We’re going to have a good, sound passing game and we’ve got some quality wide receivers we’re going to use.”

The year following the departure of Martz, the Lions offense with Moran ranked 30th

Oh, the irony. We signed Moran in order to improve our team and get closer to the playoffs, but we really just copied the dreaded path of the infamous 0-16 Lions.

I'm scared. I'm really scared. We had better build the best defense of all time. That's all that can save us.

We still have the same damn team that went 5-3* under Sing...still have Shaun Hill who ISNT O'Smelling Salts...we got rid of Martz which is a good thing.

*i discount sing's first loss

[ Edited by WestCoast on Mar 9, 2009 at 14:41:10 ]
Originally posted by WestCoast:

It gets scarier...

Dedication...

Trust...

It gets scarier still...

We still have the same damn team that went 5-3* under Sing...still have Shaun Hill who ISNT O'Smelling Salts...we got rid of Martz which is a good thing.

*i discount sing's first loss

It's clear that we have hired the African American version of Rod Marinelli. Sing will struggle mightily.
It's clear that we have hired the African American version of Rod Marinelli. Sing will struggle mightily.

Let's see. Marinelli was 0-16 and Singletary was 5-3. I'm going to overlook the racial part of that because it's just ugly.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
WestCoast and Brodie : There you guys go again ... Talking sense and logic. That is like throwing red meat into the water for the haters to gather around ,lol

But keep it up you guys !
Originally posted by ritchie:

Mmmmmmmmmm..... cooooooooookies
wat i dont get is why sign morris and not weever he is young just as good and still is a free agent

[ Edited by montereyjack415 on Mar 9, 2009 at 19:49:21 ]

Originally posted by sireeznutz:
I sinceerely apologize. At this time last year, I was too busy heading up the world's largest Zak Keasey thread. Sadly, it died and was locked after 45+ pages. Moran indeed still has some huge shoes to fill.

That's cause you're amazing S-Nutz.
Originally posted by montereyjack415:
wat i dont get is why sign morris and not weever he is young just as good and still is a free agent

is he really just as good?

only games i saw him was against 49ers so I can't really judge
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I agree with the originator of this discussion. I find it very distasteful when fans kick players as they're going out the door. This is a brutal game and the players mostly leave it all on the field - I've always appreciated the dedication, discipline and talent of NFL players and I've always been grateful for the work they've done on the Niners even if they were not ultimately impact players. Moran Norris actually WAS an impact player. He's an absolutely punishing run blocker. I'm glad he's back and more importantly, Frank Gore's glad he's back.

BrodieFan you are my favorite poster. Thanks for speaking up on the board. Unfortunately it's like the old song. "When you're hot you're hot. When you're not you'r not." Until this team gets into the playoffs people are going to remain underappreciated. By the fans, the media, and the league alike.
The most recent example of this is Arizona's D. Their defense was openly mocked most of the year and held up as a liability. Next thing you know they put together a couple good games in the playoffs and everyone is falling all over themselves to talk about thier D-line.

Also to those that want to compare us to the Detroit Lions. I think we're better than that. I don't' see us going 0-for this year. We should improve our standing.
Although I welcome Norris, I want the Niners to have another back on the field with Gore, one that can not only block like Norris but run and catch the ball, like Rashad Jennings for instance. I want the Niners to have a two-back system like Wendell Tyler-Roger Craig or Roger Craig-Tom Rathman. Weapons.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Although I welcome Norris, I want the Niners to have another back on the field with Gore, one that can not only block like Norris but run and catch the ball, like Rashad Jennings for instance. I want the Niners to have a two-back system like Wendell Tyler-Roger Craig or Roger Craig-Tom Rathman. Weapons.

Moran Norris CAN catch the ball well. He was once a kick returner in the NFL for a brief stint.
Share 49ersWebzone