Shop Find 49ers gear online
What happened?

YORKIES.......

• Dino
  • Veteran
who?
  • tstyluv
  • Info N/A
We do have a few "if's" involved here such as,if the team drafts a qb (Josh Freeman:Kansas St) and Mike Johnson turns into a Flacco-type success,no one with be sick.Now if Raye makes Vernon Dvais realize his inner Tony Gonzales then everybody will be alright with that choice too........................................GO NINERS.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He was the upright running sprinter with all the gold medals in the 2000 Olympics, right?
the reaction to this thread is ridiculous, peolple in the zone are so quick to complain about everything, since you never heard of mike johnson he must suck and singeltary sucks and the owners suck their mothers suck for giving birth to them, we will never win another superbowl we won't win a game next year , i can go on for days with this. people in the "zone "are just never happy with anything unless it's a big splash and espn talks about . calm down
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thorobred:
the reaction to this thread is ridiculous, peolple in the zone are so quick to complain about everything, since you never heard of mike johnson he must suck and singeltary sucks and the owners suck their mothers suck for giving birth to them, we will never win another superbowl we won't win a game next year , i can go on for days with this. people in the "zone "are just never happy with anything unless it's a big splash and espn talks about . calm down

It's just frustration....I mean, the 9ers are making moves that don't seem to be the right choices for our team. I'm a lets see how this plays out kinda guy...but it just looks like we to some steps back.
http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches_detail.php?PRKey=95

Mike Johnson

Quarterbacks Coach

Johnson joins the 49ers after serving as the Baltimore Ravens wide receivers coach from 2006 to 2007. At Baltimore, he helped 12-year veteran receiver Derrick Mason record his then-sixth 1,000+-yard receiving season in 2007. Mason tallied 1,087 yards on 103 receptions with five touchdowns, leading the team in all receiving categories. A year prior, WR Mark Clayton developed into the Ravens top deep threat and playmaker, posting three touchdowns of 62 or more yards in 2006.

Prior to joining Baltimore, Johnson spent three years as the quarterbacks coach with the Atlanta Falcons, tutoring three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Michael Vick. Vick put up 2,412 passing yards and 15 touchdowns, while ranking second on the team with 597 rushing yards and six touchdowns. In 2004, Vick became the first NFL quarterback to throw for more than 250 yards and run for more than 100 yards in a single game (at Denver, 10-31-2004). In 2003, Interim Head Coach Wade Phillips asked Johnson to call the Falcons offensive plays for the final two games of the season. In those two contests, Vick compiled his second-highest quarterback rankings of the year (119.2 at Tampa Bay, 12-20-03, and 93.0 vs. Jacksonville, 12-28-03). In 2002, Johnson guided a young receiving corps that included WR Brian Finneran, who had the best year of his career, recording 838 yards on 56 receptions and six touchdowns.

From 2000 to 2001, Johnson served as the quarterbacks coach for the San Diego Chargers. Under Johnson’s guidance, Doug Flutie amassed career-highs with 3,464 yards passing and 294 completions in 2001. Flutie’s passing yards that season were the most for a Chargers quarterback since Dan Fouts put up 3,638 yards in 1985. During the 2001 campaign, Flutie threw for more than 300 yards on four occasions.

Johnson coached quarterbacks at Oregon State in 1999 after serving as the Beavers wide receivers coach from 1997 to 1998.

Johnson played five pro seasons as a quarterback, beginning his career as a rookie free agent with the Arizona Cardinals in 1990. After being released as part of the team’s final cuts of training camp that season, Johnson played two years for the San Antonio Riders of the World League. Johnson moved to the Canadian Football league in 1992 and quarterbacked the British Columbia Lions for two seasons. From 1994 to 1995, he quarterbacked the CFL’s Shreveport Pirates for his final two pro playing years.

Johnson was the backup quarterback at ASU from 1985 to 1986, but then transferred to Mesa Community College, where he became a Junior College All-American in 1987. Johnson then transferred to the University of Akron for two years (1988-89) and was named Akron’s Athlete of the Year in 1990.
I think Johnson was a solid hire and could potentially replace Raye as offensive coordiantor.
I love the hire of him. I hope he stays around for the long run. Good info by the way. I never new all that about him.
Originally posted by ace8016:
I love the hire of him. I hope he stays around for the long run. Good info by the way. I never new all that about him.

I knew a little about him but not that much, that is why I was looking forward to a bio being posted of him on 49ers.com and I liked what I read and I thought it was interesting he called plays for two games for the Falcons and Vick had his best two games during that time.

I choose to remain positive about our chances this season. It was pretty interesting that Singletary (and McLoughan) hired Johnson as QB coach before they hired Raye, or at least that's the way it seems. Wonder what that really indicates?

Also, MJ is now the guy who will attempt to recover Alex Smith as a QB. It'll be really interesting to see how that comes out. Again, I'm hoping for the best.
From what I have read and heard, Norv Turner recomended Johnson to Singeltary (Johnson was a QB's coach in San Diego in 2001 when Turner was OC). But it also makes me wonder if Turner was so high on Johnson, why didn't he find a spot for him on his coaching staff last season as Johnson was out of football.

But overall Johnson does have a nice resume and is still a pretty young coach.
Of course it is a good hire, he is a former Sun Devil
It's been widely speculated by the beat reporters that Johnson should be considered the OC in waiting. Even though the organization would never confirm something like that.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by ace8016:

I knew a little about him but not that much, that is why I was looking forward to a bio being posted of him on 49ers.com and I liked what I read and I thought it was interesting he called plays for two games for the Falcons and Vick had his best two games during that time.

I can't wait to see what he can do with our QB's. Who ever the three may be.
Share 49ersWebzone