There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mike Johnson named QB coach

Originally posted by Rollout16:
Let it be known that Johnson was out of a job last season. The incredible Jim Hosteler was his replacement in Baltimore...

Speaking for myself, I happen to think that the QB coach is rather important position given the nature of the current roster. If Alex comes back, this guy will no doubt be his bff. If Shaun Hill is the starter this is the guy that's going to have an entire training camp preparing him to be the guy.

In many ways this hire has a bigger effect on the QBs than the hiring of Raye. And I'm not sure I
like it.

He wasn't fired, just not retained.
  • Rollout16
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Let it be known that Johnson was out of a job last season. The incredible Jim Hosteler was his replacement in Baltimore...

Speaking for myself, I happen to think that the QB coach is rather important position given the nature of the current roster. If Alex comes back, this guy will no doubt be his bff. If Shaun Hill is the starter this is the guy that's going to have an entire training camp preparing him to be the guy.

In many ways this hire has a bigger effect on the QBs than the hiring of Raye. And I'm not sure I
like it.

Does anyone know how the shakedown in Baltimore went last year? Was he let go along with Billick? Or did Harbaugh just want his own guy?

Regardless of verbiage, he was with the team in 2007 and not in 2008. I understand Harbaugh wanted to pick his own guys, but the fact still remains that Hosteler took his spot.
  • Rollout16
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Smith2Davis:
No, Hos was the WR coach in Baltimore. IIRC Johnson was the QB coach right?

No Johnson was the WR coach for Baltimore in 07. He was out of a job this past season.

like it.

Does anyone know how the shakedown in Baltimore went last year? Was he let go along with Billick? Or did Harbaugh just want his own guy?

Regardless of verbiage, he was with the team in 2007 and not in 2008. I understand Harbaugh wanted to pick his own guys, but the fact still remains that Hosteler took his spot.

Harbaugh, like any coach, wants his guys. Either way, it makes a huge difference when you word it fired for.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

like it.

Most of the guys that were part of Billick's coaching staff was not retained. That is how we got Foerster as our OL Coach.

Cameron replaced the OC, Jackson replaced the QB coach, Hostler replaced the WR coach, and there were a couple of changes on the defensive side of the ball.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I just think its not a good sign when you have been let go from your last job and then end up siting out a year
If I were Alex, I'd be thinking about another team perhaps.
Originally posted by Jcool:
I just think its not a good sign when you have been let go from your last job and then end up siting out a year

What will be the opinion on the Zone when this happens to Martz?
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Boy !!! i would like to know what peeps will say also, haaaaa!!!!
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Look for the Niners to sign a left-handed QB. Johnson is left-handed and that was one reason why he was picked to tutor Michael Vick as QB Coach in Atlanta.

The left-handed thing, and more specifically, previous Vick association, would seem to lend creedance to Adam Schefters' recent suspicions that the Niners are looking to bring in Vick.

I still can't see it happening, but as I've said elsewhere, I would love to have him.

[ Edited by mug0mug on Jan 29, 2009 at 17:30:04 ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Look for the Niners to sign a left-handed QB. Johnson is left-handed and that was one reason why he was picked to tutor Michael Vick as QB Coach in Atlanta.

Well Alex Smith has no good hands...what he do with him???
Just cause you guys don't know him, doesn't mean he sucks. We'll find out sooner or later.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

they will probably flip flop and say....I knew that was gonna happen

sweet man ya became a mod in my apsence lol! i will prob say we should bring back martz ha ha hey man i am being honest ha ha
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheQuestFor6:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It never ceases to amaze me...every time there's a coach hired, or a player signed, a good percentage of you in this forum sound like the earth is ready to implode, and life as we know it is over. I read just yesterday some pretty positive vibes about the potential to hire Jackson and Johnson. Well, you got half of it...but, what's to say the Raye-Johnson combo won't work just as well. Give Raye some credit...he's lasted a long time in the NFL...so must be able to coach. He and Singletary obviously share a common philosophy...so, if Coach is happy with his selection, then that's good enough for me. IF Raye proves to be unworthy of the job, I'll be the first to say so. But, fans...give the guy a freakin' break. Just because we don't know much about the guy has absolutely no bearing on his ability to coach. He's got @ 30 years of experience...that's a lot of wisdom to impart to our team. And, with Rathman and Johnson now on board, Singletary has two younger coaches who could potentially replace Raye at some point thereby insuring some offensive continuity. Makes a lot of sense to me...

what good is wisdom and experience when has no substantial success to speak of on his resume. Given all his years coaching, he is not credited with anyone's success in the league, nor mentored anyone significant, except Jim Hostler (insert laughs here). In 8 stints as an OC, not one team made it to the playoffs. He Finished 29th and 32nd in the league in rushing the last two seasons as OC for the raiders in 04 and 05 (And sing apparently wants an offense built around run run run punt, go play solid D) He has essentially bounced around from place to place and has never really stuck anywhere. His resume reeks of a bottom feeder assistant coach. He cant be credited with T Jones pro-bowl season this year either, he was running behind an O-line filled with two pro bowlers (faneca and woody) and two 2006 first round picks (Ferguson and Mangold). A lot of backs could have gained that type of yardage. This guys multiple years (30+) in the league, and throughout all those years, nothing jumps out as overly positive. NOT ONE!

There is no reason to be optimistic about this hire. In fact, there is more justification for the viewpoint that this will only result in one outcome: utter disaster.

The sky is falling!
Seriously, who is this guy? What has he done?