Mike Johnson named QB coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Smith2Davis:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Look for the Niners to sign a left-handed QB. Johnson is left-handed and that was one reason why he was picked to tutor Michael Vick as QB Coach in Atlanta.

Chris Simms??? I can't think of any left handed QBs in the draft. Is Leftwich left handed?

Awwww COME ON.....are you kidding me??

Well his name does start with Left...

Seriously though, who are some left handed QBs out there besides Simms? If that has any merit and I dunno if it does, but if it does, I can't think of any that are actually good.

matt leinhart, mark brunell, jared lorenzen, chris simms.... vick in jail

Yay, Leinart can throw a party for Vick when he gets out of jail and Lorenzen can eat all the food at the party.

That's about all that those guys are good at. Brunell used to be good atleast but I have no idea wtf happened to him after arm surgery a few years ago.

exactly,we're f**king screwed
Originally posted by redngold:
why not hue jackson as the QB coach? who the f**k is mike johnson?

Let me introduce myself...I'm Mike Johnson...What are you gonna do about it? Huh?

That's what I thought.
It never ceases to amaze me...every time there's a coach hired, or a player signed, a good percentage of you in this forum sound like the earth is ready to implode, and life as we know it is over. I read just yesterday some pretty positive vibes about the potential to hire Jackson and Johnson. Well, you got half of it...but, what's to say the Raye-Johnson combo won't work just as well. Give Raye some credit...he's lasted a long time in the NFL...so must be able to coach. He and Singletary obviously share a common philosophy...so, if Coach is happy with his selection, then that's good enough for me. IF Raye proves to be unworthy of the job, I'll be the first to say so. But, fans...give the guy a freakin' break. Just because we don't know much about the guy has absolutely no bearing on his ability to coach. He's got @ 30 years of experience...that's a lot of wisdom to impart to our team. And, with Rathman and Johnson now on board, Singletary has two younger coaches who could potentially replace Raye at some point thereby insuring some offensive continuity. Makes a lot of sense to me...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It never ceases to amaze me...every time there's a coach hired, or a player signed, a good percentage of you in this forum sound like the earth is ready to implode, and life as we know it is over. I read just yesterday some pretty positive vibes about the potential to hire Jackson and Johnson. Well, you got half of it...but, what's to say the Raye-Johnson combo won't work just as well. Give Raye some credit...he's lasted a long time in the NFL...so must be able to coach. He and Singletary obviously share a common philosophy...so, if Coach is happy with his selection, then that's good enough for me. IF Raye proves to be unworthy of the job, I'll be the first to say so. But, fans...give the guy a freakin' break. Just because we don't know much about the guy has absolutely no bearing on his ability to coach. He's got @ 30 years of experience...that's a lot of wisdom to impart to our team. And, with Rathman and Johnson now on board, Singletary has two younger coaches who could potentially replace Raye at some point thereby insuring some offensive continuity. Makes a lot of sense to me...

That's the best you've got, Jimmy? Give me a break...
Originally posted by redngold:
why not hue jackson as the QB coach? who the f**k is mike johnson?

i think hue jackson is looking to become an offensive coordinator
  • TheQuestFor6
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

what good is wisdom and experience when has no substantial success to speak of on his resume. Given all his years coaching, he is not credited with anyone's success in the league, nor mentored anyone significant, except Jim Hostler (insert laughs here). In 8 stints as an OC, not one team made it to the playoffs. He Finished 29th and 32nd in the league in rushing the last two seasons as OC for the raiders in 04 and 05 (And sing apparently wants an offense built around run run run punt, go play solid D) He has essentially bounced around from place to place and has never really stuck anywhere. His resume reeks of a bottom feeder assistant coach. He cant be credited with T Jones pro-bowl season this year either, he was running behind an O-line filled with two pro bowlers (faneca and woody) and two 2006 first round picks (Ferguson and Mangold). A lot of backs could have gained that type of yardage. This guys multiple years (30+) in the league, and throughout all those years, nothing jumps out as overly positive. NOT ONE!

There is no reason to be optimistic about this hire. In fact, there is more justification for the viewpoint that this will only result in one outcome: utter disaster.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Is Singletary assembling the lowest paid coaching staff in the league? It seems the staff is filling up with retreads, nobodies, and cast-offs.
This is a little concerning. This guy was beat out by Hostler in Baltimore! Consider the QB coach position down graded.

As for the OC, he has a lot of experience but nothing else. Just seems very bland. Can't tell what type of O he uses.
Ha, hA, ha, - Ok, ok (Time/Date check) We really have become "THAT" team... Yeeeeeaaa,,, We got the guy who was out of football last year and Jimmy Raye - What a coup!!! Let's start Alex too while we are at it...
We took 5 steps forward in 2008 and already we've gone 10 blocks back... But in other news: We can all take comfort in the "fact" that there were no "quality" coaches available for the taking this off season !?!
Yes, we have to let the season play out but success is a built thing. Soon we'll be running on pure luck or as I like to call it the "gamble on a gamble system". I feel bad for S. Hill, F Gore and P Willis. I can only hope that this is a gimmie year to get Rathman geared up to take over as OC in 2010.

Dirty

[ Edited by Dirty9er on Jan 29, 2009 at 05:25:43 ]

Singletary-Raye-Johnson.........screw you rooney rule!

my president is black..my lambo's blue.....

[ Edited by iLL49er on Jan 29, 2009 at 06:22:35 ]
I'll be got dam if my rims ain't to...

Reading these post you would think most of you want this team to fail..just so you could say ...I told you so!.....I guess that's more important to you than actually us getting back to where we need to be.
  • Rollout16
  • Info N/A
Let it be known that Johnson was out of a job last season. The incredible Jim Hosteler was his replacement in Baltimore...

Speaking for myself, I happen to think that the QB coach is rather important position given the nature of the current roster. If Alex comes back, this guy will no doubt be his bff. If Shaun Hill is the starter this is the guy that's going to have an entire training camp preparing him to be the guy.

In many ways this hire has a bigger effect on the QBs than the hiring of Raye. And I'm not sure I
like it.

[ Edited by Rollout16 on Jan 29, 2009 at 10:04:10 ]
ouch.
No, Hos was the WR coach in Baltimore. IIRC Johnson was the QB coach right?
Share 49ersWebzone