There are 241 users in the forums

Would you trade Frank Gore??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you trade Frank Gore??

Originally posted by Shajarian:
Gore has been like a Curtis Martin type of player recently: not flashy, not very many huge runs, but consistently guts out upper echelon yards per run, which is extremely valuable.

I don't remember him being like this in 2006. In '06, he was constantly busting out huge runs.

This is my perception. I haven't looked at stats to confirm the above.

I think its too early to let him go. Walsh was famous for trading players one year before they hit the wall. He had a keen sense for when that was. Right now it's too soon.

He was breaking out with huge runs in 2006 because team had 8 or 9 in the box and if you run a good runner enough with a stacked box, he is going to break some loose as there isn't much help at the second level.
  • 49erchandotorg
  • Info N/A
Only if the trade was too good to pass up.
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
No you guys are right lets see how many 1st round draft picks we can get next year.
gore 1 maybe
willis 2
staley 1
we could have 5 draft picks next year in the first round.
No way, it doesn't make any sense for us to do that.
Originally posted by MADMIKE:
No you guys are right lets see how many 1st round draft picks we can get next year.
gore 1 maybe
willis 2
staley 1
we could have 5 draft picks next year in the first round.

You don't understand the difference between trading Gore, playing the position which is toughest on the body, and trading one of the others? You don't understand odds and risk assessment, do you?
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
Willis hits pretty hard. lets trade him before he gets hurt
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
Montana was traded because the future was young he was on the team.

Why dont you ask the question when we have someone capable of taking the spot. unless you think thats clayton
  • FriscoGold
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by FriscoGold:
yes. Exactly as you stated. The Salary Cap Era of the NFL is all timing. You aim for windows of years you can make a Championship run.....anyone who does not fit into the next window of opportunity is expendable.

But, the Niners are not interested in championships, just mediocrity; so they will keep Gore as long as he can help them sell jerseys and help the Niners send 1-3 players to the Pro Bowl each season.

Now what makes you say that? If they traded gore, you might have something. You dont trade away your best player unless you really are looking for mediocracy. he is the teams centerpiece and you build the team around him.

That also means getting another back to help him too.

Congrats, you recognize that Gore is our best offensive player.....So what? It is going to take roughly 15-20 solid starters on this team to be competing for a ring. Solid, not great.

So Gore being a great player really doesn't matter in terms of winning a Championship...because besides him we only have about half a dozen other solid starters. Given we are that far away, one could make a prediction that best case scenario is that we acquire about a dozen more solid starters in the next 3 off-seasons(GODWILLING). Now fastforward, and please try to tell me with a straight face that Gore is still going to be solid starter.

But again, IF all someone cares about is Gore and his numbers while the Niners struggle for a 9-7 NFC West one and done in the playoffs...by all means Gore can lead us to such a achievement.
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
Who had the giants winning last year. Falcons, Balt, Mia, pats w/o brady. We are not that far off now that were not killing ourselves. We dont need a team of pro bowlers just steady QB play
I'd give him another 2 years with us before i start thinking about trading him. Some people don't realize how valuable he is to this team. There is no reason to trade him right now when he is in his prime.

No, Gore means to much to the locker room and he's our best runningback in 4 seasons. If we trade him we dont even have a good back up option to take the load. Gore is still a solid runningback even though he does have injury issues, it is a must for the niners to draft a good runningback this year to help gore take the load. Runningbacks are the easiest position to replace so a rookie defenitly could do it.
For those who say no see, Holmes, Priest, Faulk, Marshall, Tomlinson, LaDanian, and so on and so on. You think the Chargers wouldn't love to have Michael Turner back right about now?

Running backs are a dime a dozen you always buy low, and trade high. I love Frank Gore, he is an all-time Niner for sure, but he plays the most replaceable position in football. And the most fleeting position, when running backs fade it happens quick and in a hurry. IF, we could get a good deal for him you do it no question about it.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
yes. Exactly as you stated. The Salary Cap Era of the NFL is all timing. You aim for windows of years you can make a Championship run.....anyone who does not fit into the next window of opportunity is expendable.

But, the Niners are not interested in championships, just mediocrity; so they will keep Gore as long as he can help them sell jerseys and help the Niners send 1-3 players to the Pro Bowl each season.

Now what makes you say that? If they traded gore, you might have something. You dont trade away your best player unless you really are looking for mediocracy. he is the teams centerpiece and you build the team around him.

That also means getting another back to help him too.

Congrats, you recognize that Gore is our best offensive player.....So what? It is going to take roughly 15-20 solid starters on this team to be competing for a ring. Solid, not great.

So Gore being a great player really doesn't matter in terms of winning a Championship...because besides him we only have about half a dozen other solid starters. Given we are that far away, one could make a prediction that best case scenario is that we acquire about a dozen more solid starters in the next 3 off-seasons(GODWILLING). Now fastforward, and please try to tell me with a straight face that Gore is still going to be solid starter.

But again, IF all someone cares about is Gore and his numbers while the Niners struggle for a 9-7 NFC West one and done in the playoffs...by all means Gore can lead us to such a achievement.

Gore can be a solid starter in 3 years, if and only if the team can get a second back that is just as capable on his own. He needs help and trading him away can be a great setback. You've seen how ineffectual the offense is without him.

I will say this, to simply trade him away for a first rounder isn't worth it. Multiple picks, sure. IF some idiotic GM offers more than 2 picks for him (a la Ricky Williams, Hershel Walker), then DO IT!. That is too good to pass up.

But Right now, he is our best offensive player. To get rid of him now would be utterly foolish. I understand that you would like to get rid of him so that you can build through the draft but you just can't unless you are sure someone can fill in his role. Who would you sign/draft to replace him? I think it would be better to spell him by getting another good RB. Just look at Minnesota, Carolina, SD, New York Giants, Ravens.
  • FriscoGold
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Thizz415:
I'd give him another 2 years with us before i start thinking about trading him. Some people don't realize how valuable he is to this team. There is no reason to trade him right now when he is in his prime.

well then you should just say you would never trade him, because in 2 years...no one will trade for him......kind of the only reason some of us are pondering it now....because we know it is basically now while he has value, or never.
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
we dont have a michael turner.
Share 49ersWebzone