LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Would you trade Frank Gore??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you trade Frank Gore??

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone is tradeable on this team except for Patrick Willis.
Originally posted by crzy:

you forgot someone

I dont understand why people say Frank Gore is old he is 26 years old everybody knows the magic number for RBs is 30, he is still in his prime

Ladanian Tomlinsons best year was when he was 27

Shaun Alexander best years was when he was 27,28

Jim Browns had 1800 yards when he was 27

Frank Gore is in his prime the 9ers would be very foolish to trade Frank Gore

Yes the 9ers need to incorporate the spread offense but to totally go 100 percent spread is jsut stupid, you need a Running game especially in the playoffs
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont understand why people say Frank Gore is old he is 26 years old everybody knows the magic number for RBs is 30, he is still in his prime

Yes the 9ers need to incorporate the spread offense but to totally go 100 percent spread is jsut stupid, you need a Running game especially in the playoffs

But how old is Frank Gore's body after all the knee injuries, etc?

Again it depends on what we can get for Frank Gore....nobody is untradeable except Patrick Willis.
I love gore! One of the most humble and good guys in the league, but every player has a price! Gore certainly has a shorter shelf life than most with the injuries he's had over the years! I'd imagine they'd catch up to him faster than most Rb's. That said, it would have to be at least a 1st rd and possible a high 2nd at least

I think most people are saying he is the oldest of the talent positions. I.e. he will be old sooner than others on the team, both in real and "running back years" I think most people also agree that Frank is in his Prime. At 26 he is worth a 1st Rd. pick and perhaps a bit more. That's why the talk. He likely won't have the same value when he is 28. So the question is can the sum of all the parts improve at the expense of one of the most talented players? It's a team game and if you can upgrade the line you can run the ball with a lesser back than Frank Gore. That's the theory anyway.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I say keep Frank, next year is when we're going to make our move and Frank is just getting into his prime. We've got a good running back and you guys want to get rid of him already. What's wrong with you people?

The people in Dallas said the same thing about the Hershel Walker trade, but it was an absolutely brilliant move on the part of Jimmy Johnson.

Personally I would trade Gore if the price is right. People are correct in their assessment that we won't be winning the super bowl in the next couple years and why not stock up on young talent now while his value is high. It would give him the opportunity to move to a winning team that is just short a great running back. We need to fill holes along the offensive line, a new cornerback, free safety, and desperately need a conistent pass rusher.

I think what's wrong with these people is that they are able to look at the bigger picture in order to make the team better.
Trade him for what?

Trade him for Adrian Peterson and a first rd pick, hell yeah

Trade him for Ryan Grant and a 3rd rd pick, hell No
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
I don't know a lot about the spread offense but why can't Gore get involved in the spread? Can someone please enlighten me?

The thing is that Frank can run in the Spread from motion and option plays. It's not unthinkable that he can do so. You can run an offset formation from the Spread as well where Frank lines up to either side of the QB and then either motions out or blocks or goes screen, toss, pitch, draw or blast. Steve SHOULD know this since he's the Pro and I'm no more than the Layman here. Right?

And what's nice about having a Back that motions the Defense doesn't know WTF is coming at them more than half the time. It's why the Passing Offenses in the League are so successful at it. Look at what Shawn Payton is doing with the Saints Offense if you need a model.

Originally posted by ZRF80:
Dont you people get it ? This is Young's way of indirectly calling Smith out. I dont think he means that we should trade Gore in a literal sense. He's basically alluding to the fact that Gore cannot be as effective is the spread as he would be in the proset. And to think that we could tailor the entire offense around Alex Smith (eg spread) for the next 10 years is not reasonable in the long run. He's already alluded to that in his last article.

But of course, Steve Young is a troll, doesnt know football, and obviously has limited knowledge of the game as compared to any of us. So why even take him seriously.

Don't know why I'm doing this BUT if Steve was even halfway calling out Alex I would think that that, was the wrong way to go about it. Especially when that is so EASILY taken out of context it ain't even funny. Steve is a better speaker than that. So AAAAAAANNNNNH wrong answer. Nice try now tell em what he's won Don.

"You've won a lifetime supply of Football for..." *this is pre edited to submit to the code of conduct as agreed to by this and all posters. We reserve the right to keep this board as civil as possible. Being that this part of the conversation could be taken in the wrong manner we have deleted and edited for content. Thank you, now back to your regularly scheduled conversation*

Well anyway I'm sure that most reasonable fans have and did try to look at it that way. But he's CLEARLY talking about Frank here. Nevermind that he STILL got the touches, even though they were Pass more than Run. Thanks for playing.

~Ceadder

He clearly says that he sees no reason why Alex cant adapt to playing under center, thus making life easier for Frank to run. It's pretty much a declaration on his part that Alex NEEDS to be able to adapt to different offensive schemes to fully utilize the talent on this team. In other words, cant use the spread forever.

I know you have been conducting the Smith hate train, however I don't think the spread is an Alex issue. I think it's a line issue. The line blocks better when the opposing D is in their nickle, giving Alex time to throw.
Originally posted by VA49er:

I think most people are saying he is the oldest of the talent positions. I.e. he will be old sooner than others on the team, both in real and "running back years" I think most people also agree that Frank is in his Prime. At 26 he is worth a 1st Rd. pick and perhaps a bit more. That's why the talk. He likely won't have the same value when he is 28. So the question is can the sum of all the parts improve at the expense of one of the most talented players? It's a team game and if you can upgrade the line you can run the ball with a lesser back than Frank Gore. That's the theory anyway.

I understand that but if you trade Frank Gore, your not gonna trade him for another RB, like you said it may be for an Olineman or a safety or whatever. Say we do trade him for an o linemen, then what Glen Coffee is not the answer at RB, why trade Frank Gore for a unproven 1st RD pick, what if that pick ends up being a bust?

Now correct me if im wrong but havent Frank Gores injuries since he has been in the NFL been his shoulder and his ankle, i dont recall him having a knee injury in the NFL, i know in college he had some

It may be jsut the homer in me, but i dont see any scenario in which trading Frank Gore makes the 9ers a better team

Depends on what we can get in trade value. Frank is great but if he is not the right fit for the spread, I am open to anything. I would love to see us open up the offense and draft Javid Best out of Cal. The kid is amazing and would give us some great options out of the backfield and could return kicks as well.
To be honest, I don't think Steve was actually saying Frank Gore should be traded.

I think he was saying that the 49ers shouldn't scrap everything and go to a shotgun formation 100% of the time. He thinks they can still spread the field and call passing plays, but he thinks Smith needs to get comfortable taking snaps from center to allow Frank to run the ball.

Later on he said that you can see that the niners might have something going comparing the niners to the early 90's Cowboys...

Not saying these guys are just as good...but his example was...

A. Smith=Aikman
Gore=E. Smith
Crabtree=Irvin
Davis=Novacek

The first one is questionable, but we'll see. Gore may not be Emmit, but he is DAMN good. Crabtree may be every bit as good as Irvin...or even better, but he has a long way to go to show that. In my opinion, Davis is MUCH better than Novacek.

The difference tho is that those Cowboy teams had MAMMOTH O-Lines littered with Pro Bowlers.

The Niners don't have that....at least not yet.
Great Article

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/12/gore-is-the-answer-for-any-offensive-system.html
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by crzy:

you forgot someone

And Andy Lee.
  • SS2K8
  • Veteran
Frank Gore is a beast

Get him an offensive line

The end.
Share 49ersWebzone