LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

Sign & Trade

Shop 49ers game tickets
Does the NFL do Sign and Trades? if they do ive never heard of it happening and I dont get why they wouldnt.
I don't remember any happening
Not really. You sign a guy to a big enough deal and trading him is only going to saddle you with a ridiculous amount of dead money.

You can franchise a player and then trade him the way the Patriots traded Matt Cassel.
Originally posted by DeHubb:
Does the NFL do Sign and Trades? if they do ive never heard of it happening and I dont get why they wouldnt.

No, because of the way the salary cap is set up. If you signed a guy then traded him the guaranteed money would count against your cap (spread out through the length of the contract). Technically you could do it but you would be hurting yourself in the process.
None that I can recall.
The closest thing I can think of was when John Elway, who insisted he would not play for the Baltimore Colts when they made him the first pick in the draft in 1983, was traded to the Denver Broncos a few days later.
Most of the time, when that's done in the NBA, it's to be able to add an extra year onto the contract or to make cap space because contracts are fully guaranteed, so you can't just cut guys to get under. Neither are issues in the NFL.
The eagles signed and traded Bradford in the same offseason. It happens. Shouldnt be allowed though. The NFL really needs to put a stop to those and especially franchising and trading.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
lol this aint the nba
Originally posted by DeHubb:

That's pretty much only in the NBA I believe.
What may happen is that a team that is at road block in negotiations and can't resign a player after they tag him in some manner, I have seen them allow another team permission to talk to them and if a deal is in place, a trade may take place.

I don't think it ever happened. The NBA does it cause all of the money is usually guaranteed.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
What may happen is that a team that is at road block in negotiations and can't resign a player after they tag him in some manner, I have seen them allow another team permission to talk to them and if a deal is in place, a trade may take place.

That isn't allowed in NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone