LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

Eli Apple

Shop 49ers game tickets
Landon Collins flat out called this kid a cancer. He's going to be moved or cut in all likelihood. Was a solid corner his rookie year but the entire Giants team fell apart this year. McAdoo picked on him after the Niners loss, there were also walkouts by numerous players. There was all sorts of dysfunction in that organization this year and the kid has always had some maturity issues, which have been a red flag from day one.

On the other hand he has some ability, his mother was also undergoing brain surgery this year and it could not have been easy for him.

Any risk to trying to get him for a very late round draft pick?
idk about him. he must be f**king pretty bad to be called a cancer as rookie. not a good sign for him.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
idk about him. he must be f**king pretty bad to be called a cancer as rookie. not a good sign for him.

It's his second year. I don't doubt his immaturity but I think that team often looks for scapegoats. Too many divas in that room.

I agree that it's not a good look but for a team lacking talent at corner I don't know if it would hurt to take a look and if it doesn't work out, cut all ties.
ouch, no thanks

kid's on his way out the league because he's a kid, not an adult
Originally posted by znk916:
ouch, no thanks

kid's on his way out the league because he's a kid, not an adult

Sometimes a player really just needs a change of environment. If the Giants cut him, he'd be worth kicking the rocks on but I wouldn't hold out great hope for him or anything. Every single year you have guys go in the first round who simply aren't cut out for the NFL game. However considering the state of the secondary, he at least should get a look.
If they were willing to take a 6th or 7th rounder I would at least put some thought into it.

Has a lot of upside and still on his rookie contract for 2 more years with a 5th year option.

K'Waun had a questionable "attitude" as well when he was cut by the Browns. I wouldn't just take the word of a couple of people as fact and move on.
They will likely outright cut him, so no way am I giving up a draft pick. The stories coming out about him lead me to a definite no thank you...

From his family saying there's something wrong with him to his multiple teammates wanting to fight him.
It would be over an 8 million dollar dead cap hit for the Giants to release Apple.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Dec 26, 2017 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
It would be over an 8 million dollar dead cap hit for the Giants to release Apple.

If he's causing a big enough division in the locker room for a respected team leader to openly call him a cancer to the national media, that is a cost that they very well could be willing to eat.
If they cut him, jump on him! 2 years ago was the 10th pick over all! That team is full of cancers. This guy has tons of talent and will come into a locker the total opposite of the giants. I'd even trade a late pick for him

Sounds like a bad apple.
Since Lynch didn't tolerate Robinson's sideline tantrum or Bowman's displeasure, I can't see him taking a risk.
This staff is all about the culture and protecting the team
Pass.

Apple, a top-10 pick in the 2016 draft, didn't play a single defensive snap in Sunday's loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He has detractors in the locker room and throughout the organization because of his actions, which have earned him a spot on the bench multiple times this season.

"There's only just one corner that ... needs to grow, and we all know who that is," said Collins, one of the more popular players in the locker room. "That would be the only person I would change out of our secondary group. Besides, the other two guys, [Rodgers-Cromartie] and [Jenkins], I love those two guys. They play hard. They love what they do.

"But that first pick ... he's a cancer."

Collins, who was placed on injured reserve Tuesday with a fractured forearm, had to be restrained from confronting Apple the past few weeks, according to a recent report by NJ Advance Media. Collins said last week during his weekly radio spot that Apple needed to grow up.

The bad blood between the two reached a boiling point when Collins told the media that he has had several conversations with Apple about his struggles and handling himself in a professional manner. The following day, Apple denied that the conversations ever occurred.

Among Apple's recent missteps was tweeting on the sideline during a Dec. 10 loss to Dallas.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21886809/new-york-giants-landon-collins-calls-teammate-eli-apple-cancer
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Dec 26, 2017 at 7:20 PM ]
So I guess he's a bad apple huh
Originally posted by Alfienator:
So I guess he's a bad apple huh

Rotten apple
Only player on the Giants I'd get is OBJ and even then the toxic risk may not be worth it
Share 49ersWebzone