LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Your thoughts on the Smith-Schuster hit on Burfict?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Your thoughts on the Smith-Schuster hit on Burfict?

Originally posted by dj43:
Illegal hit. Poor sportsmanship for taunting.

If the NFL is to continue as a profitable enterprise, these kind of hits must be eliminated. It will take suspensions, not just fines, to do that. Players make too much money for a $30,000 fine to have any meaningful impact. In the meantime, when stars players are on IR people don't watch the games = revenue goes down = owners don't make money.

Change coming...

This. Good post. And, the trickle-down effect. I love football just like most of us here and I hope the best for its future. That said, I talk to a lot of people in my community (Bay Area suburbs) as I coach youth sports...the discussion of football comes up a lot and more and more parents tell me they're not letting their children play tackle football. There are still a lot that play and I'm glad to hear that...just don't want the trend to go downwards in the future with more and more illegal hits + concussions/injuries happening on the big NFL stage. Players in this era are a combined bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before - the legal collisions are impactful enough. The illegal hits should have no place in the game.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Had he hit him 6 inches lower it would have been a clean block. Illegal in that regard...taunting is a separate issue and should make the punishment greater.
I'm pretty sure that the NFL has already made crack back blocks illegal. It was a dirty play by a dirty player against another dirty player. I think he should get suspended for it, just as I have thought Burfect should have when he broke the rules.
Great block!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I was fine with the hit, but he shouldnt have taunted. That crossed the line
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
just like Brown said..."KARMA". nothing Burfict didnt have coming.

So does karma escalate? Did Schuster-Smith just bring bad karma upon himself?

Because he's getting his stuff messed up the next time these two teams play, that is a given.
Poor block.
That's football back in the 70s and 80s. How I miss those times. Now you hit me. To hard

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
juju suspended one game

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/4/16736916/juju-smith-schuster-vontaze-burfict-injury-suspension-steelers-bengals
[ Edited by luv49rs on Dec 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by JD9671:
That's football back in the 70s and 80s. How I miss those times. Now you hit me. To hard

Would be interesting to see what has more impact on declining ratings, injured stars not playing, the elimination of the real violent collisions or the athem protests and all that comes with it.
Clean hit in the old days, but understandably illegal now. CTE is a real problem and the league is doing its part by trying to get players to hit lower and reduce hits to the head. Intent is irrelevant under today's rules. If you hit a guy in the head even if you aimed for his chest, you are going to get flagged and that's exactly what happened here.

For anyone complaining about the sport turning into touch football, you can absolutely cut a guy at the knees and send him flying.
loved it! burfict deserves that imo.
I'm for the karma police btw, f**k Burfict. Couple games ago the guy came in late on a gang tackle and tried to rip off Frank Gore's head. Frank was pissed as hell, the only other time I seen him get mad after a play was when he thought Earl Thomas tried to twist his ankle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2YhezHGRa/?hl=en&taken-by=fg2132

You can see Burfict holding Frank's helmet.
Share 49ersWebzone