LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Jon Gruden

Shop 49ers game tickets
I was talking to a friend of the family over watching the Rams game. He's a raider fan so I brought up Gruden. Of course it's the best hire ever.

Me: do you think he will have issues putting a good staff together since he's been away so long?

Him: no because he's been in the booth, he's in touch with the game and a lot of the coaches know him.

Me: yeah but these guys seem to follow guy's they have coached with so it might be tough.

Him: no because he's been in the booth, he's in touch with the game and a lot of the coaches know him.

Me: but...

Him: he's a great coach

Me: I mean he was good years ago

Him: it's Gruden..

Me: alrighty then, food ready yet?
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I was talking to a friend of the family over watching the Rams game. He's a raider fan so I brought up Gruden. Of course it's the best hire ever.

Me: do you think he will have issues putting a good staff together since he's been away so long?

Me: yeah but these guys seem to follow guy's they have coached with so it might be tough.

Me: but...

Him: he's a great coach

Me: I mean he was good years ago

Him: it's Gruden..

Me: alrighty then, food ready yet?
  • dj43
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Was this guy EVER even an elite HC? I remember him getting traded to Tampa, winning the big one with a prebuilt stacked roster, and then failing miserably after that.

Im no Harbaugh fan, but look what he did with a stacked prebuilt roster.

Look what Mcvay is doing this year.

I could go on and on and on. There are lots of HC's that have had a single year, or couple years success when coming into a stacked prebuilt roster, only to have it fall apart a season or so later.

This is the definition of a Davis move.

Davis needs to sell tickets in two markets: Oakland and LV. Gruden is well-known in both of those markets. McVay would have done nothing in that regard.

This is about Davis going all-in on name recognition to help finance his new digs in Vegas. Gruden may not be all Raider fans expects but by the time the Vegas fans know for sure, Davis will has pocketed million$$$.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Was this guy EVER even an elite HC? I remember him getting traded to Tampa, winning the big one with a prebuilt stacked roster, and then failing miserably after that.

I could go on and on and on. There are lots of HC's that have had a single year, or couple years success when coming into a stacked prebuilt roster, only to have it fall apart a season or so later.

EXCELLENT post!

Totally agree.

Gruden is an offensive guy, and Tampa's offense in 2002 was forgettable. It was all Kiffin's Tampa 2 D with longtime pro bowl vets like Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Rice, Barber, etc.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 6, 2018 at 10:59 PM ]
The best thing about Gruden going to the Raiders is that it gets him out of the MNF booth. That guy was one of the lamest "color" men I've ever heard. Hard to believe that he actually won a Super Bowl as his observations rarely got much beyond, "what a terrific catch" or, "They're going to have to get something going in the second half to get back into the game"
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
His Lobster_Skin looking ass gonna bake here in Vegas along with his Orange daddy!!!

f**king Book It, son!!!

Originally posted by Niners99:
Gruden is an offensive guy, and Tampa's offense in 2002 was forgettable. It was all Kiffin's Tampa 2 D with longtime pro bowl vets like Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Rice, Barber, etc.

Booger, the SB MVP Dexter Jackson lol.
If he gets a good staff, who knows?

He was handed a talented team in Tampa, and the only reason he went all the way is because they played the raiders, which he built and knew so well. Gruden himself admitted the raiders didn't change a thing, so he knew exactly what was coming.
Will be fired within 3 years. Book it

Originally posted by dj43:

Davis needs to sell tickets in two markets: Oakland and LV. Gruden is well-known in both of those markets. McVay would have done nothing in that regard.

This is about Davis going all-in on name recognition to help finance his new digs in Vegas. Gruden may not be all Raider fans expects but by the time the Vegas fans know for sure, Davis will has pocketed million$$$.

Agree that name recognition is HUGE for Davis to get $$$

IMO, like many before him - Davis is trying to recreate the old success of the old days by bringing back a "legend.

Too many times, the legend doesn't have what it takes anymore.
Man, did they take that picture of Al after he died?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
10 yrs 10 mill per?

Like player contracts, apparently it's back loaded.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Dumpster fire on the horizon
Share 49ersWebzone