There are 268 users in the forums

Jon Gruden

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Not surprising to see ownership stake was not on the table:

Sources told FootballScoop Monday night and Tuesday morning Jon Gruden is actively working on building his staff for when he formally agrees to be the new head coach of the Raiders.

We fully expect the Raiders to comply with the technicalities and the spirit of the Rooney Rule, but at the end of the day the Raiders, Gruden and everyone else in the profession expects Jon to be offered the position.

Contrary to reports from ESPN sources, we are told the Raiders are not planning to offer Gruden ownership in the team. In addition to the fact that this is very hard to actually do given NFL rules, we are told this has never been on the table and is not part of the "negotiations." Sources tell FootballScoop the deal is expected to be along the lines of $10 million per year, fully guaranteed for five (or more) years. There is expected to be upside in the deal for Jon in terms of bonuses, but not ownership / equity or carried interest we are told.

As for his staff, expect coordinators with considerable NFL experience. We further hear he plans to have at least one former head coach on this staff. "Jon wants guys who love to coach and love the game," one source told FootballScoop.

Will update when more is clear.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-jon-grudens-plans/

man the rooney rule is so stupid. I get the spirit of it, gives minorities a chance, but damn its almost a slap to the face when you are only getting interviewed just because they need to satisfy a rule and you fit the criteria.

Maybe as a compromise they can have it where you have to interview a minority if you have not had a minority coach within 20 years or so. Stupid to have to interview a minority coach when you just recently had a minority coach.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Maybe as a compromise they can have it where you have to interview a minority if you have not had a minority coach within 20 years or so. Stupid to have to interview a minority coach when you just recently had a minority coach.

The interview can include an alternate job besides HC. I believe someone recently had that occur to them where they interview for a HC job but ended up getting a coordinator job with the team.

Could be wrong.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Smart on the raiders part, similar to us they need a head coach that is not dependent on a OC.

The raiders lost thier OC and everything went to hell lol

Not lost, more like stupidly fired.

Technically their OC Bill Musgrave was on an expiring contract and they thought their young hotshot qb coach was ready for the job. Unfortunately for them, they put their trust in the wrong guy.

Yea but with Gruden the offense stays no matter what, similar to the Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, and now Shanahan hires.

Even though he wasn't coaching Gruden hasn't been away from the game. He's been learning different offensive concepts (spent a summer learning the spread) and he's been working with QB's.

The raiders current roster and thier high draft picks along with Gruden can be scary.

But they are the raiders, sort of like the Cleveland Browns but in disguise. So, you go and hire the coach you traded away. The same guy that kicked your ass in the Super Bowl, and ask him to save your franchise. I can see a million things that can go wrong starting with the QB and Head Coach relationship.

Gruden has a shot to be successful for the very reason that he has kept himself close to football. In the end this hiring feels like killing two birds with one stone for the Raiders. This is your last year in Oakland where fans aren't very happy right now then your moving to a place like Vegas. Gruden is still a bit of a captivating name in football. Now you have him leading your team as you look to transition from one city and enter another. It'll at least get people talking and watching.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 2, 2018 at 9:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Gruden has a shot to be successful for the very reason that he has kept himself close to football. In the end this hiring feels like killing two birds with one stone for the Raiders. This is your last year in Oakland where fans aren't very happy right now then your moving to a place like Vegas. Gruden is still a bit of a captivating name in football. Now you have him leading your team as you look to transition from one city and enter another. It'll at least get people talking and watching.

Yep. He is a bright shiny pony for the fans to look at while the team skips town.

Del Rio did an all right job in Oakland and- to be honest- I will be very surprised if Gruden does better
I always enjoyed the clips from when he was "wired" as a head coach. I'm probably one of the few who has been disappointed in his work on MNF as he comes off as peaches and rainbows compared to the snarly jacka** he came off as a head coach.

He may have floundered in his time in Tampa post super bowl in 2002, but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for what he did in Oakland, particularly in 1999 leading into 2000.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I always enjoyed the clips from when he was "wired" as a head coach. I'm probably one of the few who has been disappointed in his work on MNF as he comes off as peaches and rainbows compared to the snarly jacka** he came off as a head coach.

He may have floundered in his time in Tampa post super bowl in 2002, but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for what he did in Oakland, particularly in 1999 leading into 2000.

Very good post, apparently he'll be bringing Rich Gannon with him to try and capture that 1999-2000 stuff. They were a fun team to watch, and if it was anyone else I'd have felt sorry for them against the Pats!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he was always my first choice to be our coach when we had our vacancies
how was coach gibbs coming back after a long layoff ?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Made the playoffs twice in four seasons. Washington has been in the playoffs twice in 10 seasons since he left.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Made the playoffs twice in four seasons. Washington has been in the playoffs twice in 10 seasons since he left.
not bad for being 12 year layoff

His brother Jay made it seem like the redskins have to choose between Cousins or keeping him as a coach.

If John does get the raiders job he could bring his brother in.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
His brother Jay made it seem like the redskins have to choose between Cousins or keeping him as a coach.

If John does get the raiders job he could bring his brother in.
So Jay Doesnt want KC ?
10 yrs 10 mill per?
Good to see chucky back in the league but 10 year $100mil. Got damn raiders are stupid.
To have Potential like Derek Carr (even though I still don't trust him) and Cooper...

And Lynch for another season....and athletic TEs.

Gruden must be licking his chops.
Share 49ersWebzone