LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

Jon Gruden

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Smart on the raiders part, similar to us they need a head coach that is not dependent on a OC.

The raiders lost thier OC and everything went to hell lol

Not lost, more like stupidly fired.

Technically their OC Bill Musgrave was on an expiring contract and they thought their young hotshot qb coach was ready for the job. Unfortunately for them, they put their trust in the wrong guy.

Yea but with Gruden the offense stays no matter what, similar to the Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, and now Shanahan hires.

Even though he wasn't coaching Gruden hasn't been away from the game. He's been learning different offensive concepts (spent a summer learning the spread) and he's been working with QB's.

The raiders current roster and thier high draft picks along with Gruden can be scary.

But they are the raiders, sort of like the Cleveland Browns but in disguise. So, you go and hire the coach you traded away. The same guy that kicked your ass in the Super Bowl, and ask him to save your franchise. I can see a million things that can go wrong starting with the QB and Head Coach relationship.
Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if chucky went to the colts
This guy is so overrated.
to be fair i really wanted him also before we hired harbaugh cause i didnt think we would get harbaugh.
It'll be interesting to see what he does with a young team. He basically took over 2 teams in Oakland and Tampa that were loaded with legit veteran talent. He's never really groomed and produced a quality young QB. Seems like he's got a decent head start with Carr, as he's had a good season before. We shall see.
  • dj43
I think Gruden will do well with the Raiders. He has a franchise QB along with a solid offensive supporting case. However, his greatest asset is, that much like John Lynch in his stint as a broadcaster, he has had access to the very best organizations in the league and has learned a good insight into what makes them tick. I would not be at all surprised if the Raiders do well right from the start. The talent is there.
Imagine a raiders/pats playoff game in new england with hoodie and gruden tuck rule rematch
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 1, 2018 at 1:56 PM ]
Shanahan(s) > Gruden.
I always thought JDR was an average at best head coach but I don't think this season should be on him at all. Their GM sucks besides lucking into Carr and Mack and the players have to look at themselves for a huge portion of the blame, starting with the quarterback. I doubt Gruden will come back but even if he does I don't think it will work. Gruden might be able to make a good staff but that team seems to have a bunch of holes on defense still and a QB who hasn't been the same since his injury.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I always thought JDR was an average at best head coach but I don't think this season should be on him at all. Their GM sucks besides lucking into Carr and Mack and the players have to look at themselves for a huge portion of the blame, starting with the quarterback. I doubt Gruden will come back but even if he does I don't think it will work. Gruden might be able to make a good staff but that team seems to have a bunch of holes on defense still and a QB who hasn't been the same since his injury.

Gruden could bump heads with McKenzie, Gruden will fire him most likely

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
This guy is so overrated.

So much this
Should have stayed where he was, the image he has built up for himself is about to come crashing down
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Not surprising to see ownership stake was not on the table:

Sources told FootballScoop Monday night and Tuesday morning Jon Gruden is actively working on building his staff for when he formally agrees to be the new head coach of the Raiders.

We fully expect the Raiders to comply with the technicalities and the spirit of the Rooney Rule, but at the end of the day the Raiders, Gruden and everyone else in the profession expects Jon to be offered the position.

Contrary to reports from ESPN sources, we are told the Raiders are not planning to offer Gruden ownership in the team. In addition to the fact that this is very hard to actually do given NFL rules, we are told this has never been on the table and is not part of the "negotiations." Sources tell FootballScoop the deal is expected to be along the lines of $10 million per year, fully guaranteed for five (or more) years. There is expected to be upside in the deal for Jon in terms of bonuses, but not ownership / equity or carried interest we are told.

As for his staff, expect coordinators with considerable NFL experience. We further hear he plans to have at least one former head coach on this staff. "Jon wants guys who love to coach and love the game," one source told FootballScoop.

Will update when more is clear.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-jon-grudens-plans/
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 2, 2018 at 10:33 AM ]
This is gonna be so fun watch fall on it's face lol
Yea I doubt the owners would approve of giving ownership stakes to coaches
Originally posted by Jcool:
Not surprising to see ownership stake was not on the table:

Sources told FootballScoop Monday night and Tuesday morning Jon Gruden is actively working on building his staff for when he formally agrees to be the new head coach of the Raiders.

We fully expect the Raiders to comply with the technicalities and the spirit of the Rooney Rule, but at the end of the day the Raiders, Gruden and everyone else in the profession expects Jon to be offered the position.

Contrary to reports from ESPN sources, we are told the Raiders are not planning to offer Gruden ownership in the team. In addition to the fact that this is very hard to actually do given NFL rules, we are told this has never been on the table and is not part of the "negotiations." Sources tell FootballScoop the deal is expected to be along the lines of $10 million per year, fully guaranteed for five (or more) years. There is expected to be upside in the deal for Jon in terms of bonuses, but not ownership / equity or carried interest we are told.

As for his staff, expect coordinators with considerable NFL experience. We further hear he plans to have at least one former head coach on this staff. "Jon wants guys who love to coach and love the game," one source told FootballScoop.

Will update when more is clear.

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-on-jon-grudens-plans/

man the rooney rule is so stupid. I get the spirit of it, gives minorities a chance, but damn its almost a slap to the face when you are only getting interviewed just because they need to satisfy a rule and you fit the criteria.
[ Edited by gold49digger on Jan 2, 2018 at 12:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone