LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Football on Thursdays

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think they will go with the easy solution to extend the season to 18 weeks and include 2 bye weeks so every team has a bye week before their Thursday night game.

This is a step further from what I have been advocating in that it includes extending the season.

I get that it seems like an easy solution but is it even being discussed? I dont even understand why a second bye week is necessary for this idea to work.
IDK why they stopped having games on Saturday .
More people are home , drankin,feeling good,etc.
I don't understand why they can't give every team an extra bye and ensure every team's Thursday night game comes after a bye. What am i missing?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This is a step further from what I have been advocating in that it includes extending the season.

I get that it seems like an easy solution but is it even being discussed? I dont even understand why a second bye week is necessary for this idea to work.

Because ideally every team would have their byes close to mid season. In order to have a week two Thursday game, you'd need a week 1 bye.
I think they will go with the easy solution to extend the season to 18 weeks and include 2 bye weeks so every team has a bye week before their Thursday night game.

2 byes would be dope and smart AF. Totally down for this.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
IDK why they stopped having games on Saturday .
More people are home , drankin,feeling good,etc.

College Football. They may have some still during playoffs.
Is better than football on Tuesdays.
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
Is better than football on Tuesdays.

And better than the London games.
I like the Thursday game as it gives me something during the work week to be excited about lol. I say keep it and add and extr bye week. Not sure what that would look like and how many weeks it would add to the season. Or move the Thursday night game to Friday which would be even better to me. I don't care about high school football.
Only time football should be played on Thursday's is on Thanksgiving

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

There's other outside impacts on this though. 18 weeks means more televised games which means the NFL would be dumb not to charge affiliates more money for providing more TV games. Since the contracts are already set with TV, then the NFL would essentially be giving affiliates free games until the contract is over.

I don't see anything happening with more games or longer season until the money talks begin.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

There's other outside impacts on this though. 18 weeks means more televised games which means the NFL would be dumb not to charge affiliates more money for providing more TV games. Since the contracts are already set with TV, then the NFL would essentially be giving affiliates free games until the contract is over.

I don't see anything happening with more games or longer season until the money talks begin.

Ratings have been down i guess.. Wouldnt that compensate fof all the TV companies and fans? Seems like a win-win.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Love football on Thursday. Who hates an extra day of football?!
The NFL can do away with the Thursday Night games if the players hate them so much, but then they lose that revenue - which is shared by the owners & the players.

So the contracts for the players should all be adjusted for the loss of the Thursday Night football. The only fair way would be by each player's percentage of the salary cap.

I bet they'd stop crying when their paychecks start shrinking.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Let the whiny millionaires cry...Thursday night football works
Share 49ersWebzone