Pre-OrderYour 2018 Color Rush Throwback Jersey

There are 125 users in the forums

Football on Thursdays

• jrg
  • Veteran
What are your thoughts on it? A lot of players have been complaining about having to play on Thursdays (after their Sunday game)

I get their point, but the NFL is all about $. More days they can command the audiences, the more $ they make.

I wish they'd go back to having Thursday games here and there. They're basically making it to be the new Monday Night Football to promote these dumb color rush jerseys.

Your thoughts?
Why thursday games? Don't understand why there are no Friday or Saturday games over there.

Here in oz, we have normally fri,sat,sun games, occasionally a mon or thur game... for 22 wks regular season before going into equivalent of playoffs.
[ Edited by Who-is-Hayne on Nov 14, 2017 at 1:33 AM ]
They should have a premier tier of the top 16 teams from the prior year that plays Sundays and Mondays

Then a secondary tier of the bottom 16 teams that play each other on Thursdays and wear the clown suits

Top 8 teams in premier conference go to the playoffs
Bottom 8 teams in premiership get relegated down
Top 8 teams in 2ndary conference get promoted
Bottom 8 teams get the draft lottery

Niners in the playoffs by 2025
Originally posted by Who-is-Hayne:
Why thursday games? Don't understand why there are no Friday or Saturday games over there.

Have to respect Jewish and Muslim sabbaths
Im cool with it if teams are coming off byes. Other than that get rid of it. Not enough time to prepare and recover.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Have to respect Jewish and Muslim sabbaths

And college ball.

High School and College games are on Friday and Saturday. The NFL often has a few Saturday games in the last week or two of the season when college games have wrapped up.
Commissioner Bert Bell and the original owners didn't give the whole product away all at once. If the product is easily accessible it loses it's luster. Home games were blacked out, if you wanted to watch your home team on television you had to travel quite a distance, in some cases another state. This guaranteed packed stadiums, there were 12 game schedules. There were 2 divisions and there was one Championship game, that's it. With big money came more regular season and playoff games, and greed by the owners. Thursday night football causes injuries because of the shortened healing time between games. As a lifelong fan who used to go into depression at seasons' end the game has reached its' apex and the decline is beginning.
I like the color rush idea as it's different in a good way and only temporary. One or two weeks out of the season is no big deal. Love the all black for the 49ers, would not mind seeing all gold at some point.

As far as the negative effects on players, I think the NFL may want to find a way to schedule bye weeks in the week before the games for the teams that will be playing in those Thursday games. If the owners care about the return on their investment they will do something to ease the load on the players.

Friday=High school football

Saturday=College football.

I love TNF. It gives me something to look foward to after I get off work. I understand why some players may not like it though. However, if I'm making their kinda dough, I'll play any day of the week.

And the color rush uniforms are awesome!
make the players happy. scratch it.
Do not like.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fincham11:
I love TNF. It gives me something to look foward to after I get off work. I understand why some players may not like it though. However, if I'm making their kinda dough, I'll play any day of the week.

And the color rush uniforms are awesome!

i like them too but empathize for the players - they are still sore and recovering from Sunday so it's gotta be exhausting. And i agree, if i were making their money, i would play every other day

however, i like the idea of having them play after their bye week so that they have time in between games to rest
Sucks with the injuries but i do like a game thursday night. Its 1 more game u watch per week. It would just be lost in the shuffle on sunday wheres there sometimes 10 games on at once
Share 49erswebzone