LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Quarterback Needy Teams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
How do you know we will sign him long term?

How do you know they won't?

Based on everything Lynch and Shanahan have said, based on the fact that they traded an early 2nd round pick for the guy, I think its reasonable to assume that their plan isn't just to let him walk. Once he's signed to a long term deal or even the franchise tag, drafting a QB early isn't happening.
Originally posted by Central_Valley_49er:
Pretty much sums it up. Can't spend $25 mill on a QB and then spend a high 1st draft pick on a QB just to have him sit on the bench for the next couple of years and then possibly not getting anything better than the draft pick you used to get him. Can't afford roster need in the NFL, especially this team with all the holes on the roster to take such a high pick on someone to ride the bench

This.

You use a #4 draft pick on a QB when you already have Garoppolo.

Best case scenario, he does a great job holding a clipboard. Garoppolo is somehow cool with it, shrugs it off and continues to be a pro. And in a few years, you hope to gain what? Another top 5 draft pick for him? Maybe, especially considering that his rookie contract will be rapidly coming to an end, making them less valuable.

Worst case scenario, Garoppolo gets pissed off, his agent demands a trade, you've soured the mood in the locker room and your stud rookie QB eventually proves to be a bust, which is especially hurtful when its a QB because they can't contribute in any other way for you. You end up getting pennies on the dollar in a trade from some team who still believes that they can turn the guy around.

It just doesn't make sense to me when this team needs help badly in some many other areas. If you want to add a QB to develop, you can always find a guy in the later rounds, plus you already have Beathard anyways.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Originally posted by LivingInExile:
Think we should consider drafting a QB in first round. 15 teams need QBs. Could take many years to supply their needs, and only so many good QBs will develop from each years draft. If Garoppollo does not work out, we would remain in current situation -- no QB. Better to test Garoppollo and see how he does in the fire, while developing a first rounder behind him. Prefer not remaining in no QB hell.

No way this happens. We have our QB in Jimmy G and Beathard has shown to be a capable back up.
We end up in the top 3 of the draft and someone will want that pick for a QB or Barkley. We trade back gather an extra 2nd this year and a first next year at least. Perhaps even more. We are in a good spot to cash in.

Spending $30+ million on the QB position is definitely not happening. Both Shanahan and Lynch would get ridiculed, and deservedly so. This isn't a 12 to 13 win team that can afford to take that kind of luxury. They made a hefty investment by giving up an early 2nd rounder for Garoppolo. They will get a long term extension done with him. After all that you're not going to use a Top 5 pick on another quarterback just for insurance. That would send an awful message to Garoppolo as far as your faith in him goes, it also deprives you of filling a particular hole on the roster or trading down, adding multiple picks and addressing numerous holes on the roster.

That's why I said I don't see us drafting a QB. There's is absolutely zero need for it.
So, let's fill in the blank...
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Not saying I want it to happen or see the odds that great but is there a chance we trade Jimmy to Was for Cousins if they franchise him?
Originally posted by jcs:
Not saying I want it to happen or see the odds that great but is there a chance we trade Jimmy to Was for Cousins if they franchise him?

In an infinite universe anything is possible. It would be an idiot move, though, with no benefit in all likelihood. We would have to franchise Garoppolo as well. So it isn't going to happen.
Share 49ersWebzone