There are 166 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins

Shop 49ers game tickets
He'll be a free agent at the end of the season, wonder if we'll go after him (49ers)? He could give us that #1 type WR to go with Garcon. Goodwin and Taylor would still see the field as well, making a nice little 4 WR combo. Don't know how much it would take to get him, but we have the money, and perhaps we could just front load the deal since we have so much cap space, so that when we're becoming more competitive, his salary would be going down, in a sense creating cap space as the years go on in his deal.
He's only done anything for one week the entire year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's only done anything for one week the entire year.

He seemed to give up a ton on routes last game. Prototypical ZWR we need but one really has to question his commitment to the game at this point.
I think Watkins is having a similar time in LA to the one he did in Buffalo, in that he isn't featured as much as he would like. The guy has gone from Clemson where he got 101 receptions in his final year to 65 and 60 receptions in his first two seasons with Buffalo. He saw his targets fall by a quarter in his second year with Buffalo. And in his third year with Buffalo he was on pace for a career low in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs. This year with the Rams he's on pace for career lows in targets, receptions, and receiving yards. So I can see why Watkins has been frustrated because he's clearly got star potential and hasn't been able to show it off as much as he would like because he's not been placed in a featured role like some of his peers (e.g. ODB and Evans in his draft class).

Compare Watkins to another Clemson receiver - DeAndre Hopkins - and the difference is huge. This year Hopkins is on pace for a career high in targets, receptions, and TD catches. Throughout his time in Houston he's pretty much been the go to guy and the centrepiece of that passing game. I'm sure that when Watkins looks at his old teammate's role in Houston he is very envious because that's the kind of role he wanted in Buffalo and LA.

Would it be the right move for us to sign him next year? I guess it depends on how we plan to use him. If we plan to make use of his star potential and make him the go to play maker in the passing game, then he has a ton of value if we get him at the right price. However, if we plan to spread the targets around, then we might be better off looking elsewhere for someone that isn't as prone to having a tantrum when he doesn't get the role he wants.
I am with you on that Mike. I think he is very frustrated that he's not getting more targets, and being allowed to show what he can do. Good thing for us, is that with all this limited use, and injury history, he might come pretty cheap compared to what his talent level is. Getting him 6-8 targets a game shouldn't be a problem, especially if we have Garcon and others around him drawing attention away from him. Watkins might be looking for a 1 year deal to try and bring his value up, so coming here and being THE GUY might help him do that. It will be interesting to see what happens, the main reason I want hi here, is that it eliminates the need in the draft to go for a top end WR early. Then our main needs would be a LEO and QB, assuming Hoyer and Beathard don't convince Shanahan that they're worthy of being the starter going forward short or long term.
Can't see any reason why rams would pay a 2nd rounder to showcase him to the niners for a year..

He will be retained by the rams, and if he isn't, it's because he isn't worth the money.
Yes, they spent a 2nd rounder to acquire him, but if they're not using him, why would they pay big bucks to keep him? They're not going to franchise him, and he already had his 5th year option declined. Watkins is going to hit FA, and the Rams might just let him go, especially with how Kupp is progressing for them.
I don't think a coach like Mcvay would not use sammy Watkins if he was as good of weapon as we'd be assuming he is by paying for his sevices.
He's crying about his role on the Rams right now. Last game he gave up on a deep route and Goff threw the ball his way. (Incomplete) They may have won if Watkins wasn't lazy. (What Rams fans are saying)
The Rams also have one of the deepest WR groups in the NFL. If he came here he'd probably get more targets.

We still need a QB though. Free agents aren't going to want to walk into an unknown, unless we PAY them. We were lucky to get Garcon.

We weren't LUCKY to get Garcon, we paid him more than he would have gotten else where. Like they say, "Money talks, and BS walks". Watkins would be good to get on a 1 year prove it deal, or sign on a 4-5 year deal at fair market value, and front loading it so the $$$ is more than a back loaded deal.
Share 49ersWebzone