LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

Cam Newton

Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
what he said was very insensitive and offensive... he insinuated she's unqualified for her job because she is a woman. That is exactly what sexism is. Cam was negative stereotyping, which is simply hurtful and/or uncomfortable to hear...

(Goes on to say he got a guy fired for something similar)

...he needs to understand on a human level why what he said is offensive. I also question his intelligence for thinking he could say something like that at the podium without damaging his public image.

What did you say?

Originally posted by theduke85:

Nicely said, I agree with everything here.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
what he said was very insensitive and offensive... he insinuated she's unqualified for her job because she is a woman. That is exactly what sexism is. Cam was negative stereotyping, which is simply hurtful and/or uncomfortable to hear...

(Goes on to say he got a guy fired for something similar)

...he needs to understand on a human level why what he said is offensive. I also question his intelligence for thinking he could say something like that at the podium without damaging his public image.

What did you say?

Originally posted by theduke85:

Nicely said, I agree with everything here.
And, and his post that ended with "I don't think Cam is a horrible dude or anything" you quipped, "yeah, I get it, Cam is a stupid sexist". I feel like you're trying really hard to shove a square peg through a round hole and twist every opposing argument into the same "only snowflakes can be offended by this" narrative.

My previous post summarizes my views and clears up any ambiguities. I feel like we're just going in circles at this point though.
Hey Duke, I don't have the energy to continue this argument. I think we all have good intentions. I'll leave it at that.
Great for short stretches & sucks the rest of the time. Worse than mediocre.
Whether or not it's true that most women have at best a rudimentary understanding of football (it's true), what he said was very insensitive and offensive. His comment was pointedly derisive--women on average not knowing as much about sports is probably to their credit: they're not obsessive nerds like us. And he specifically said it to a female sports reporter, so on a direct level he insinuated she's unqualified for her job because she is a woman. That is exactly what sexism is. Cam was negative stereotyping, which is simply hurtful and/or uncomfortable to hear.

I had an experience at work the other day where a white co-worker (I'm white too) kept complaining about his tasks, calling it "Mexican work." Whether or not it is common in California for Mexicans to do that sort of work, his complaining painted a negative stereotype since he was insinuating the work was beneath him but fit for a Mexican. I found myself deeply disturbed by his words, and I told my boss I will not work around him anymore. (I think he was let go as a result. He was a temp.) That kind of stuff is simply hateful, and regardless of the target of the hate or the nature of the stereotype, it is disturbing to hear.

I don't think Cam is a horrible dude or anything, but he needs to understand on a human level why what he said is offensive. I also question his intelligence for thinking he could say something like that at the podium without damaging his public image.

You're a straight up b***h.
Originally posted by Polkadots:
Whether or not it's true that most women have at best a rudimentary understanding of football (it's true), what he said was very insensitive and offensive. His comment was pointedly derisive--women on average not knowing as much about sports is probably to their credit: they're not obsessive nerds like us. And he specifically said it to a female sports reporter, so on a direct level he insinuated she's unqualified for her job because she is a woman. That is exactly what sexism is. Cam was negative stereotyping, which is simply hurtful and/or uncomfortable to hear.

I had an experience at work the other day where a white co-worker (I'm white too) kept complaining about his tasks, calling it "Mexican work." Whether or not it is common in California for Mexicans to do that sort of work, his complaining painted a negative stereotype since he was insinuating the work was beneath him but fit for a Mexican. I found myself deeply disturbed by his words, and I told my boss I will not work around him anymore. (I think he was let go as a result. He was a temp.) That kind of stuff is simply hateful, and regardless of the target of the hate or the nature of the stereotype, it is disturbing to hear.

I don't think Cam is a horrible dude or anything, but he needs to understand on a human level why what he said is offensive. I also question his intelligence for thinking he could say something like that at the podium without damaging his public image.

I was thinking along the same lines.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
I think it's a joke. People are just looking for reasons to be offended.

in such a situation i obviously completely agree with you! and i do agree with the fact that people are often looking for reasons to be offended, as if they like to be victims. generally it seems to me that a lot of people kind of love to be a victim. i personally am currently a victim of human growth hormone deficiency and i absolutely hate it. generally i hate being a victim. unlike other people out there.
[ Edited by Exiorat87 on Nov 23, 2017 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Great for short stretches & sucks the rest of the time. Worse than mediocre.

lol
Found Cam's new holiday look.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by HomerJ:
I think it's a joke. People are just looking for reasons to be offended.

Agreed
x2

... and the MSM will never pass up an opportunity to blow a minute incident out of proportion. They'll focus on the trivial while reporting nothing of the monumental. Separate from, and including, this incident.

Gangsta!
At least he's saving money at Walmart.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
Originally posted by Polkadots:

I was thinking along the same lines.

Thankfully these two guys stopped posting.
Share 49ersWebzone