There are 307 users in the forums

Poll: Like or Dislike Players Protesting During the National Anthem?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Poll: Like or Dislike Players Protesting During the National Anthem?

photo op
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I like it because it's statistically impossible to legitimately argue that it's not a valid cause, because I think that peaceful and non-violent and non-threatening protest is never a bad thing, and because I respect anyone who is willing to risk things for what they believe in.

Even more than I like it though, I am vehemently opposed to the rationales of people who don't like it.

You don't want politics invading your sports? Fine. They're not. It's all happening before the game even starts, and during a "tradition" that isn't even a tradition in the NFL. Players weren't even out on the field for the anthem until 2009. If you don't like it do what everyone else does and just tune in for kickoff time. Heck, I just tune in for kickoff time like I always have.

You think it's unAmerican? Protest and the public political redress of government is LITERALLY what this country was founded on. The "what and who are real Americans" wars could not be more shallow and boring, but if you think the peaceful and public protest of the state is unAmerican I'm sorry, but you're simply an idiot. Historically you'd be hard pressed to come up with a single thing that is more American. /en

You think it disrespects "the troops"? That's a deliberate misunderstanding of what is being protested, and those protesting have wasted the time to make that clear to you hundreds of times over. Quite frankly, even if it WAS a protest of the military (which it decidedly isn't -- players kneel on the advice of a military man) I'd be perfectly fine with that also. That the U.S. military is a sacred cow is one of the greatest boondoggles of our time. The U.S. military has become the most destructive, least efficient, least productive, and most expensive public low-skill jobs program in recorded human history. My father died in war for this country, and unless you have an immediate family member who has done the same, you can seriously F off with your moral high ground or high falutin talk about the sacredness of the military.

You think players shouldn't protest because they should be grateful that they make a lot of money? What? This is a ridiculous claim. I'm happy to go into the details about how intellectually mealy mouthed this claim is if anyone actually wants to take it seriously, but it's a logical mess and doesn't hold up to an ounce of scrutiny.

/end rant
You wouldn't be here typing this if there weren't people who willingly sacrifice their lives for our country. They give up everything: family, friends, interests, etc. They aren't home to watch their kids grow. They aren't home to spend time with their wives and family. They sacrifice these amazing privileges so that we Americans can do whatever we want. It's absolutely 100% disrespectful to not stand, support, pray, and say thanks by standing to those who sacrifice it all. I'm so grateful and thankful to be in the USA. God bless!
I see Reid can't understand why anybody would consider it unpatriotic.

You stand for the anthem and flag to show respect for your country. Therefore, by definition, you sit to disrespect it.

I get that the purpose of your protest is not unpatriotic, if done at any other time. Doing it during the anthem an unveiling of the flag makes it so.

All that notwithstanding, sports, movies, and other entertainment are all forms of temporary escapes from the burdens of reality, and these protests really do mitigate the overall enjoyment and appeal of the sport for many people. Lost fans will ultimately result in lost wages for the players. This is just not good for football.

And, I do not believe these political protests do not cause friction and hard feelings and feelings of coercion within teams. Just like you don't talk religion or politics at the dinner table in polite society, you don't do it in a public team setting either, when you can not walk away.
Trump said. Jerry Jones is winner and clever.. check it out here..

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/09/27/president-trump-says-hes-spoken-with-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones/
Dislike, but it doesn't bother me that much.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Come on. Jerry Jones was kneeling for prayer then Stood up for national Athem start song our Flag USA. Not bad.. check it out my link..look up the link. ^^^
Originally posted by BuZzB05:

Come on. Jerry Jones was kneeling for prayer then Stood up for national Athem start song our Flag USA. Not bad.. check it out my link..look up the link. ^^^
Jerry Jones has no idea why he is doing it
Yet almost all of us probably sit on the couch or go to the toilet when the anthem is played on TV,
I dont care , it's a peaceful protest that does not disrupt the flow of the game
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I see Reid can't understand why anybody would consider it unpatriotic.

You stand for the anthem and flag to show respect for your country. Therefore, by definition, you sit to disrespect it.

I get that the purpose of your protest is not unpatriotic, if done at any other time. Doing it during the anthem an unveiling of the flag makes it so.

All that notwithstanding, sports, movies, and other entertainment are all forms of temporary escapes from the burdens of reality, and these protests really do mitigate the overall enjoyment and appeal of the sport for many people. Lost fans will ultimately result in lost wages for the players. This is just not good for football.

And, I do not believe these political protests do not cause friction and hard feelings and feelings of coercion within teams. Just like you don't talk religion or politics at the dinner table in polite society, you don't do it in a public team setting either, when you can not walk away.

Good post.

It amounts to a publicity stunt to boost ratings. Im against the mindless division and controversy. It doesnt really have anything to do with the original incodents anymore. It big pr from the pres, nfl, nba. Trump does big sports a favor by being inflammatory, so everyone tunes into the controversy. Classic pr stunt. Guess who makes money when ratings go up. Curry Durant jerry jones. Etc. Thank you donald.

Green lives matter.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!
Originally posted by mv49erfan:
You wouldn't be here typing this if there weren't people who willingly sacrifice their lives for our country. They give up everything: family, friends, interests, etc. They aren't home to watch their kids grow. They aren't home to spend time with their wives and family. They sacrifice these amazing privileges so that we Americans can do whatever we want. It's absolutely 100% disrespectful to not stand, support, pray, and say thanks by standing to those who sacrifice it all. I'm so grateful and thankful to be in the USA. God bless!

Why Kap chose to begin kneeling rather than sitting during the anthem:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/09/27/how-nate-boyer-got-colin-kaepernick-to-kneel-rather-than-sit/

Nate Boyer was willing to listen to Colin Kaepernick's side of the 49ers quarterback's civil rights protest. That seems to have sat well with Kaepernick.
Boyer, the Green Beret from El Cerrito, opened up about his interaction with Kap on an episode of HBO's "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel" that airs Tuesday at 7 p.m.
"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer said on the show, according to CBS Sports. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."
Boyer called Kaepernick "very receptive" to the idea.
"He said, 'I think that would be… I think… I think that would be really powerful,'" Boyer said. "And, you know, he asked me to do it with him. And I said, 'Look, I'll stand next to you. I gotta stand though. I gotta stand with my hand on my heart. That's just… that's just what I do and where I'm from.'"
I love it...I'm all for idiotic virtue-signaling and ignorant feigned outrage.
Originally posted by mv49erfan:
I appreciate your opinion but to me the bolded is contradictory. If those brave, courageous, heroes gave their lives to allow Americans to "do what they want", then is it not more disrespectful to deny that freedom from the individuals that chose to protest for what they believe in? If we don't have that freedom, then those men and women whom gave their lives in service died for nothing. And I refuse to believe that.

I wouldn't kneel myself, but for my stated reason above, I'm completely fine with Americans choosing to exercise their freedoms.

As for the protest itself, this discussion is just going in circles. If you want it to end, then truly open your ears to WHY they are protesting and look past the how. It ends when awareness is raised and improvements are made.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by BuZzB05:

Jerry Jones has no idea why he is doing it

... Jerry Jones have communication with cowboys players. Jerry was thinking too hard because they played a talent games. Just respect them for our business games. Jerry is smart when they kneeling for Prayer before the national athem. Then they stood up for National Athem our flag USA. I think, it is a great..
Share 49ersWebzone